Naps...What's your style?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By LolaBadola
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By kurly
  • 3 Post By 4 boys
  • 2 Post By Liztastic

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
Do you let your LO cry it out or do you rock/nurse etc them to sleep? I am so confused about what the "right" thing to do is. I know our LO's are still very young and most of us just take their cues, but on the other hand, I would love to establish good sleep habits now so we don't have a child down the road who can't fall asleep on his own (like my daughter). Crying it out seems so cruel to me (at this age), but I'm not sure how healthy it is for him to need my boob to calm him and to fall asleep, especially considering I am going back to work full-time in September. Just now, he was clearly getting tired. I fed him, he played for a little bit, and then when he started to fuss, I put him down, but he started screaming. It was awful. I kept going back in there every few minutes, trying to console him, until he finally fell asleep. Ugh. So much easier when he falls asleep while nursing and then I just lay him down.

BTW, I'm reading "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer" right now. It's totally confusing the hell out of me.
jcperez and rheaimedved like this.

June 25th, 2013, 01:51 PM
May 2013 Cohost
At this age, I feel if she cries, it means she needs something. I'm not comfortable letting her cry it out. I just try to figure out what she needs and give it to her quickly. If I have fed and changed her, maybe she needs another burp? Or maybe she's still hungry? How about the paci? Maybe she wants to be swaddled? It's just trial and error right now, but I think I'm starting to figure her out better.
jcperez likes this.
June 25th, 2013, 01:56 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I usually nurse Avery to sleep. I don't see anything wrong with it if that's what she likes. I'll nurse her in the rocking chair until she falls asleep and then rock another 10 minutes or so to make sure she's out and then lay her in her pack n play to nap and she does great. See no reason to change what works. Crazy thing is I'll try the same routine at night except put her in her crib and she immediately wakes up. It's crazy. I don't have the heart to make her cry it out, and really she's too young for that anyway.
June 25th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
At this age, I feel if she cries, it means she needs something. I'm not comfortable letting her cry it out. I just try to figure out what she needs and give it to her quickly. If I have fed and changed her, maybe she needs another burp? Or maybe she's still hungry? How about the paci? Maybe she wants to be swaddled? It's just trial and error right now, but I think I'm starting to figure her out better.
I totally agree. But then what if all needs are met and there is still crying? Like just now he was fed, burped, changed, swaddled, and even rocked just a little.

June 25th, 2013, 02:09 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaBadola View Post
I totally agree. But then what if all needs are met and there is still crying? Like just now he was fed, burped, changed, swaddled, and even rocked just a little.
Have you tried laying her down to play? Avery sometimes will get tired of being held and cries to play in her bed. I turn on her mobile and lay her down and she smiles and kicks her legs excitedly.
June 25th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Super Mommy
I do "cry it out" as longs as the major needs are met- food, diaper, no pain. He's getting so much better now. Actually last night after I bathed, fed, burped, and put him down awake, my husband and I went right in to bed (ahem) and when we were done I went to check on the baby and he was totally awake - pushed up on his arms looking around (he sleeps on his tummy). It was so funny! So he had just been in there hanging out, not making a sound for like 30 minutes! He now knows once he's in bed- it's quiet time.
LolaBadola likes this.
June 25th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't do cry it out at any age, but that's just me!

With Lilah, the only place she'll go to sleep on her own is the swing and sometimes the bouncy seat. She gets to the point where I can't even get her to sleep, I don't know if she just can't get comfortable or what, but if she's super fussy and I know she's tired I can put her in the swing and turn the bee mobile on up above her....she'll look at that for a while, then just drift off. The other thing I can do that works equally as well is put her in the Ergo carrier - she will be asleep within 2 min of going in there. She LOVES it.

Sometimes the swing won't work and she'll start to scream, but still scream if I carry her...in which case I just have to keep walking around with her screaming until she cries herself out and falls asleep. I hate it when that happens.

If I laid her in her bassinet or her crib, she'd never go to sleep on her own.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
June 25th, 2013, 03:44 PM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
I think every baby/situation is different, and you have to do what works for you.

I could not do cry it out with Claire, because she goes so quickly from 0 to 60 (starts off with a whimper, and immediately escalates to purple-face, bulging veins, stop-breathing crying) and that makes me sick to my stomach. She's a very fussy little girl, and I'm pretty sure has colic--she can cry from 6 to 10 every night.

Last night was particularly tough, because DH had gone up to bed (when he's working I hang out with the baby so he can sleep) and it was just Claire and I, and NOTHING was working to soothe her. Our usual go-to--bouncing on the yoga ball--had apparently lost its appeal. I was hot, sweaty, and sore from holding her for 3 hours. My muscles kept cramping up, and just when she'd drift off to sleep, I'd have to move my arm or shoulder or whatever to relieve the cramp and it would wake her up and start the screaming all over again. I have to admit I cried a little with her.

Honestly, I don't think she'd "cry it out" even if I let her--I'm pretty sure she'd continue to cry for hours and hours and not fall asleep. There's no way I could even make it past 5 minutes of that, for sure.
June 25th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There are times when you have tried everything and you know baby needs to sleep. In those situations, there is nothing wrong with letting them cry.

We've been doing this with Cadence since she was born. Now I can put her down fully awake and she will go to sleep on her own 90% of the time. If she cries, I will often check to see if she needs to burp or a diaper change or whatever, but if not, she stays in bed. Other times she cries for about 10 minutes before she sleeps, but it's not screaming; it's only half-serious.

There are, of course, exceptions to the rule and times where she is just "off" and won't sleep. So I rock her or she'll fall asleep on us and we'll put her down once she's sleeping. But our goal is to get her falling asleep on her own most of the time.

It's hard to let them cry the first few times, believe me, I get that, but they learn so quickly and it gets easier. Plus, it pays off huge in the long run.
kurly, rheaimedved and Mrsbowbin like this.
June 25th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used CIO with DS1 as a last resort. I wouldnt ever do it at this young age tho.

I swadddle and change Roman before his last nursing then lay him down for bed. Hes always asleep but if do the same even if he wasnt. To me its not a big deal bc I figure hell always be fed and rocked before bed. When hes old enough for that routine to chance then well figure out what works when that time comes.

June 26th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Veteran
I also read secrets of the baby whisperer and took what I could from it but doesn't always apply to every baby. DS takes a long nap in the middle of the day right after feeding so there is absolutely no way I could incorporate an activity in there and then he just has short catnaps where ever we are for the rest of the day. I do like her idea of a nice flexible routine as it makes my life so much easier!
I generally make sure he is nice and calm and VERY drowsy but not quite asleep and put him in his cot. He does have a pacifier too which helps him to go to sleeps but luckily he spits it out on his own and doesn't need it to stay asleep. I have put some simple striped material around the top of his crib which he loves to look at and I often just leave him there with his eyes just open watching the stripes. He then generally falls asleep on his own. I definitely wouldn't use CIO at this stage, I think its too early. Just carry on with soothing and putting back into the crib slightly awake for as long as it takes. At the end of the day though whatever works for you and keeps you sane!
June 26th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
I've never done CIO, just not for me. I can't stand listening to my little one crying because to me it means she needs something so I'll try everything and usually something works whether it's bouncing her, patting her bottom, rocking her or just laying down in our bed and snuggling her - also sometimes she just wants her big sister which I think is adorable. My very soon to be 12 year old definitely has a knack for her baby sister Watching Madalynn get Tilly settled in for her nap is the sweetest thing I've ever seen. If none of those things work I just talk to her while she's crying because I feel like when she's crying she is talking to me trying to tell me something because that's they're only way of communicating right now.
kary4 and MrsNHigh like this.

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
June 26th, 2013, 05:21 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
I agree with Kary. I just cant let him cry it out at this stage. I feel if hes crying at this age, he needs something. His cry breaks my heart too. Its heart wrenching, like I broke his little heart, then the bottom lip starts to quiver. Forget it, im a total sucker! I usually nurse him to sleep too. Its what works and what he wants right now.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
June 26th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For naps during the day he usually sleeps on us, or in the car (if we're heading somewhere) and he falls asleep sometimes after a feeding, sometimes after being held or played with, it's not like there is only 1 trick to get him to sleep, and there is very little regularity to his day time sleep schedule. Just whenever wherever.

This doesn't interfere with his night schedule where he is held until he's asleep, or is put down very drowsy with soothing music.

June 27th, 2013, 02:04 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I rocked DD1 until she fell asleep and it was a difficult habit to break for both of us. With Caroline, I started on day 1 with feeding, changing, burping, rocking for a snuggle and then into bed even if she was awake. She falls asleep on her own almost immediately unless there is a burp that I didn't get out. Sometimes she just wants her binky to suck on. Most times, she won't even take the binky. All the trial and error with my first daughter totally paid off.
June 27th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We haven't started naps/routine. She's in a sling most of the day so she just naps in there. I guess I hadn't even thought of it yet.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search