Need some opinions...

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By rheaimedved
  • 2 Post By jcperez
  • 1 Post By misty3281
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By 4 boys
  • 1 Post By NewlyMrs
  • 1 Post By NewlyMrs

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2013, 08:30 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
My first born was very advanced. He did everything early. He talked early and walked at 9 months. My 2nd son a bit different. He never smiled until he was about 5 months and was delayed in speaking. He didn't speak until he was almost 3 but physically he was the same as my first born. He was walking by 10 months and escaping from his crib by 11 months. Both boys were/are very physically active.

This little one smiles and coos all the time. its been 8 years since I had a baby so I wanted to see what he should be doing by 3 months old. I feel he is not as strong as my other 2 boys were. When I hold him his legs are still limp but he will tighten them once in a while but not for very long. He can hold his head up but not for very long either. His head will begin to fall down. During tummy time he still will put his head face first on the floor but he will briefly pick his head up and look around then put his head back down and look to the side. The chart I looked says he should be doing all these things with ease by 3 months. It also says he should be able to hold toys and rattle them?? Really?? I thought that was a bit too early for that. My husband, and sister in law and MIL have noticed it as well. My husband just thinks hes lazy but I cant help but wonder if its something else.

I have his 3 month check up next week. Im going to bombard the dr. with lots of questions.

thoughts?

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
July 24th, 2013, 08:53 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I'm worried about Lexi too. Her head control seems behind what it should be. She flops forward with a jerking motion constantly. She has not rolled over from tummy to back, and she seems to favor one side while on tummy time. It feels like she is slower than my son, who ended up being delayed in all his milestones. However, he actually had better head control by this age.
July 24th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Bring it up to your doctor, but I personally wouldn't worry. Babies all develop individually, with various skills come at different times. It's a good sign that he's smiling/cooing, and it sounds like he's making progress with the strength/coordination-based skills. We do exercises with Misha daily to work on his leg strength (he LOVES standing). You might invest in one of those Bumbo seats to put him in sitting positions and work on his neck/back strength.

Here's a milestone list and some specific things to be aware of are listed at the bottom: Developmental Milestones: 3 Months - HealthyChildren.org
Based on this, his leg strength sounds fairly normal (pushing up but not really standing), and he may be a bit behind on head and neck control (but that could even change in the next week!).

Make a comprehensive list of questions so you don't forget any and bring up your concerns.
misty3281 and jcperez like this.
July 24th, 2013, 09:34 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Kary, I don't think she should be rolling over til about 4 months anyway. So with that I don't think you should worry.
Skimboardin Mama and realmom like this.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
July 25th, 2013, 04:07 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agree with what rhea said. I've had some concerns with Avery, but I just chalk it up to all kids develop differently. She still doesn't reach for or bat at toys. She might grab something if I put it right next to her hand or she'll accidentally grab something while flailing her arms and she'll hold onto it for a few minutes , but it's nothing intentional. I think there are some advantages to being a first time parent. I don't really know what to expect or when to expect it so I just go with it.
jcperez likes this.
July 25th, 2013, 06:43 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
All kids are different. My middle boy took forever to get head control and be able to lift it off a surface. And he was a belly sleeper, you would think he would get it quicker. But he was huge, with a huge head and those muscles just weren't developed yet. My first was pretty typical in all ways...til it came to talking. But even that, he wasn't saying much of anything at 2.5 and BLEW up at 3. Now I can't keep him quiet, he wants to know everything, constantly. You would never know he talked late. In fact, he actually is more articulate than some kids I know who talked "on time."

Jo doesn't roll at all. Or completely hold her head up. She does move in lots of other ways though. I am not worried. She is pretty on par with what I expect at this stage. And she is so social, I figure she is working on all those talking, cooing, mimicking things right now. Kids do kinda go in spurts. So if they are advanced in one area, chances are the others will lag a bit for a while.

I think Remy sounds just fine
jcperez likes this.
July 25th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Remy sounds fine. None of my kids grabbed or played with toys until at least 4 months. Some of them rolled at 3 months but I would say 4 months is more normal.
jcperez likes this.
July 25th, 2013, 12:32 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for posting this! I've been worried that Grady isn't able to push up with his arms yet when on his tummy. But he's really strong in other areas so I try not to worry too much and remind myself that he was early. Sounds like these little ones just like to go at their own pace
jcperez likes this.

July 25th, 2013, 01:27 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Lexi doesn't push up with her arms either. How much tummy time are you all able to get in daily?
July 25th, 2013, 03:57 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We try to get about 10-15 minutes of actual tummy time play in a day. Sometimes as soon as I put her down she flips herself over though so it just depends. If she wakes from a nap or something and isn't fussing I'll leave her laying on her stomach as long as she'll stay. Her big thing now is watching tv. If I'm sitting in the rocker she'll push herself off me almost to a 90* angle so she can watch it. I really didn't want her watching tv but at this point whatever keeps her content is fine.
July 25th, 2013, 04:01 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Haha Grady is obsessed with the TV too! I'm having to keep it off during the day because he will find it no matter where he is!

But yes I agree. I don't freak out about it if he finds it once in awhile and he's content!
EverydayJoy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search