Latching

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By markswife
  • 2 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 2 Post By misty3281

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2013, 01:37 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK, so I feel like Kody sometimes is a total dunce about latching. He still hasn't quite gotten it down pat. I try to shove as much areola in his mouth as I can, but he will still do loud clicks at times and lose suction and get frustrated, especially during letdown. I wish he would get the hang of it!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 18th, 2013, 01:40 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Caroline slurps and also likes to take a drink and unlatch and then take another drink and repeat that over and over. So annoying.
rheaimedved likes this.
July 18th, 2013, 01:41 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Same here! Lately she has even been crying at the breast! It's mostly when latching on my right side...it's like she has completely forgotten how to latch. It takes several attempts...then she's crying and I'm sweaty, anxious, and frustrated. It's worse when my supply is low, I am noticing.
July 18th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Oh yeah I feel your pain! It's frustrating getting milk squirting and dripping all over the place. I already smell like sour milk most days! grrr...

July 18th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
mark's wife-- misha does exactly the same thing sometimes! it's so bizarre. other times he latches and eats like a champion. sometimes he straight up refuses. i gotta admit, pumping has taken a lot of pressure off.
July 19th, 2013, 01:43 AM
Veteran
My Lo has also started refusing food, especially in the middle of the night. He screams and screams which makes me feel terrible and wakes us all up properly which then mean we have fight to get him bac to sleep. Just took him t be weighed to make sure everything is ok and he has been putting on way too much weight and is probably screaming because he really doesn't want to eat! Poor little guy I've been force feeding him for days! Apparently because he is older and very big for his age he can go longer between feeds and I need to not just assume he is hungry every three hours like he used to be. I feel so stupid that nine weeks in I stll have NO idea what I'm doing most of the time! Being a mom is hard work!
July 19th, 2013, 04:55 AM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheaimedved View Post
mark's wife-- misha does exactly the same thing sometimes! it's so bizarre. other times he latches and eats like a champion. sometimes he straight up refuses. i gotta admit, pumping has taken a lot of pressure off.
I thought maybe it was because I was so engorged in the morning that it was hard to latch on but it happens off and on all day. Sometimes it means she has a burp but others it doesn't. I go back to work today so I'll be pumping much more regularly. We'll see if that changes anything.
July 19th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmom View Post
My Lo has also started refusing food, especially in the middle of the night. He screams and screams which makes me feel terrible and wakes us all up properly which then mean we have fight to get him bac to sleep. Just took him t be weighed to make sure everything is ok and he has been putting on way too much weight and is probably screaming because he really doesn't want to eat! Poor little guy I've been force feeding him for days! Apparently because he is older and very big for his age he can go longer between feeds and I need to not just assume he is hungry every three hours like he used to be. I feel so stupid that nine weeks in I stll have NO idea what I'm doing most of the time! Being a mom is hard work!
Kody keeps me guessing sometimes too! He will get a routine of feeding and then totally change it up and it's hard to read his cues sometimes!

July 19th, 2013, 05:42 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have to tell Avery all the time my breasts are not a slurpee buffet. She'll act all hungry and I put her there and she'll slurp around till I say something then she looks at me and just smiles all big with my nipple all in her mouth. It's actually kind of funny. I sometimes think I'm feeding her too much too. I just figure if she's hungry she'll eat, if not we'll try again later.
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.
July 19th, 2013, 07:36 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Jo still has her own latching issues. I think it's pretty common. My second, I had to hold his latch (aka: hold my boob *just so*) for our entire nursing relationship...15 months! He had a weak latch and I am large chested. Jos issues involve clicking and repeatedly un latching as well. I have tried to fix it, but she doesn't seem bothered by it (except occasionally), and she is growing fine. So I guess I just wait and see if it self-corrects or not. But she likes the boob buffet too...she will just hang out there if I let her!
July 19th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Well at least Kody's not the only one! Most of the time the clicking doesn't bother him, but I have to be sure to burp him well because he seems to swallow a lot of air when he does it.

July 19th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Veteran
My son did that a couple of times, then I realized he was not hungry, he was just tired. As soos as I started rocking him, he'd fall asleep right away.
July 19th, 2013, 01:57 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBunnyMama View Post
My son did that a couple of times, then I realized he was not hungry, he was just tired. As soos as I started rocking him, he'd fall asleep right away.
This too. If she's doing the slurpy thing and when I close my shirt she starts sucking her hand I stick her paci in her mouth and rock her and she usually will go right out. It's all just trial and error. If the first doesn't work we go to the second, then third and so on.
July 19th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Joshua will only take one side now my left side and most days it's a job getting him to latch he fusses so much I think it's just because he's having bottles now as we'll and its more work for him to breast feed x

July 20th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl046100 View Post
Joshua will only take one side now my left side and most days it's a job getting him to latch he fusses so much I think it's just because he's having bottles now as we'll and its more work for him to breast feed x
Brian did exactly the same thing! He would also only take my left side and refuse the right. I expressed the right and fed it to him in a bottle and he drank the whole thing so I know he was hungry. Have found that if I hold him in a different position he then takes the right. If I lie him like he is going to drink from the left and then slide him over to the right side so he is sort of in the football hold he will then latch and drink fine. He still does it sometimes and I just switch the position and he drinks fine. Once he has started drinking I can then unlatch him and hold him in the normal cradle position again and he drinks fine. Complex little people!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search