horrible 2 month check up!

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By misty3281

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2013, 10:59 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
it was just horrible. I feel like a terrible mom. 3 shots and 1 oral rota virus vaccine? my pediatrician is really cool though. I feel like im talking to a friend and she reassured that I was doing the right thing. she said she went to a seminar yesterday about vaccines and said its so much worse if he were to catch one of those nasty diseases. she said its only going to get worse and they are planning on giving more vaccines in the future to kids. it just seems insane. she told when she was done giving him the shots that he really had like 8 different vaccines today because they mix 2 or 3 of them together. that seems insane! poor baby was all smiles before then screaming with each shot. the oral vaccine was bad too, he hated it! she said to expect him to get a fever....great. how did all your babies do with 2 month shots if you got them? I'm debating giving him Tylenol now, but I guess I should before he gets a fever.

he only gained 2 lbs. making him 10 lbs. 8 oz. she said 2 lbs is good to gain in 1 month. he really isn't a great eater. whether I nurse him or give him a bottle, he takes 2 ounces, takes a break for 20 or 30 minutes then will drink maybe another ounce.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
July 1st, 2013, 11:25 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Avery got her shots last week and did about the same. She got the oral stuff first and did fine with that. She cried through the shots obviously but as soon as they finished I let her comfort nurse and she quieted right down. I did give her Tylenol when we got home and again before bed. The next day she was perfectly fine. The good thing about doing them now is 5 minutes after it's done they don't remember it. I waited and took her bandaids off with her bath so it could loosen them up. She was a little clingy and fussy that day but never got a fever or anything. Don't feel bad for doing what's right for your baby. You're a good mom, it's just hard to watch our babies being hurt.
jcperez likes this.
July 1st, 2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks Misty She also had to put more of that silver nitrate on his belly button again. It just doesn't want to heal?

July 1st, 2013, 11:41 AM
Super Mommy
My little guy had his. He had a slight fever for the rest of the day and The morning of the next day. We gave Tylenol every 5 hours at the recommendation of the pedi. He never showed signs of pain at the shot sight though- so I don't think it was too bad.

It was sad to see him cry when they did them though!
July 1st, 2013, 12:00 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's always sad when you have to do things for a baby's health that cause temporary pain. I can relate! I'm sorry. But it's over now, and just snuggle that baby and give him lots of loves!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 1st, 2013, 12:01 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I'm dreading our visit - it's this Wednesday.
July 1st, 2013, 02:45 PM
Veteran
I am totally dreading ours. Even more so because it's on my birthday That was the only day they had available. Oh I hate to hear him cry in pain, I just know I will cry right along with him.

July 1st, 2013, 03:32 PM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
When Claire was 2 weeks old, she had to have blood drawn--from her VEIN--because one of the genetic tests they screened for at the hospital came up positive (luckily, it ended up being a false positive and everything is ok). My husband sat with her while the phlebotomist had to poke her THREE TIMES (the first time, she missed the vein...then she went in the other arm, but only got half the amount she needed, so she had to go back to the first arm again). I just sat in the hallway and sobbed, because she was screaming her head off and it was the most horrid thing in the entire world.

So I totally feel your pain. I'm really not looking forward to the 2-month appointment.
July 1st, 2013, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabLover13 View Post
When Claire was 2 weeks old, she had to have blood drawn--from her VEIN--because one of the genetic tests they screened for at the hospital came up positive (luckily, it ended up being a false positive and everything is ok). My husband sat with her while the phlebotomist had to poke her THREE TIMES (the first time, she missed the vein...then she went in the other arm, but only got half the amount she needed, so she had to go back to the first arm again). I just sat in the hallway and sobbed, because she was screaming her head off and it was the most horrid thing in the entire world.

So I totally feel your pain. I'm really not looking forward to the 2-month appointment.
ohhhh....I know that pain as well. when remy was admitted to the hospital at just 4 days old the dr. took blood from a vein in his little hand. it took a good full 5 minutes for her to get the amount she needed. she said baby blood is extremely thick and flows slow. I sobbed along with him the whole 5 excruciating minutes and wanted to deck the dr.

July 2nd, 2013, 03:53 AM
Veteran
I have to go tomorrow and am absolutely dreading it. Luckily DH has taken off work to come with me because I know I am going to sob as much as LO!
July 2nd, 2013, 07:41 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have to get Kody's tongue-tie clipped today and I'm dreading it! Hope it's not too bad.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 2nd, 2013, 10:21 AM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
the crying is the hardest part. I had no idea that DD1 was going to get shots so it was a huge shock to me and just terrible. It was hard this time but at least I knew what was coming. I gave Caroline tylenol before the shots and we had no issues. With Natalie, she did fine until about 7 PM that night when she would not stop crying. DH had to go get Tylenol while I sat at home with a screaming baby. She stopped crying immediately after taking the Tylenol so I planned ahead for Caroline. I'm glad she doesn't have to go back for two more months.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search