Breastfeeding in public

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree35Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Hey Kim, if you get a window seat and your hubby sits next to you, nobody will even notice! Get a nursing cover to use, too. You should be ok on the plane!
My husband won't be able to go with me, unfortunately. I will definitely invest in some sort of nursing cover, though.

June 25th, 2013, 07:20 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjl View Post
I feed my baby whenever he wants, no matter where I am.

I don't use a nursing cover but I am very discreet. I cover all skin possible and the baby's head hides the rest. I find a nursing cover to be MORE obvious than not using one. most of the time when I am sitting down feeding him people just think I am holding him until they get close enough to look at him and then realize.

I have had people walk over to me to see the baby and then be like "whoa nelly, that baby is totally nursing." Lol. It's kinda comical...especially if their head snaps around like they saw a dead person, not the top of my boob, which is basically less than the big giant signs in the windows of Victorias Secret.
MrsNHigh and Shufu_in_Shunan like this.

Super big thanks to Jaidynsmum for my cool siggy!
June 25th, 2013, 08:44 PM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've nursed just about everywhere we've gone: Olive Garden, the pool, doctors office. I use a receiving blanket to cover and he latches on pretty well without guidance. I'm just at a D cup from a B cup, so they aren't gigantic (my husband can't keep his eyes off them though!). I never nursed in public with ds1. Not at all the whole year, but times and circumstances change.

Nichole
June 26th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Veteran
I would really love to but havent plucked up the courage yet. Have a lovely nursing cover so nobody would notice but haven't seen anyone else doing it so really feel like people might stare. Will definitely at some stage though especially as it becomes quicker and easier to latch.
jcperez likes this.
June 26th, 2013, 04:53 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmom View Post
I would really love to but havent plucked up the courage yet. Have a lovely nursing cover so nobody would notice but haven't seen anyone else doing it so really feel like people might stare. Will definitely at some stage though especially as it becomes quicker and easier to latch.
Ya know now that you mention it I haven't really noticed anyone else nursing when I've been out either. I know I'm not the only person in the south nursing in public so maybe if I'm not noticing them then nobody else is noticing me. The only ones that really pay attention are the little kids, especially little girls, because they see her feet sticking out and want to run up and see the baby.

I will say DH was all super watchful of others and constantly trying to cover me more even with the wrap in the beginning, but even he is all "do what you gotta do" now. Avery will be fussing in the car and I can hear him tell her "wait we're almost there and moms gonna pop out a boob for you". It can be pretty funny.
EverydayJoy likes this.
June 26th, 2013, 05:07 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shufu_in_Shunan View Post
My husband won't be able to go with me, unfortunately. I will definitely invest in some sort of nursing cover, though.
Hmmm...I would be uncomfortable too if a stranger were sitting next to me on a plane and I had to nurse. I'd probably bring bottles of breastmilk and pump in the bathroom, but only if baby were strapped in a carseat in her own seat, obviously, or if hubby was there to hold the baby.

I would highly recommend getting baby her own seat anyway - it's safer and you can be hands free, especially since you will be traveling on your own. You have to be able to eat and go to the bathroom. And deal with luggage.
June 26th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post

I would highly recommend getting baby her own seat anyway - it's safer and you can be hands free, especially since you will be traveling on your own. You have to be able to eat and go to the bathroom. And deal with luggage.
with the added bonus of paying for two tickets!
EverydayJoy likes this.
June 26th, 2013, 02:21 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've flown with Ethan on my lap when he was a baby, and I gotta say it's easier to have an extra seat, if you can afford it. It's doable to fly with them on your lap but your neck ends up killing you from holding them the whole way.
rheaimedved likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 26th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Yeah...there's no way I can justify spending an extra $1,600 *minimum* (and that's rounding down the cheapest tickets a lot) just to be a little more comfortable. There's not only the plane tickets to consider, but the train tickets I have to buy to get to Narita Airport (I'm not close to Tokyo at all, so it's an expensive journey). I also really can't see being able to transport a car seat around the airports, getting on and off trains, etc. There's no way I'd be able to carry a car seat and luggage on my own. I'll actually probably have to not take any luggage other than a backpack because I'm planning to bring my (very large) cat back from the states with me (yes, I may be crazy, lol). I won't go into any more details here, since I'm getting off-topic from the thread. To be honest, I'm really very stressed out about the whole thing and I've lost a lot of sleep over the situation over the last several months.
rheaimedved likes this.

June 26th, 2013, 04:56 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Aw, try not to stress too much...you'll figure it out. Maybe you can get the bulkhead seats with the attached crib. For that long of a flight you have got to be able to put her down for a little bit, so you can eat and pee....have you been using a baby sling or wrap?
Shufu_in_Shunan likes this.
June 26th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shufu_in_Shunan View Post
Yeah...there's no way I can justify spending an extra $1,600 *minimum* (and that's rounding down the cheapest tickets a lot) just to be a little more comfortable.
Oh my goodness. Never mind! I would never spend that much on an additional seat just for a carseat. A sling or baby wrap would help SO much in this situation, then you could do whatever you needed to do and Kaledra could just sleep in it. Some of the positions in different wraps allow for breastfeeding, too, and might offer you some additional privacy for that. I nursed Ethan on the plane for a couple different flights, and while I was nervous about it at first, I don't recall having any problems with it. I just used a cover. In my experience most seat-mates on airplanes just don't want to be bothered, so they won't be looking over at you. My best suggestion is nurse her during takeoff and landing (when the cabin pressure changes a lot). With Ethan, he refused to nurse at those times because he wasn't hungry exactly then, so he screamed during takeoff and landing. But it was short-lived and he settled down once we were in the air. He slept amazingly on the plane. Better ever than at home!

I did several flights by myself, with a small baby, and I can testify it can be done. It might be a little tough at times but not impossible. I had the baby, the stroller, the luggage, and the carry-on big ol' diaper bag. A stroller was really helpful for me, and you just leave it at the door of the plane and they stow it for you, then you get it set out ahead of you when you disembark. You just keep a little ticket that matches one they stick onto your stroller for pickup.

June 26th, 2013, 06:17 PM
I have a Moby Wrap. She always sleeps pretty well in it on trains and buses. I haven't tried nursing in it yet. I was thinking of getting a regular carrier when she's a bit bigger, since it seems like it would be easier to get her in and out of one of those (and easier to put on myself), but then I'm not sure how easy nursing would be with one when I'd have to take it off to nurse. I'm pretty short-waisted, so even nursing in the wrap might take some practice...okay, a lot of practice lol.

June 26th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I have a K'Tan wrap and I was able to nurse in it, although it was in the privacy of a restroom, and Kody only had access to one side because of his position. There are other positions---maybe straight up and down so their head could go to either side? You could use a soft carrier instead and just unbuckle the straps partway maybe for nursing...hmmm...it is a dilemma for sure! Maybe you could practice at home and find what works best for you.
And, if worst comes to worst, it's 10 hours, so it will come to an end! It is a long time. But, doable.
Definitely get a neck support pillow for yourself, too. That way you can try to sleep sitting up.

June 26th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I feed Arthur wherever we are whenever he gets hungry. My baby's need for food trumps anyone else's comfort. I do have a nursing cover (with boning at the neck so I can get a really clear view of him and that helps with getting him latched-which we are still in the process of mastering) and I use it most of the time, however I don't have any issues feeding uncovered if need be.
I am a little surprised at how I feel about it now that he's here because I do have strong views on modesty, and being respectful of others, but really I am not sacrificing those values while feeding my baby.
I was a 38 E before pregnancy, and having a large chest makes absolutely no difference in my ability to feed him anywhere.
mrsjl likes this.

June 26th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Veteran
Oh, Kim, I should actually share my experience. I flew with my daughter alone when she was 5 months old, the flight was less than three hours but the flight got delayed ( crazy Chicago weather!) anyways, I asked the agent at the gate if there's a place I could pump and he was super nice and took me to the company's private room so I could pump. Then when on the plane, the stewardesses were super helpful, I asked if I could use their small room/kitchenette in the back and they let me go their with baby, they even made me tea!! So keep these options in mind.

I did take the infant cars eat with me, and the stroller too, before I got on the plane I asked if they have any open seats and if they have any, they will just let you have it for the baby, free of charge, otherwise, they'll just take it as you're boarding and you can get it back when you land. Hope this helps and good luck. I am still terrified of flying overseas, it'd be a 12 hour duct fight... But with two babies now.. No! Lol
June 26th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBunnyMama View Post
Oh, Kim, I should actually share my experience. I flew with my daughter alone when she was 5 months old, the flight was less than three hours but the flight got delayed ( crazy Chicago weather!) anyways, I asked the agent at the gate if there's a place I could pump and he was super nice and took me to the company's private room so I could pump. Then when on the plane, the stewardesses were super helpful, I asked if I could use their small room/kitchenette in the back and they let me go their with baby, they even made me tea!! So keep these options in mind.

I did take the infant cars eat with me, and the stroller too, before I got on the plane I asked if they have any open seats and if they have any, they will just let you have it for the baby, free of charge, otherwise, they'll just take it as you're boarding and you can get it back when you land. Hope this helps and good luck. I am still terrified of flying overseas, it'd be a 12 hour duct fight... But with two babies now.. No! Lol
Thanks for sharing your experience, it's encouraging! I'm so glad a direct flight opened between Seattle and Tokyo. It used to be a much longer travel time because I'd always have layovers, so it was more like a 17 hour journey (plus the hours it takes to get to the airport). I can't even imagine trying with two babies alone!

June 26th, 2013, 10:38 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I would never attempt traveling on my own with two now.
June 26th, 2013, 10:46 PM

June 27th, 2013, 05:07 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Heck, I don't even attempt the grocery store with two now! Lol.
June 27th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Kary, I haven't yet---I'm too afraid! lol! But I will have to soon.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search