My baby has a cold :(

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Shufu_in_Shunan
  • 2 Post By rheaimedved
  • 4 Post By misty3281
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By Shufu_in_Shunan

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2013, 06:31 PM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
My husband has been suffering with a bad cold for about a week now, and I think Kaeldra has finally caught it. She doesn't have a fever, but her nose is a bit stuffy and she was crying inconsolably last night from about 11 p.m. until 2 a.m., when I finally got her to nurse and fall asleep. She slept longer than she ever has-- almost 8 hours (!)-- and woke up seeming happy at first, smiling and everything, but started crying as I was changing her diaper (she doesn't usually cry like that in the mornings). I'm nursing her again and she didn't give me any trouble with that like she did last night.

I've read on a couple websites to take a baby under 3 months to the doctor at the first sign of illness. Kaeldra is 2 weeks shy of 3 months, but I feel like they're just going to tell us to nurse a lot and send us home, so I'm not sure what to do. It takes up so much time to get there and back, so I feel like maybe it would be better for her to just take it easy at home. Last night was so difficult seeing her cry so hard. I was crying with her.

July 23rd, 2013, 06:42 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Hmmm...what about calling first? Do they have some sort of advice line? I would absolutely call and/or take her in if you are at all concerned - it's worth it for peace of mind. She is under 3 months - it doesn't matter if she is 2 weeks away. Things to look for - is she still making enough wet diapers? The concern would be dehydration if she's nursing less. A doctor would want to see her to assess for signs. How are her poops? Runny and watery or mucousy? What color? Continue to check her temp regularly to make sure she doesn't have a fever. If it's 100.4 F or higher (rectal temp) it's considered a fever and I would definitely make plans to take her in. They may also be able to offer some home remedies for congestion.

Last edited by kary4; July 23rd, 2013 at 06:46 PM.
July 23rd, 2013, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Hmmm...what about calling first? Do they have some sort of advice line? I would absolutely call and/or take her in if you are at all concerned - it's worth it for peace of mind. She is under 3 months - it doesn't matter if she is 2 weeks away. Things to look for - is she still making enough wet diapers? The concern would be dehydration if she's nursing less. A doctor would want to see her to assess for signs. How are her poops? Runny and watery or mucousy? What color? Continue to check her temp regularly to make sure she doesn't have a fever. If it's 100.4 F or higher (rectal temp) it's considered a fever and I would definitely make plans to take her in. They may also be able to offer some home remedies for congestion.
She's still nursing often, it was just those 3 hours last night that she kept crying (she had nursed a ton earlier, though-- 12 a.m., 1 a.m., 5 a.m., 7 a.m., then every hour from 9 a.m. till 10 p.m....she always nurses a lot, but that was slightly more than usual ), so her diapers are still the same. Her poopy diaper this morning looked normal. I plan to take her temperature a lot today. I also have a nose aspirator to help with her stuffy nose. I thought we should maybe call the hospital first, too, but my husband seems to just want to take her in, in case it gets worse tonight, when it would be more difficult to get there. She seems to be pretty content now, after nursing her. Maybe she was crying extra this morning because she had slept for so long and was hungry.

July 23rd, 2013, 10:22 PM
May 2013 Cohost
It sounds like she's doing better. What are you thinking at this point? Maybe just call?
July 23rd, 2013, 10:55 PM
Quote:
It sounds like she's doing better. What are you thinking at this point? Maybe just call?
She seems to be doing better right now, so we're just keeping an eye on her. Still no temperature and she hasn't really been crying, so that's good. I decided to finally go ahead an order a car seat, in case of an emergency. My husband is actually going to try to get a Japanese driver's license soon, so we'll need one, anyway.
rheaimedved likes this.

July 23rd, 2013, 11:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like you're doing exactly what I would do. Hope she feels better soon!
July 24th, 2013, 01:18 AM
Veteran
I would say as long as she doesn't have a temperature just keep an eye on her. As long as she is still eating I would think she is doing ok! Holding thumbs she gets better soon!
July 24th, 2013, 06:01 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Poor baby. You seem to have it under control. I think she is fine especially if she is nursing often and no temp. Just keep doing what you're doing and watch for a fever or signs of getting worse.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
July 24th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Awww I hope she's better soon. Lilah had a cold when she was just 1 week old - I had a horrendous cold the day I had her, like the worst cold I've had in years, and she caught it from me. It was AWFUL. She had a fever and everything at only a week or so old. Not good.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
July 24th, 2013, 09:53 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think in absence of fever I'd just stay home with her, so long as she's not coughing and her breathing is normal. Do you have saline nose drops? You can use those too to help keep the mucous loose in her nose so you can suction it out.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 25th, 2013, 03:05 AM
Well, I stupidly Googled about baby colds last night and got myself all worried, and then Kaeldra was coughing a bit more today, so I decided to take her to the doctor JUST IN CASE! She has the common cold and they prescribed her some cough medicine. *Phew* Better to be safe than sorry. It sure was a hot trip, though. Glad to be back home.

July 25th, 2013, 03:53 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
lol Dr Google is NOT your friend in pregnancy or motherhood. I swear google can turn a hangnail into a death sentence. Anyway glad you aren't left wondering anymore and hope she feels better soon.
July 25th, 2013, 08:25 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
SO true, Misty.
Glad Kaeldra is going to be ok!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 25th, 2013, 01:29 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I thought babies couldn't take cold medicine? It's all so different in Japan! What medicine is it?
Skimboardin Mama likes this.
July 25th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Quote:
I thought babies couldn't take cold medicine? It's all so different in Japan! What medicine is it?
Me too, but it doesn't look like anything I've seen before. I don't think most kinds of cold medicines in the US are available here (if I remember correctly, a main ingredient is illegal here). I haven't given her any of it yet because I want to look it up first and didn't have time to last night. I'll try to post again when I find out what it is.

July 25th, 2013, 06:26 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Good idea. Always best to look it up yourself first! I'll be interested to hear what you found out.
July 25th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Good idea. Always best to look it up yourself first! I'll be interested to hear what you found out.
The medicine contains 5% aspirin and 5% Mucodyne syrup, which apparently makes the mucous in your lungs thinner and more watery so it's easier to cough up. It looks like it's also prescribed to babies in the UK. The only side effect I see listed is possible allergies, but I think I'll look into it a bit more before I give it to her.
EverydayJoy likes this.

July 25th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
get better kaeldra!! the nose frida works great for colds!

July 27th, 2013, 03:11 AM
Try to consult with your doctor

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search