Bottle issues

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2013, 03:20 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was all excited Avery was taking a bottle without any problems for a month. Now all of a sudden over the last week and a half she is totally refusing it. My mom has had to call me back home twice now because she is crying her heart out hungry refusing the bottle. I have been using Avent. I went and bought a nuk bottle today but it didn't make a difference. This sucks! I have to figure out how to get her to take a bottle again. My mom said I might have to start pumping full time and feeding her just by bottle, but I really don't want to do that. As convenient as it would be for everyone, I really enjoy my time with her nursing. I really don't want to break that bond yet. I know it's all up to Avery, but DH is working today so I just needed to talk to someone about it today.
June 23rd, 2013, 04:14 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont blame you. I saw some bottles that looked a lot like a breast on Amazon that ive never seen in stores. Id order one and see if thatd. Work for her. Rather than giving up BFing id just start gibing her a bottle a day so she stays use to it when you find a bottle she will take.

June 23rd, 2013, 05:13 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Yeah, I wouldn't give up breastfeeding at all. Just keep working with her. She'll get it! Try all different brands. When do you have to go back to work?
June 23rd, 2013, 05:48 PM
I went back June 1st. The beauty of my job is I'm only on call, but when I am on call it's 7 days in a row 24/7. By some miracle I haven't been called in yet. I've been to meetings and left her and she did fine. It's just since this past Tuesday that she started being difficult which is why I'm so confused. She's taken several bottles already without a problem. I had gotten a similac bottle as a sample in the mail I forgot about. Going to try that and if it doesn't work we'll just keep trying different things until we find something. I have a job fair to go to tomorrow and a meeting Tuesday so we have to figure this out quick. Both for Avery's sake and my moms sanity.
June 23rd, 2013, 06:41 PM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
Misty,

I have been using Medela bottles with Peyton and she hasn't had any problems. Those are the ones I would recommend. Also the lactation consultant told us to use only slow flow nipples (I don't know if that's what you have). If not that might help.
June 23rd, 2013, 06:59 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Playtex drop ins? I used those the first week when supplementing - haven't tried them since, though.
June 23rd, 2013, 08:08 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
I am going through the same thing and can completely sympathize. IT SUCKS! I am deeply committed to breastfeeding, but it's nice for DH or someone else to be able to give an EBM bottle once in a while. And I am dreading going back to work in September because of this.

I am so bummed right now and have tried every suggestion on the web with zero results. Thankfully, Owen will take a few ounces, but it's not a pleasant experience at all--lots of crying. DH and I have thought to just go balls to the walls with a "Bottle Bootcamp", so to speak, but it's so upsetting to hear him cry when he wants my boob. He sounds like his feelings are hurt!

All I can tell you is to keep trying, and probably just commit to one type of bottle and stick with it. I have bought every bottle out there - Medela, Tommy Tippee, Avent, Born Free, Playtex, Como Tomo, Dr. Brown...None of them have made any difference. Although out of all of them, he's been the most responsive with the Dr. Brown ones, so that's what we're using.

Please keep me posted on how it goes. But yes, it's awful!
jcperez likes this.

June 23rd, 2013, 09:54 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Even though this would be a huge pain for your mom, what about feeding with a dropper of some sort? That way the milk goes in her mouth and she's got to either swallow it or spit it out.
I would definitely stick with BF'ing too. That's pretty special and it's what your daughter really wants.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 24th, 2013, 06:45 AM
I totally forgot about the Medea bottles and nipples that came with my pump. We'll try those today too. I read on another site about somebody using a nuby sippy cup with the flow regulator that finally worked so we may try that as well.

Joy-I haven't tried a dropper but we have tried squirting a little milk in her mouth with the bottle and she won't even close and swallow. Just lets it run out or chokes on it and keeps crying.
June 24th, 2013, 06:54 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
When I give a bottle I use Dr. Browns and he seems to like it. PIA to clean but if he will take it and be happy I don't mind cleaning them.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
June 24th, 2013, 08:12 AM
I pumped some fresh milk this morning and gave it to her as soon as I finished and she took it from 3 different bottles perfectly fine. Warming some fridge milk now to see what happens. Maybe she just doesn't like leftovers.
June 24th, 2013, 09:14 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been having issues too. I stopped giving him the bottle as much because pumping is such a pain. He used to have at least 1 a day. Now when he has to have it when I'm gone he drinks it but gets very fussy after and spits up. I'm going to go purchase a slower nipple. We are using 1's. They make 0's right?

June 24th, 2013, 09:15 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Good! That's positive!
June 24th, 2013, 09:44 AM
NewlyMrs...I thought 1's were the smallest they had. But I don't know that for sure.

June 25th, 2013, 07:53 AM
So apparently she takes a bottle, any bottle, from me without a problem, maybe just a little fussing in the beginning. But she fights tooth and nail when mom or DH try to give it. I can start her on it and pass her off and she'll stay on it though. This is just ridiculous.
jcperez likes this.
June 25th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Wow Misty. I hope she gets better!

June 25th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
Just an idea (this is my first so I don't know if this will work).
It may be because she can smell you and it feels more like the real deal for her. How about giving your mom or DH something that smells like you to lay over their chest and then try to give her the bottle?
jcperez likes this.
June 25th, 2013, 01:19 PM
May 2013 Cohost
That's a great idea!
June 25th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themrs0523 View Post
Just an idea (this is my first so I don't know if this will work).
It may be because she can smell you and it feels more like the real deal for her. How about giving your mom or DH something that smells like you to lay over their chest and then try to give her the bottle?
Definitely worth trying! I'm going back to my moms tomorrow with my pump. Gonna try to pump and let her give it right after. I'll sleep with one of her blankets tonight and bring it along too.
jcperez likes this.
June 25th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty3281 View Post
So apparently she takes a bottle, any bottle, from me without a problem, maybe just a little fussing in the beginning. But she fights tooth and nail when mom or DH try to give it. I can start her on it and pass her off and she'll stay on it though. This is just ridiculous.
Same exact thing I'm experiencing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search