Self soothing

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By Mrsbowbin

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2013, 01:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When do they start to do it?

This is our problem, and this why Lilah is such a bad sleeper at night. She wakes up and she can't put herself back to sleep, so we have to give her a bottle (even if she's not hungry, which is annoying because my hard earned breast milk goes to waste!). She's actually hungry after her 5 hr stretch, so around 1 or 2am she drinks the whole thing and goes back to sleep pretty well now. After 3 more hours though, she just wakes up and isn't overly hungry, but can't go back to sleep....so we have to get her up, change her, attempt to feed her, cuddle her a bit, then lie beside the bassinet (same height as our bed) putting the soother in her mouth over and over again for what can be hours. She then sleeps restlessly until she wakes up for the day around 5:30am....it's awful! I really wonder if anyone has ever died from sleep deprivation, because I really feel like I might. There just doesn't seem to be an end in sight for this.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
July 21st, 2013, 02:27 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A cheat I do with Kody when he's fussy, doesn't want the paci or the boob---dip the paci in sugar water. I'm sure there are all sorts of reasons why I shouldn't do this, but it works to settle him down (sometimes takes a couple dips to get him to stop crying), and if he's tired, he'll start falling asleep.
I'm sorry you're getting so little sleep! That sucks!! It was awful with my firstborn, so I can relate! It must be even worse with older children though because you can never even attempt to catch up during the day!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 21st, 2013, 06:48 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They actually showed me the sugar water trick at the hospital so it can't be that bad if they use it! They said to use it sparingly of course, but it can definitely help you. Sophia does the paci spitting thing too and I usually have to rock the bassinet while giving her the paci and then she'll take it, then I have to keep rocking the bassinet until she goes to sleep - if she's super fussy, I'll sit on the floor so she can't see me and rock the bassinet and sometimes that will work too lol. If I'm really having trouble getting her to keep the paci in her mouth, I'll put a blanket up close to it so that she can't easily spit it and many times that will keep it in her mouth long enough to get her to sleep, then I take the blanket out. It's like walking on eggshells every night, but she's usually asleep by 9 and sleeps through to about 5:30am now so no complaints.
Some kids are just tougher though - my DS was colicy and impossible, he just didn't seem to need sleep, he still doesn't and is still the higher maintenance of the 2 - it took us 6 years to recover and even think about having another - so sometimes you just have to get through it as best you can.
July 21st, 2013, 06:50 PM
May 2013 Cohost
My OB used the sugar water/paci with my first during his circumcision. She said that helps with pain. I don't know why she didn't use the numbing cream.
rheaimedved likes this.
July 21st, 2013, 07:15 PM
Kary...no numbing cream??? How awful!
With my first they did numbing cream and a nerve block to the genitals, and still did the paci with sugar water. I was pretty impressed.

July 21st, 2013, 08:26 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I think it takes a while for self-soothing to happen. At least in my experience (6 months or later). Sorry she is giving you a run or your money. I went through it with my boys, but Jo isn't too bad of a sleeper at night (daytime is a whole other story!)
July 21st, 2013, 08:40 PM
Brock's minion
My buggers biggest problem is that he can't get his **** thumb to stay in his mouth!!! It drives is both bonkers
EverydayJoy likes this.

Michelle
July 21st, 2013, 09:53 PM
Mrs. B, mine is just discovering his but it's hit and miss! Frustrating, huh?

July 22nd, 2013, 12:03 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
I think it takes a while for self-soothing to happen. At least in my experience (6 months or later). Sorry she is giving you a run or your money. I went through it with my boys, but Jo isn't too bad of a sleeper at night (daytime is a whole other story!)
Same problem here! Suppose it is better that way round!
July 22nd, 2013, 04:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd LOVE if she slept all night, and barely napped during the day. I'd be fine with that! My other two are up anyways, so what's one more?! As it is, she's a pretty good napper during the day, but won't sleep longer than 5 hrs at night, and after that 5 hr stretch is done, 3 hours later she's ready to get up which is always 5-5:30am. HARD.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
July 22nd, 2013, 05:59 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
When Remy was in the hospital for 2 nights for jaundice they would calm him down with sugar water. I know because I saw a container of it with a medicine dropper next to his incubator. They used it for his circumcision as well...no numbing cream either. I pleaded for it but the Obs says there really is no evidence that it works and it actually seems to cause more harm than good because it causes redness and swelling making it more difficult to circumcise. Im going to try the sugar water on the soother tip..Thanks Joy! If the dr.s use it then we can too! : )

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search