Donating breast milk

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By rheaimedved
  • 1 Post By rheaimedved
  • 3 Post By markswife
  • 2 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 3 Post By SunnyBunnyMama
  • 1 Post By rheaimedved
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By SunnyBunnyMama
  • 1 Post By markswife

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have about 200 ounces of breast milk in my freezer and we're embarking on a cross-country move in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking I should just donate it before we go, unless there's some reason I should transport it with us that I'm not thinking of??? I pump almost twice as much milk as he eats, plus he still nurses about 60% of the time. I've already checked to see if I qualify to donate (I do).
Sweet_Mama and SunnyBunnyMama like this.

Last edited by rheaimedved; July 9th, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
July 9th, 2013, 02:31 PM
May 2013 Cohost
It would be one less thing to worry about...I'd probably donate it. Will you have enough milk for the trip and to set you up for a few days when you get there?
July 9th, 2013, 03:02 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
It would me wonderful for you to donate it! It prolly wouldn't be good in the move anyway, unless you could keep it absolutely frozen the entire time. And it sounds like you don't need it if you are saving that much up. I know plenty of mamas would be so grateful to get it!
July 9th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Super Mommy
Hmm, I am in a similar position. I have about the same amount frozen and I am not sure if I can transport it with me if I end up leaving in the fall. But I do know that in order to donate it to a breast milk bank, they'll need to test it and from what I understand, there must be a large amount of milk. On the other hand if you want to transport it, it's really expensive. You'll need to buy dry ice (which is unsafe to for the little ones). I remember with my dd when I asked my dh to send me a few bags of my frozen bm by mail, it was like fifty dollars for few bags.. Which is insane, and we ended up not taking that route anyways.

Maybe if you personally know some moms who would like to use it, then just do that. But I personally wouldn't use another mother's milk.. But I am just a paranoid person.

The good part is, we don't really need that milk (yet, at least) so we can do without it.
July 9th, 2013, 05:58 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is so awesome. I know there are a lot of babies in need. I would totally do it if I had extra! This kid is sucking me dry

July 9th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok I'm gonna donate, then! I've just been throwing it in the freezer because I know it won't get used quickly and don't want it to go bad. I pump around 40 ounces a day in addition to the breastfeeding.

Alternatively, I could start a breastmilk-based food blog..?!!??
EverydayJoy likes this.
July 9th, 2013, 06:51 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used Human Milk 4 Human Babies on Facebook to find a mom in my area that needed milk. I met her at the mall and filled up her cooler in her trunk. I was so happy to see it leave my freezer and she was so grateful. Maybe there is a mom in need in your area that you could donate it to.
July 9th, 2013, 07:02 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Rhea...I read that one restaurant makes cheese out of breastmilk...maybe you could sell yours and turn a profit! LOL!
Mrsbowbin and SunnyBunnyMama like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 9th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
Rhea...I read that one restaurant makes cheese out of breastmilk...maybe you could sell yours and turn a profit! LOL!
Yikes! I'm going vegan, that's it!

But now that you mentioned it, I could jump in the wagon and make profit too. My milk would make kosher cheese lol

Last edited by SunnyBunnyMama; July 9th, 2013 at 07:16 PM.
July 9th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A friend told me about a place in London that sells breastmilk ice cream! I could totally give that a shot, my breastmilk has really high fat content.

Thanks for the advice, Mark's wife. I'll look into that, too!
EverydayJoy likes this.
July 9th, 2013, 10:08 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck Rhea, although I can't say as I'm interested in sampling their wares. lol!
rheaimedved likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 9th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Mark's wife-- how did you decided who to give it to? Was it just first-come-first-serve? I'm seeing there are many women in the area that could use it and want to help them all! Also, can you share what made you decided to donate directly, rather than to a milk bank?
July 10th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Super Mommy
This is cool, Rhea. I hope you will help someone. Unfortunately for me it's a bit complicated, I am not allowed to donate my milk to just anyone for religious beliefs. Giving my milk to another baby will automatically make him/her my child too bc they will be having my 'blood' inside of them. Crazy I know. But back home people do it all the time, it's very common to breastfed other people babies, but again, they also become their children too ( not adopted, and don't move in with the new parents, they still live and grow 'normally' with the original parents). But on Holidays for instance, they'd visit the donor and treat her as a mom. Also they are not allowed to date or marry the donors' kids bc they become siblings too. So, bottomline, if I want to donate it, it has to be someone I know and someone I'd want to become 'my child' too.

I do ramble too much, don't I? Haha
rheaimedved likes this.
July 10th, 2013, 08:13 AM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I couldn't donate to the milk bank here because you had to be approved in advance before they would take your milk. I was going to get approved this time and just spaced it off.

I just went through the people that were looking for milk and left messages for them to contact me if they were still looking. A couple wanted documentation from my doctor and other personal information I wasn't willing to divulge. I understand their concern but I didn't want to spend the time jumping through the hoops. The mom that got it was the first to set up a meeting so all I had to do was load it up and drive it four blocks up the street.
rheaimedved likes this.
July 10th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBunnyMama View Post
I do ramble too much, don't I? Haha
No! That's really interesting! I can understand how it would be difficult to donate, then, especially since you haven't been where you are now very long. I hope you figure out something to do with it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search