Supply drop?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2013, 07:24 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What would suddenly be causing my supply to drop significantly? I had plenty of milk for the longest and then over the last week or so I've noticed Avery sucking her hand a lot more frequently and hardly getting anything when I pump. I just tried pumping after nursing. She only nursed one side and I still only got 1/2 oz between both breasts. She still falls asleep nursing and I can still express a little after she eats so I know she's getting full, but this quick sudden drop has me concerned. I haven't been able to pump enough to make up for the freezer stash I've used, so eventually I'm going to run out of stored milk. DH is stopping to get fenugreek on his way home. I looked at the mothers milk tea but read it takes like black licorice which makes me gag as it is. If the fenugreek doesn't work I might have to try it though. I haven't started AF yet and even took a UPT that was negative just to make sure. I'm drinking 1-2 cups of coffee a day and 2 quarts of water a day. Any other suggestions?

We also started planning meals and eating better right around the same time. I am going with a 1800 Cal limit right now that I frequently go over by a couple hundred, so I'm actually eating around 2000 cal/day. Is it possible I cut myself to low and need more calories?

Last edited by misty3281; June 19th, 2013 at 07:33 AM.
June 19th, 2013, 07:31 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Could the caffeine be causing a dip? Is she drinking more at each feeding, so you would have less to pump? Has she increased time in between feedings lately? If so, maybe try a pumped session in between feedings rather than directly after a feeding.

Also, pumping in the am is when you are supposed to get the most milk. My supply seems to dwindle around 4 pm or later.
June 19th, 2013, 07:38 AM
It was only 830am when I tried pumping today. She is actually nursing less at each feeding. Anywhere from 5-15 minutes at a time, which I read was normal as they get older and more efficient at nursing. Time between feedings is pretty much the same. She goes about 4 hours at night and 1.5-3 hours during the day.
June 19th, 2013, 08:36 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Could it be that your body is just tailoring your supply to her needs, and you don't have any excess?

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 19th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Joy I sure hope not. If I don't have enough to pump I'm going to have to start buying formula for when I can't nurse and I really don't want to have to do that.
June 19th, 2013, 10:02 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maybe you can bump it up. What about pumping in between feedings, even if you're not getting much? It should tell your body to make more.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 19th, 2013, 10:06 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
I don't think your doing anything wrong. Some days are like that for me as well. The tea really works for me. I also pump more during that day I feel low. Usually my supply will pick back up the next day. I will also give him a bottle of formula just once during that day to help fill him up and to help give me time to build up a supply again. I need to start pumping more and freezing the milk. Im afraid once I go back to work in Sept. my milk supply will diminish: (

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search