Bumbo question

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By misty3281
  • 4 Post By rheaimedved
  • 2 Post By jcperez
  • 1 Post By misty3281

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2013, 04:00 PM
Brock's minion
So my dude is just about twelve weeks now and has great neck control. We are wondering when's the right time to start in the Bumbo? Is it even worth it? Should we take it back etc? Any help would be great.

Michelle
July 22nd, 2013, 04:59 PM
Super Mommy
Yes- the bumbo is AMAZING!! Don't return it, I promise you will get your use out of it. My guy has good neck control as well, so I put him in the bumbo for about 3 minutes at a time, twice a day. We will work up from there.
July 22nd, 2013, 09:48 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love the Bumbo too! I haven't put Sophia in it yet because of the torticollis, but will as soon as we can.
July 22nd, 2013, 11:06 PM
May 2013 Cohost
My son had torticollis and ended up having low muscle tone as well. He was late with all his milestones and was very shaky sitting for a long time. I didn't feel comfortable getting him in the Bumbo until 8 or 9 months. Prior to that, it was all about tummy time. Kids with low tone or torticollis or any kind of developmental delay are not recommended to use things like jumpers, exersaucers, Bumbos, etc for extended periods of time bc it is thought that these take away time from actually working on their core muscles, which are best developed on tummy time. A good pediatric physical therapist will tell you that. We did physical therapy for over 3 years.
July 23rd, 2013, 12:02 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You all have probably seen articles on the Bumbos but I just wanted to mention, be careful having it up on an elevated surface because there have been babies who have tipped theirs over or fallen out and gotten hurt. I'd recommend having it on the floor at all times.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 23rd, 2013, 05:22 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
My son had torticollis and ended up having low muscle tone as well. He was late with all his milestones and was very shaky sitting for a long time. I didn't feel comfortable getting him in the Bumbo until 8 or 9 months. Prior to that, it was all about tummy time. Kids with low tone or torticollis or any kind of developmental delay are not recommended to use things like jumpers, exersaucers, Bumbos, etc for extended periods of time bc it is thought that these take away time from actually working on their core muscles, which are best developed on tummy time. A good pediatric physical therapist will tell you that. We did physical therapy for over 3 years.
Tummy time is all but nonexistent here. Now that she figured out how to roll, as soon as I put her on her tummy she flips herself over. Every once in a while she'll stay on it for a few minutes, but never too long.

And I don't have a Bumbo because I was worried about her falling and hurting herself but I guess if she's on the floor and I'm right next to her when she uses it then the chance of that is low. Might need to go invest in one.
rheaimedved likes this.

Last edited by misty3281; July 23rd, 2013 at 05:24 AM.
July 27th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
Does the bumbo also act as a booster seat as well? We had the bumbo with DD but are excited we have a bebepod with DS. I think it straps to a chair to act as a booster (not sure it will be high enough later) and comes with toys.

July 27th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimboardin Mama View Post
Does the bumbo also act as a booster seat as well? We had the bumbo with DD but are excited we have a bebepod with DS. I think it straps to a chair to act as a booster (not sure it will be high enough later) and comes with toys.
No, they make a separate booster seat. The bumbo is only intended for use on the ground.

Misty, you might consider how big she is, percentile-wise. I've read some things that say bumbos are really only good until 22 lbs, and thigh size can also affect whether or not a baby fits. Plus, once a baby can sit on their own, it loses value pretty fast. For a number of reasons I am not even considering getting one (despite their popularity), but if you do, I'd probably recommend looking around for a used one. I'd recommend that to anyone, for most baby products, but especially ones that are only good for a short period of time.
July 27th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Super Mommy
I didn't use one with dd and don't plan on using one now. I let my kids sit on their own when they're ready, no need to rush it and cause damage. I remember I used to surround my dd with pillows and blankets when she was almost four months, of course I was always on her side. She started sitting without support at five months.

I say let them just be babies now... It's much easier than what is to come.

Last edited by SunnyBunnyMama; July 27th, 2013 at 07:36 PM.
July 27th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Super Mommy
A big thing we use them for is feedings. Even if they can sit unassisted, we plop them in there right in front of us. Eliminates the need for a high chair.

I guess like all baby gear- some things work for your family and some don't. I agree with Rhea- see if you can find a used one if you aren't sure if it will be beneficial. For me, I have seen how great they were for my nieces and nephews, and the bumbo was LITERALLY my first baby purchase.
July 27th, 2013, 07:58 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I got a Bumbo as a hand me down, and I liked it. It came with the tray and it was just a cool place for my son to sit and play wth toys. And I didn't have to worry about him falling over. It was also great for travel. It did only last a couple of months, though, before he outgrew it.
July 28th, 2013, 06:50 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheaimedved View Post
No, they make a separate booster seat. The bumbo is only intended for use on the ground.

Misty, you might consider how big she is, percentile-wise. I've read some things that say bumbos are really only good until 22 lbs, and thigh size can also affect whether or not a baby fits. Plus, once a baby can sit on their own, it loses value pretty fast. For a number of reasons I am not even considering getting one (despite their popularity), but if you do, I'd probably recommend looking around for a used one. I'd recommend that to anyone, for most baby products, but especially ones that are only good for a short period of time.
just bought one today for $5!!!!! on the local swap site in my town. no way im spending $45 on a seat he will outgrow in a few months...
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
July 28th, 2013, 06:54 AM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I see them all the time at yard sales for around 5 bucks. That's how I got mine. I don't feel comfortable using it yet. Anna's head still wobbles a bit.
July 28th, 2013, 07:06 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I LOVE resale shops for baby gear. If I see one I'll get it, if not no biggie. Children learned to sit all on their own for thousands of years.
rheaimedved likes this.
July 30th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I loved the bumbo and started using it at 1 month with all my kids. My boys had EXCELLENT head control where as Sera is still a bit wobbly and doesn't hold her head up straight so I don't keep her in it for long. I think she's like that because I hold her all the time. She may be my last so i'm trying to enjoy every moment I can with her

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search