Starting solids

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree23Likes
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By 4 boys
  • 1 Post By misty3281
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By Erin80
  • 1 Post By jcperez
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 2 Post By rheaimedved
  • 2 Post By Rhonda66
  • 2 Post By misty3281
  • 2 Post By kary4
  • 2 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By realmom
  • 1 Post By misty3281
  • 2 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By 4 boys
  • 1 Post By 4 boys

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2013, 03:38 PM
May 2013 Cohost
So what age will you be starting solids this time? The recommendation is anywhere from 4-6 months of age. With my first, we started cereals at 5 months, then moved to fruits/veggies at 6 months. Last time I was able to make all of my own baby food (organic) except for the cereals, which I store bought. I used the Beaba Babycook to make the food and it was super easy. Ill probably do the same this time around. I just ordered a new Beaba - the Pro version - which can make twice as much food.

What are your plans?
Skimboardin Mama likes this.
July 22nd, 2013, 04:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I will probably wait until 6 months. I started my other kids at 4-5 months but this time, I'm in no hurry and don't see the point of starting early, unless of course at some point before 6 months I think she needs it.
July 22nd, 2013, 04:28 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan on starting cereal at 4 months and I'll progress from there depending on how she does. Every time I think we're doing good with the bottle she goes back to refusing it and sitters are getting nervous about keeping her while I work so I think our EBF days are numbered. As soon as I can get her off the breast I'm going to have to.
July 22nd, 2013, 05:14 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
We will wait to 6+ months. We won't do puréed at all, straight to bits of food. We did it with our older two too (although my first got some purées as well as food bits) and love it. Easy peasy.
July 22nd, 2013, 06:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
6 months.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
July 22nd, 2013, 06:43 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Going to prob. start cereal at 4 months. I like making my own food as well. Going to look into that cookbook Kary. I just baked and mashed everything. I wont start fruits or veggies until 6 months. What does everyone introduce first? Fruits or veggies? With my first the dr. said fruits, so I did fruits. With the second dr. said veggies because once they acquire a taste for sweets they wont want the veggies, so I was kind of thinking starting off with veggies.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
July 22nd, 2013, 07:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't plan on starting before 6 months, and if we go a little past that, I'd be ok with that too. I don't think there is a 'magic number' that suddenly makes baby ready for solids. I plan on going directly to baby led weaning, and am looking forward to not having to deal with purees.

I'm really enjoying our breastfeeding relationship and A hasn't been introduced to a bottle yet either. I just dread having to prep and serve and clean up anything right now... As well this all means that cloth diapering is going to go from a cinch to a lot more complicated very quickly!

July 22nd, 2013, 08:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I used to think 6, but now I'm thinking more like 4 or 5, depending on whether he's developmentally ready, since I' like to try baby-led weaning. I'm gonna skip rice cereal altogether due to the arsenic concerns. Our pediatrician suggested that we could start early if we wanted, largely because of his gigantic size. He also cited some research from Sweden that showed a reduction in allergies if solids are introduced between 4-6, and that despite it being counter-intuitive, the data were solid. We'll see what happens!
Skimboardin Mama and MrsNHigh like this.
July 22nd, 2013, 08:45 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As soon as the pedi says it's ok! Sophia gets Similac Advance exclusively now and that stuff is crazy expensive - she also seems like she wants to eat solids already, she was eyeing the ice cream DS was eating yesterday so I put a spoonful near her face and she was ready to go! She was not happy when I didn't let her have it either.
July 22nd, 2013, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda66 View Post
As soon as the pedi says it's ok! Sophia gets Similac Advance exclusively now and that stuff is crazy expensive - she also seems like she wants to eat solids already, she was eyeing the ice cream DS was eating yesterday so I put a spoonful near her face and she was ready to go! She was not happy when I didn't let her have it either.
I bet she wasn't! Avery sits at the table with either me or DH more often than not when we eat dinner and she is definitely checking out everything.
Rhonda66 and Skimboardin Mama like this.
July 22nd, 2013, 09:46 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Jessica,

The Beaba Babycook is actually a steamer/blender in one - it's not a cookbook. It's a convenient little appliance that doesn't take up too much space and is a snap to clean. It's so easy to steam food using it!

Do I sound like a commercial or what?!
Skimboardin Mama and jcperez like this.
July 22nd, 2013, 11:07 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm thinking 5-6 months here, just going to play it by ear! If WIC covers it I'll just do jarred baby foods. The "good mom" in me would love to do everything from scratch but my practical side knows I'm not going to have the time or energy to attempt that. I'll probably throw in some fresh purees but mostly jarred, unless I have to pay for it myself in which case it's all home made!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 23rd, 2013, 03:14 AM
Veteran
My paed suggested starting him at 4 months due to his size. He is already weighing enough to start solids but obviously we just need to wait until his digestive system can handle it. I am going back to work when he is about 5 months so would love to have him on a few solids by then and still express to give him a bit of breast milk.
July 23rd, 2013, 04:13 AM
Since we're on the subject, how do you make your own baby food? I want to do this but I haven't found anything helpful explaining how. Anyone have any good websites or books explaining the process?
July 23rd, 2013, 05:54 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Misty,

This site was my Bible - its awesome:

Wholesome Homemade Baby Food Recipes | Make Fresh Baby Food, Healthy Homemade Baby Food, it's easy with new baby food recipes, solid food tips, baby nutrition & more!

You need a steamer and a blender. And something to store the baby food in for the freezer. I used 2 oz. baby cubes that I bought at Buy Buy Baby. I just bought the Beaba Babycook Pro. Last time I used the original Beaba Babycook. Here is the original:

Amazon.com: Beaba Babycook Baby Food Maker: Baby
Skimboardin Mama and jcperez like this.
July 24th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
We will wait to 6+ months. We won't do puréed at all, straight to bits of food. We did it with our older two too (although my first got some purées as well as food bits) and love it. Easy peasy.
Ok, Ash, explain this to me. This sounds like something I might want to do. What foods do you start with? And do they have to be old enough to handle chunks? Because some of mine haven't been ready for that until 8+ months.
July 24th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 boys View Post
Ok, Ash, explain this to me. This sounds like something I might want to do. What foods do you start with? And do they have to be old enough to handle chunks? Because some of mine haven't been ready for that until 8+ months.
this is one site that i found pretty helpful-- but hopefully others have some good ones, too
Baby Led Weaning | Is Baby Led Weaning the Best Way to Introduce Solid Foods?
July 27th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
We're going to try to wait until at least 6 months but if we go later that's okay too. I think once we started giving food was when DD started getting rashes in her diaper. I remember we tried at 6 months and she'd just push it out so we just stopped.

I read some article that says giving solids too late can also cause diabetes? We didn't start pushing them more with DD until 8months... geesh they say everything has its effects these days

July 27th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimboardin Mama View Post
I read some article that says giving solids too late can also cause diabetes? We didn't start pushing them more with DD until 8months... geesh they say everything has its effects these days
So true. In some ways it's like we can hardly do anything right, but at the same time I like to think then we can't really go wrong either.
rheaimedved likes this.
July 29th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll wait till 6 months or after. I'll wait for her cue's. I'm not going to be in a rush like I was with my other 2. Food under 1 is just for fun

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search