Question about supply

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 2 Post By Themrs0523
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By jcperez
  • 2 Post By NewlyMrs

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2013, 09:49 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I got a little too relaxed about pumping a few weeks ago. Now I'm making just enough to feed him and not able to pump any extra. Unfortunately I've used up most of my freezer stasch. My mother in law is watching him Wednesday and I think I have just enough, but I want to have more in the freezer. I've tried pumping more, drinking tons of water, eating oatmeal, drinking mothers milk tea, and taking Fenugreek. Nothing seems to help.

Do you think my supply is established and I'm out of luck?

July 16th, 2013, 10:16 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It might be, you're past the 12 week mark, right?

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 16th, 2013, 10:23 AM
May 2013 Cohost
When does Grady go to bed? Pump consistently after his last feed, like 5 min each side, for at least a week...I bet you'll slowly see an increase. Don't worry, you can increase your supply.

I haven't even started pumping yet - I am so not motivated! But I probably should get her started on an evening bottle so I can consolidate the evening feeds.
jcperez likes this.
July 16th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Yes he is 15 weeks.

He goes to bed usually between 7:30-8. Last night I pumped after his last feeding and got 1 oz...not great but ill take it.

July 16th, 2013, 11:34 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Keep doing it for a week and watch it increase. I'm going to have to do the same too.
jcperez likes this.
July 16th, 2013, 11:41 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You could even try doing a couple of night pumpings. I always seem to get more full at night than during the evening...I hear your supply usually dwindles in the evenings. Maybe middle of the night will give you more?

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 16th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
My midwife said to pump first thing in the morning (bc that is when you have the best supply). If you could get up like an hour before him to pump, then you would still have enough for him by the time he wakes. Or if you think that might not work, you could just pump one side and leave the other for him.
EverydayJoy and jcperez like this.
July 16th, 2013, 12:40 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also agree that in the morning is the best time to get the most from pumping. A couple of times I have been able to pump 6 ozs after Caroline has eaten in the morning. Crazy! Stress can also affect your supply so I would keep pumping and try not to worry about it. It's not the end of the world if you don't have a freezer full of milk. You just need to cover Grady's needs. Otherwise, you will end up with bags and bags of unneeded milk in the end and getting rid of that is a whole other stress.
July 16th, 2013, 01:25 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I'm considering just letting her have a bottle of formula rather than worry about pumping. I have a dentist appointment this week so I probably will do that.
EverydayJoy likes this.
July 16th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Thanks ladies!

Kary, I am considering that as well. I'm leaving my mother in law with some just in case. It makes me a little sad but at the end of the day all that matters is that he's full and happy.

July 16th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's what I do I make up formula if someone else is watching him my supply is really low now so I'm just able to feed him x

July 16th, 2013, 04:27 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I'm torn. I feel guilty if I leave formula but I'm just so wiped at the end of the day with two kids that I don't have the motivation to pump. Heck, I haven't even taken the pump out of the box. I think I need to buy the accessories still.
July 16th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
what fenugreek dosage were you taking and for how long?

July 16th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
there's some good advice here! i think if you're diligent about pumping a lot, there's a good chance you'll see an increase. keep a log of how much you're getting and when (time of day, if it's after a feeding, how long did he eat, etc) so you can see if it changes over a couple of weeks. i hope you're successful!
July 16th, 2013, 06:24 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Im trying to get a good stash going for when I go back to work in Sept. I have about 120 oz. so far. My supply was low a few days but I consistently pumped and like magic it came back. I have been waking up engorged in the mornings even after I have fed him so thats when I pump. I do supplement with formula every now and then...I think that helps. I don't want to use my stash in the freezer until I really need it in Sept. so when I need to give a bottle I give formula, sometimes I cut it half formula and half breastmilk. I think when I go back to work I will make bottles half and half so my freezer supply will last longer too. As long as hes getting some breastmilk everyday I will be happy. Im hoping I will be able to continue breastfeeding in the mornings and night after I start going to work.
Skimboardin Mama likes this.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
July 19th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimboardin Mama View Post
what fenugreek dosage were you taking and for how long?
I was taking 2 a day since he's been born and upped it to 3 pills last week.

Good news is I've seen a total increase in my production! Yay! Now I just need to work on rebuilding my freezer stasch.

Thanks for all your help ladies!
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.

July 19th, 2013, 12:38 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Yeah! Do you think it was the fenugreek or just the consistency of pumping? How long did it take to get back up would you say?
July 19th, 2013, 05:26 PM
I'd say it was mostly lots if water and pumping. Took 5ish days.

July 19th, 2013, 06:38 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Ok, good to know in case I decide to pump.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search