Question from a August 2013 mom about how you measured and how big the baby was.

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2013, 05:34 PM
Regular
I just have a question for all the new moms:

How big were you measuring? Both doctor measuring your belly and u/s, and how big did your baby end up being?

I'm measuring 2 weeks ahead and the baby has been big in the u/s. Getting nervous! lol
June 22nd, 2013, 06:02 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I was never told my measurements so I have no idea! All I know was that at 20 weeks I was right on track.

My baby was born at 39 weeks, 5 days. She weighed 7 lbs, 6 oz.
June 22nd, 2013, 06:21 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I had tons of ultrasounds/measurements at the end because I was having complications. One of which was an excess of fluid, which can make measurements inaccurate.

At 34 weeks, my belly was measuring 34 and baby was supposedly 5lbs, 12oz. Which was about a week ahead.

At 36 weeks (35+6) my belly was measuring 38 and baby was supposedly 7lbs, 6oz. Which was two weeks ahead.

At 37 weeks (37+1) my belly was measuring 42 weeks and baby was supposedly 8lbs, 3oz, which was 2.5 weeks ahead.

I delivered at 37w6d and baby was 7lbs on the nose.

I wouldn't get too concerned about it at this stage. Babies grow at lots of different rates and those measurements can be off for a number of reasons. I will say that the guesses I was given for each of my sons were closer to accurate. My first was right on target, my second was about 6oz smaller than guessed.

But I'll say, it was easier to birth my second, who was my largest by 1lb, 5oz than my peanut of a first (my third was my easiest out of all, but not the smallest). So there are lots of things you can do to help a big baby come out easier, even if you do end up with a big baby.

Super big thanks to Jaidynsmum for my cool siggy!
June 22nd, 2013, 06:54 PM
Regular
Thank you. I guess I'm worried because my first was measuring big (they were thinking like 9 - 10 lbs!) but was born a week late and was 8.4, but was a very long, hard labor, nearly 4 hours of pushing and I tore ...my second was measuring on time, was a shorter easier labor, 3-4 pushes and out, no tear, and he was 7.10 I have just always assumed it was his smaller size that made him easier. Doc has said it was more likely because he was the second...but the tear, idk I would think that is more about size.
June 22nd, 2013, 07:23 PM
Brock's minion
I measured heads up the entire time had my son at 39 weeks induction.

Michelle
June 22nd, 2013, 07:59 PM
Kenzie's Avatar Photography Momma
I measured a week ahead on ultrasound the whole pregnancy and had gestational diabetes. My son was born at 39 weeks and weighed 7 pounds 15 ounces.

Last edited by Kenzie; June 23rd, 2013 at 03:49 AM.
June 22nd, 2013, 08:10 PM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
I was measuring right on track, fundal-height-wise. I also had gestational diabetes (diet controlled) but never had an ultrasound to check for her size, since I was measuring on track.

When we got to the hospital, the on-call ob/gyn palpated my belly and said "oh, this is going to be a big baby...at least 9 and a half pounds".

She ended up being 8 lbs, 1 ounce. Honestly, I really think they just have no idea.
June 22nd, 2013, 08:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't remember how I was measuring relative to how far along I was, but two days before he was born the ultrasound tech guessed 9 lbs 3 oz and baby was born 9 lb 7 oz. I had a terrible labor/delivery but I'm not sure how much of it was because of the size of the baby. I wouldn't worry if only because the stress won't help anything
June 22nd, 2013, 08:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
- My 2nd was 3 whole lbs bigger than my first and I pushed way less time and had the same amount of tearing.

- I've measured as much as 6 weeks ahead, and then later on in the pregnancy, it evened out and I measured on target.

- I've measured exactly 40 cm at 40 weeks and had a 10-lb baby. I've also measured exactly right and had an 8.5-lb baby.

- I've had u/s measure one of mine half a pound too small, and I have heard other ladies say their u/s measured a number of pounds off, either big or small

Size doesn't mean anything and they really have no idea. Two weeks ahead means absolutely nothing.
June 23rd, 2013, 04:26 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The fundal height measurements and u/s weights are just a guessing game. I wouldn't rely too much on them weight wise. My fundal height always measured right on track. At my 36 week appt the girl that measured said I measured a week ahead. Since I had preeclampsia and IUGR and had already spent a week in the hospital because of her small size I just guessed she was a little off with the measuring since she was new. As far as u/s size at 33 weeks she measured 4 lbs, 34 weeks was 5 lbs 9 oz, 36 weeks was 5 lbs 13 oz and she was born at 37 weeks 5 lbs even.
June 23rd, 2013, 05:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I never had any u/s at the end but my midwife said he was big and he only ended up being 7lb 11 born at 39w 1 day so he was early he was smaller than my daughter who was 8 lb abs she was overdue my labour only lasted three hrs so was really quick but I did tear like the other ladies have said I wouldn't go by what u/s there usually not accurate

June 23rd, 2013, 05:10 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I measured about 2 weeks ahead with DS1 and he was 8.13. They told me DS2 would easily be a 9 lb baby and he was 8.7.

June 23rd, 2013, 05:31 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Interesting how every single person's measurements were not accurate. Why do they even bother doing them? They just cause anxiety!
June 23rd, 2013, 08:23 AM
Super Mommy
I measured all over the place. At one point he measured 3 weeks ahead. They induced me at 38 weeks because the ultrasound showed he was very tiny with a large head. They guessed around 4 pounds. He came out PERFECTLY proportioned and weighed 6lbs 11oz. Needless to say- I don't trust ultrasounds for size and weight anymore.
June 23rd, 2013, 10:07 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I also wonder why they bother with a technology that seems to cause more worry than anything else

To the OP...my third was my easiest Maybe yours will be too! My first was the hardest to birth (labor wasn't bad), my second was not nearly as hard to birth (11min, 5-6 pushes and no tearing), and my third was a piece of cake to birth (about 2 minutes, 1 big push, and no tearing). I think position can play a role in tearing as well. Your first might have been positioned worse than your second coming out (my first was rotated sideways coming out, instead of the desired face-down, so his head did not compress as much as it could have). I hope it's an easy labor and delivery no matter what size baby is!

Super big thanks to Jaidynsmum for my cool siggy!
June 23rd, 2013, 01:00 PM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
at my 20 week ultrasound he was measuring a week ahead, but my fundal height was right on track the whole pregnancy. he was born at 38w3d and weighed 7 lbs 12 oz

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search