Any other carseat haters out there?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By rheaimedved
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 3 Post By misty3281

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No surprise here, my super fussy baby hates the car and her carseat. She SCREAMS in the car now, it's awful! Even if she's tired, full and has a clean bum.....she still wakes up over and over again screaming. I am so incredibly housebound with this baby! She's impossible to take anywhere!

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
July 26th, 2013, 08:01 PM
May 2013 Cohost
How does she do in her stroller? Have you been able to do any walks with her? That stinks about the carseat. Usually babies like them!
July 26th, 2013, 08:46 PM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
Does she seem sweaty when you take her out? I've heard that some babies get overheated in car seats. On one of the other boards, a lady bought a car seat liner that wicks away moisture and keeps the baby cool, which seemed to help.

Some things that work for us: rolling the windows down, hanging a little jangly toy from the handle, keeping the binky close in case she starts to freak.

One time on my way to my mom and dad's house, Claire started fussing when we were about 15 minutes out. I figured I'd just drive quickly, and she would fuss a little but get over it. BOY was I wrong. By the time we got there, she'd lost her voice from screaming so loud. She was shaking, hiccuping, screaming bloody murder. I felt so terrible, I was in tears too! She's not the type of baby to settle down once she gets going. It took her about 15 minutes of soothing to get her to come down from that freak-fest...we were both a bit traumatized.

Luckily, that's only happened once, but I learned my lesson!!
July 26th, 2013, 10:34 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kody does ok with the carseat now, but I have to time it right. If he's cranky going in, he's just going to get more cranky as time goes on, so I usually try to put him to sleep right before we leave. I always bring a bottle so Ethan (big brother) can pop it in on the way to where we're going if I need him to. That usually keeps Kody busy long enough to keep the backseat quiet.

When Ethan was a baby, he absolutely hated his carseat too, and would scream the whole way from Homer to Anchor Point (when we lived in Alaska). About 19 miles but it felt like FOREVER. I feel for you. He did grow out of it though and came to like the carseat eventually. He preferred being forward facing so we actually turned him a teensy bit ahead of schedule, hoping it would give him more to look at. He did like that. And the carseat toys help too.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 26th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
omg NO, thank god. we drove 7 hours today with no "incidents." stopped a couple of times, fed and changed him, and otherwise he either slept or sucked on his pacifier in the seat.

i know this is frowned upon by some, but i line the seat with a thin piece of cotton cloth, and it seems to help deal with the heat some. on monday we have an 10 hour drive; so not looking forward to it, but at least he's generally a calm baby and sleeps most of the time in the car.
July 26th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It may just be the seat she doesn't like, not car seats in general. If you are using an infant seat, why not try making the transition to a convertible seat now.
We went straight to the convertible and Arthur loves it. It may just be that she doesn't like being in the car for whatever reason, but you'll need the convertible at some point in the future anyways, so there is no harm in trying it out. If you find that there isn't anything you can do to make her happy, please keep in mind that you are doing what is safest for her and it's a necessary evil every time you get in the car.

I would encourage you not to purchase or use any special covers etc that are not directly from the manufacturer of YOUR car seat. Things like toys and covers have not been crash tested and could be hazardous in a collision. Time of day, length of car ride, the clothing she's in, music etc may all be altered to give yourself the best trip possible.
Skimboardin Mama likes this.

July 27th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Super Mommy
With dd, we also used a cotton cloth, one of his swaddling blanket underneath. She got fussy I think once or twice and as someone suggested, she was sweaty when I took her out. But otherwise, she was ok and always fell asleep in the carseat, of course thanks to the paci too. I also use the window shades to keep the sun away bc my daughter hates it otherwise.
Now with baby boy, he is ok in his seat, sometimes he cries a bit but he doesn't Ame a paci, I am sure that would have made a lot of difference.
July 27th, 2013, 01:22 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Avery loved the carseat at first, she would take her best naps in there. Then all of a sudden one day started screaming her fool head off every time she got on it. I thought she just stopped liking the carseat until I realized she had started fighting the carseat at the same time she started fighting her sleep. I figured out it wasn't the carseat, she just falls asleep in it and she doesn't want to sleep so she cries. Now I try to put her to sleep before she goes in, if it doesn't work after she's been changed and fed then I just let her cry while I drive. As long as her basic needs are met there's not much more that can be done.
July 27th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I may put her in her convertible seat - my oldest daughter is getting a new booster seat very soon, so Lilah will be in her Britax Boulevard. That said, I like having Lilah in the infant seat for shopping. She's too little to sit in a cart, and I don't want to put her in one of those infant seats on the cart used by millions of babies! I like the idea of putting her in the Britax, but I think I'll keep her in her infant seat for now.
She IS hot when I take her out, but I don't know if that's because she's hot in the van (neither of my other girls are) or if it's because she works herself right up screaming. She has jingly toys on her seat that she doesn't really pay attention too all that much....and she won't keep her soother in her mouth. Very frustrating!

July 27th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
Thank you for this info! I'm glad our DDC/PR has our own car seat tech as a member

They also have a cooling pad that you can freeze and set inside the house before you leave... then when the baby goes in the seat you remove the frozen pack. That's okay right? We keep our infant carrier inside due to the heat as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe View Post
It may just be the seat she doesn't like, not car seats in general. If you are using an infant seat, why not try making the transition to a convertible seat now.
We went straight to the convertible and Arthur loves it. It may just be that she doesn't like being in the car for whatever reason, but you'll need the convertible at some point in the future anyways, so there is no harm in trying it out. If you find that there isn't anything you can do to make her happy, please keep in mind that you are doing what is safest for her and it's a necessary evil every time you get in the car.

I would encourage you not to purchase or use any special covers etc that are not directly from the manufacturer of YOUR car seat. Things like toys and covers have not been crash tested and could be hazardous in a collision. Time of day, length of car ride, the clothing she's in, music etc may all be altered to give yourself the best trip possible.

July 27th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimboardin Mama View Post
Thank you for this info! I'm glad our DDC/PR has our own car seat tech as a member

They also have a cooling pad that you can freeze and set inside the house before you leave... then when the baby goes in the seat you remove the frozen pack. That's okay right? We keep our infant carrier inside due to the heat as well.
You bet! On days its really hot here I've been using my 'boobie ice packs" to cool off his seat once he goes in. Its a gel pack, so it doesn't get really hard. If it is soft enough, I think it would be ok to wrap them in a thin towel and tuck in beside them. Just not between baby and the back of the seat, or baby and the straps.

As for shopping, We put Arthur in either a sling, or my soft structured carrier (Boba 3g) and he LOVES it. If he's asleep in the car he usually stirs as I'm lifting him out, but falls right back asleep in the carrier. I have both hands free, and he never touches the cart! Or you could always bring a blanket or cover to put over the store's cart infant seats.

Sorry I meant to say cool it off before he goes in!

July 27th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Actually yes, I have been using the carrier (Ergo) the last couple of times I've shopped, so that's a good point!

I keep my infant carrier in the house, so it's always cool. Today she was super happy, I strapped her in the carseat, and as soon as I clicked it into the base, she started to cry. Then she just screamed off and on the whole drive. It's just the seat she hates, being restrained drives her nuts - she has also always hated swaddling! She likes to be able to move and stretch.

July 27th, 2013, 08:02 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Well, at least this is only temporary - before you know it she will outgrow this behavior.
July 27th, 2013, 08:14 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
The little girl I nannied for screamed bloody murder in her seat for about 8 weeks. Then, I decided to buy my own convertible for her to have in my car (I was using the infant seat, sans base) and it did the trick. I think her infant seat was too confining and it also kept the heat in around her, versus letting it dissipate. I do think it's worth a try to switch her to the convertible. If it doesn't work, you can always switch back for your ease of use.

But Liam was a seat screamer. I remember one fateful trip to my folks house (3hrs) and we all ended up in tears. We could only stop a few times and he just wasn't interested in being in his seat. It was really hard. He outgrew it around 5 months. And has been fine in it since.
July 30th, 2013, 12:16 AM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes! Sera has hated it since birth. She is sloooowly getting used to it but she always cries when I put her in it and if we stop in the car or walking too long she'll start to cry.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search