Are you worried about a flat head?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lilah has a pretty darn perfect head right now. I am so afraid that because she spends SO much of her day in the swing, that she'll end up with a flat head. I would wear her more in the Ergo, but it's boiling hot here, and I'm so tired that the thought of toting her around in the Ergo is exhausting - though I do use it when we go out (like today when I took my girls to the park).

I try to keep her up to play when she's awake, but she just always wants to be in the swing for some reason - awake or asleep, it's by far her favourite spot. I can't get her to sleep in my arms without her completely screaming and losing it, but as soon as I put her in the swing, she's out like a light.
Skimboardin Mama likes this.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
July 5th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think as long as she's only in it for some if the day she should be fine Joshua is in his chair quite a lot if the day sometime but if u have other kids they have to be in a swing/chair so u can get stuff done x

July 6th, 2013, 08:43 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Not really. She has a nice head too, and is my first back-sleeping baby. But I just try to have her in other postions during the time she is not sleeping or content in her rock-n-play. I wouldn't fret about it too much. I would try to move her head to the sides (like she is looking sideways in the swing) when she is sleeping. Maybe it will help to prevent her from looking straight up and getting a flat head, KWIM?
EverydayJoy likes this.
July 6th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
we alternate his position enough that i'm not particularly worried about it. yet.
July 7th, 2013, 06:30 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I'm always worried about this. I do a lot of positioning with Lexi so she's not always sleeping on the same side. My son had torticollis and was in danger of developing a flat spot, so we got pretty aggressive with positioning and tummy time and luckily avoided the helmet.
July 7th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Kenzie's Avatar Photography Momma
Aww, kary. My sister in laws daughter has torticolis. She is 6 months old now. I'd be interested in hearing about him if you felt like sharing.
July 7th, 2013, 08:34 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not too concerned here, I do tummy time and try to sleep him on his side as well as his back. I think he'll be ok...he's got a ring of bald spot that goes all the way around his head in the back, from laying on the back and sides, haha.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 7th, 2013, 07:00 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I pretty much worry about this every minute of every day. At his 2 month appt he was developing a flat spot. I've been very careful about making sure I rotate it, but man this boy loves his swing too! We have an appt tomorrow with a physical therapist to check him out but I'm fairly certain he doesn't have torticollis.

July 7th, 2013, 07:36 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Hey Melissa,

I have tons of experience with torticollis...so feel free to PM me if you have any questions. We did physical therapy once a week starting around 3 months. Tummy time is really important too - try to increase it. I think at one point I was up to 30 minutes a day, twice a day, with my son.
July 8th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Sweet_Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
My second son loved the swing and I had no idea about him developing a flat spot. He did and my doc just told me to rotate him and it took a few months but we did. Johnny only likes to face one wayand he ddeveloped a flat spot as well but its on the side of his head so I constantly turn him to the other side. Still working on getting his head even...

Kelsey Wife to Chris with 3 little gremlins and one on the way!!!
Jacob 08/09
Jesse 01/11
Johnny 04/13
Jaxon 07/14

"In MY world of PINK I am surrounded by BLUE!"

July 10th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sophia has torticollis, I just found out at the Dr appointment yesterday We're working on changing positions and more tummy time, hopefully it improves soon or she'll be going to physical therapy.
July 10th, 2013, 09:43 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Bummer, Rhonda

I've been there and it's hard! Did the pedi show you stretches?
July 11th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Lilah loves her swing too. We try to lay her on her side in her bassinet at night to make up for napping in the swing all day.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
July 11th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Bummer, Rhonda

I've been there and it's hard! Did the pedi show you stretches?
Yes, she showed me what to do and I'm putting her on her tummy a lot more now too. Pedi wants to see her in a month to see if there is improvement. I made the mistake of googling it, but I'm hoping for the best. I feel bad because I noticed that she favored her head to the right but I didn't think much of it and thought it would just go away with age, I didn't realize it was a condition
July 11th, 2013, 02:07 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry Rhonda. Hope she improves this month. I know how it feels to worry about it .
Rhonda66 likes this.

July 11th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not even worried a little bit. Arthur sleeps through the night flat on his back, but otherwise is held or in a carrier etc. He tolerates his swing, and bouncy chair, but really doesn't love either, which is fine by me. It sounds so stupid, but I've had a few women (all nurses oddly enough) ask me if he was a c-section baby because his head is so round, I really took it as a personal achievement (although I really did nothing to make this happen) so I don't mind holding him as much as possible to keep his head nice and round... it's just a by product of spending so much time bonding with the little guy!
EverydayJoy likes this.

July 12th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
Well I am now! Koa will only sleep on his sides..... I don't want him looking like Johnny bananas from the mtv real world/challenge shows. that guy is such a tool lol
crunchywannabe likes this.

December 9th, 2013, 05:15 PM
At my DD's 3 month appt, it was recommended to take her to cranial technologies for an evaluation of her head. After her evaluation she was recommended treatment with a helmet for 6-9 weeks when she turns 4 months old. I want to know if people have experience with the helmets this young and what the results were. I am debating whether or not to use the helmet since I have been all over the internet and there are pros and cons to it. My DD has alot of hair for a 3 month old and it breaks my heart to have to cut it for the helmet, but will do it if necessary. Because family is very critical my husband and I are just going to keep it between us and when family is around not have the helmet if we end up getting. Any comments or thoughts?
December 9th, 2013, 06:09 PM
May 2013 Cohost
There is a window that the helmet will work and that is now. By one year of age the bones fuse and you can't really change head shape. Insurance sees it mainly as cosmetic so will not cover it. It's a hard decision but you need to make it quickly.
December 9th, 2013, 06:14 PM
May 2013 Cohost
My thoughts are that you should go with what your pedi thinks - they see enough babies to know who really needs it and who doesn't. It's a short period of time to wear the helmet compared to a lifetime of head shape.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search