Baby's sleep

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 2 Post By rheaimedved
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2013, 09:16 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to know...am I the only one whose baby is not sleeping more than 2 hours at a time at any given time? On Jessica's question post it seems like everyone is getting at least 4 hour stretches at night now. I'm just curious so I can be properly disappointed if I'm the only one! I thought I put my time in with my first son...he slept like Kody does now, only he did it for the first 8 months of life. Thank GOD I wasn't working or I would seriously have had a nervous breakdown. So I thought, maybe now I'll get a NORMAL kid...but it doesn't look like that's happening!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 24th, 2013, 09:26 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
No, you aren't the only one. I know there are tons of babies who are just like Kody. It's actually pretty normal at this stage to be getting 2 hours.

Now, Jo does give me longer stretches sometimes. But she also has tons of nights where she is up every two hours. And tons of nights where her first stretch is 4 hours...but then followed by every hour after that. She also has occasionally been staying up for an hour or so around 4am. I started giving her bio Gaia drops to see if it helps with her belly.

But don't think you are alone. Some nights I am really frustrated because she won't let me lay her down in her crib, or because she is restless and/or up a lot. They are still really, really young and even good sleep habits...or bad ones...are not going to stay at this point. It's a crapshoot.
EverydayJoy likes this.
June 24th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Thanks Ashlee! I guess I just have to give it time!

June 24th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Veteran
You are definitly not alone!! Tiago will sleep a solid 3-4 hours at first then down to 2 or less. And during the day it is hour naps or so and no more.
June 24th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Michelle, hey at least you get 3-4 hours at the beginning! I don't even get that!
rheaimedved likes this.

June 24th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Joy, we never get more than 2 (sometimes 2.5!) hours at a time. Although it sounds like it might just be the two of us to be so lucky!

I have a theory that it's a survival mechanism to keep us awake so that nothing bad can happen while he slumbers. Also, he doesn't even let us nap. If he's sleeping and we lie down with him, he'll immediately wake up. It's quite the talent!
EverydayJoy and MrsNHigh like this.
June 24th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Wow lucky you Rhea! Kody is napping a lot right now, usually I have to lay down with him right at the start of the nap so I can get the full hour. But then if I lay him down too quickly he does wake right back up. I've had him wake up many times too from me laying down in bed while he is in his bassinet, and he hears the shuffle of the sheets and wakes up. Little booger! Having a fan on in our bedroom sometimes helps with that because of the background noise.
Usually I have the best luck if I get him to fall asleep in my arms, then gently lay down on the bed with him still in the crook of my arm. Then I sleep like that and I get the full hour's nap, and sometimes he'll go right back to sleep and sleep another hour afterwards.
rheaimedved likes this.

June 24th, 2013, 11:09 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Joy, give it some more time. As you know, things can change daily. This am I only got a catnap from Lexi. Bummer.

Have you given more thought to trying reflux meds? That might help Kody sleep better - reflux could just be his issue?
June 24th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
^ I think Lilah might have reflux. She has started SCREAMING murder after every bottle. It's HORRID. She doesn't spit up at all, but has a lot of wet sounding burps.

She does sleep at night though....and doens't seem overly uncomfortable after her night time bottles, so maybe she's just a miserable baby!

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
June 24th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Kary, we are already trying Zantac. Hope it works. So far he seems to nurse better. No better on sleep though.

June 24th, 2013, 03:51 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Oh ok. How long has he been on it? Hope it works!
June 25th, 2013, 03:29 AM
Almost a week now, I believe. But he caught a cold just a couple of days into it. So I'm not sure if his fussiness and sleeping is affected by being sick.

June 25th, 2013, 01:28 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I bet it is related to his cold. Hang in there. And, Joy, think about this. What is normal?! Every kid has their quirks and every parent has their challenges to deal with. I know it's so hard, but sometimes we have to adjust our attitudes. I always try to say to myself, "it could be a lot worse." That helps me when I'm feeling down. I get down a lot bc of the issues we are having with our older son. We have recently realized he may be on the autism spectrum. He will be starting occupational therapy in July to help him deal with some of his issues which are interfering in his daily life.

He had problems from day 1. Reflux. Then he was diagnosed with torticollis at age 2 months, and then low muscle tone around 8 months. He was late on every single milestone. He didn't walk until he was almost 17 months old. I was so stressed out. I had to take him to physical therapy once a week since he was 3 months old. Not to mention the ongoing neurologist appointments. We just stopped going to physical therapy this past February bc insurance was no longer paying for it. We also had to do speech therapy for a year, completely out of pocket. All I longed for was a "normal" child. But he is my normal. He's all I've ever known. He's loving, funny, sweet, and very smart. We just have to make do with what we've been given! Maybe there's a reason we are given children with special needs - bc we can handle it!

I would take fussy. Kids grow out of fussy. Some of the issues my son has will not be grown out of. Make the best of what you are given!

Last edited by kary4; June 25th, 2013 at 01:33 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search