Weight

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Is anybody else concerned about their lo weight Joshua was weighed a few days ago and he's only 11lb 6oz so he's not gaining as much as they would like their going to weigh him again in 4 wks I'm still bfing but trying to give him a bottle at night and once during the day but he won't take the bottle at night keeps spitting it out he's still quite alert and I feed him at night myself then he falls asleep and doesn't wake up till half 4 or 5 x

July 27th, 2013, 08:25 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I find it odd they are concerned. My son was about that weight at 2 months. That weight puts him between 25th and 50th percentile, according to the US charts. Keep in mind that those growth charts include lots of formula fed babies who tend to weigh more. Breastfed babies can be on the smaller end. As long as he is gaining and maintaining the percentile I would absolutely not be concerned. I would only be concerned if his weight drops below the 5th percentile for two consecutive visits. Then you could be looking at failure to thrive, or even then, just have a really small baby. Please don't let them scare you into using formula. There is no need to worry! What was his birth weight?

Here's a link to the Us growth chart - you can put in his age and weight to get the percentile.

Child Growth Chart Calculator | BabyCenter
July 27th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Super Mommy
I formula feed and my guy is 12 and a half pounds at 14 weeks. He seems normal to me! Let me know what your doctor says at next weigh-in.....maybe I should be concerned too?
July 27th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
His birth weight was 7lb 11oz he was 3months exactly when they weighed him he was between the 2nd and 9th percentile now he's just below the 2 they said there keeping an eye on him because he's dropped a percentile instead of maintaining it x

July 27th, 2013, 11:57 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's just odd. I would say they're putting way too much emphasis on the percentile of the chart instead of paying attention to his personal growth. Personally I think an almost 4 lb growth is pretty good. If you go by charts then Avery in consistently under the 5th percentile, but if you ignore the charts and just look at her personal growth she's doing really good and we're still EBF'ing. Just keep feeding on demand and after bottles if she still seems hungry. Curious to see what they say next time.
July 28th, 2013, 01:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Will let u know what they say next time kurly hes quite sick after feeds sometimes so I don't know if that's a factor they said he might have reflux will wait and see what they say at his next weigh in

July 28th, 2013, 08:05 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Ok, he's 3 months. I thought he was 2 months. So his percentile is below 10% consistently. You say he's sick after feeds - does he spit up a lot? Sometimes reflux or GERD can cause a baby to not gain or even be considered failure to thrive. Does he get a lot of hiccups? Does he seem in pain after feedings? I know it seems counterintuitive, but what about waking him to feed more in the middle of the night? Like every 2 or 3 hrs. You may have to do this until he gains more. I used to have to do that with my first because he had lost too much weight in the beginning. I also had a friend who would set her alarm so she could wake the baby to feed. Sometimes babies who aren't getting enough to eat are actually sleepier, so it's recommended to wake them to feed. It would only be temporary.

Babies with reflux tend to take in less at each feeding but eat more often. How many feedings a day does Joshua do?
July 28th, 2013, 09:04 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
My first son had issues with it. And it turned out to be reflux. So I would look into it. Especially with him throwing up a decent amount after feeds. Liam was 9lbs, 9oz at 2.5 months which was when he started his reflux meds. He was 14lbs at 4 months!! So those meds made a huge difference. Thankfully, our solution was pretty easy. I hope yours is too. Jo is gaining just fine, so her throwing up is "happy spitting"
July 28th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just for your reference, here is the growth chart for breastfed boys: http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data...4lw_100611.pdf

I don't have much to add, advice-wise, but I would try giving him an infant simethicone solution (Infacol, in the UK) and see if it helps him eat a little more (especially when he's refusing bottles). I also think it's good advice to try to feed him more often, especially waking him up at night to feed him. You could try following some of these tips, in case it is reflux: http://www.parents.com/baby/care/ame...s/baby-reflux/ I hope the situation starts to improve soon!!
July 28th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the advice I had to wake him up to feed the other night I fed him but he wouldn't take a bottle as well he feeds on demand so maybe about 6 times a day I'm not sure kurly my supply seems a bit better lately which is good think I will try feeding him more during the day and wake him up at night he doesn't spit up that much it's just after he's fed he's sick quite a lot sometimes x

July 28th, 2013, 03:14 PM
May 2013 Cohost
You said he's sick quite a lot after feeds - what does that mean? Spitting up?

I would try to have him do 7-8 feedings a day. Forget the bottle if he doesn't want it - just offer the breast.
July 28th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No he's sick and brings the milk back up again I had to wake him up tonight to feed him

July 28th, 2013, 09:09 PM
May 2013 Cohost
That's ok...keep doing this until his next weight check! Hopefully he will be back on track!
July 28th, 2013, 11:40 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does he throw up a lot of milk? Does he seem fussy afterwards or is he fine with it?

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 29th, 2013, 02:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
No he doesn't seem fussy it doesn't bother him it depends sometimes a wee bit sometimes a lot he seems less sick if I'm bfing him as opposed to a bottle x

July 29th, 2013, 06:56 AM
I guess some babies are just really big spitters! If I recall, Ashlee's baby Jo does that too. But with yours it's a problem, because of his weight. I hope you can find something that works for you! Does he take the bottle better if you put breastmilk in it?
ashj_1218 likes this.

July 29th, 2013, 10:59 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Isn't spitting up the same thing as bringing milk back up after feeds? Or am I missing something? You said Joshua doesn't spit up, but brings milk back up. To me that's the same thing?
July 29th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah kary it prob is spitting up I would take as just spitting not actually being sick but it could be cause I live in the uk and it just means diff here as opposed to on the us lol x
EverydayJoy likes this.

July 29th, 2013, 03:18 PM
I figured it was just a difference in terminology!

July 29th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sera has only gained 3 pounds since birth, I thought she would have gained more but I looked back at her brothers weights at this time and they were a pound off so i'm not too concerned. Also being that she's a girl she probably won't gain as fast as her brothers did.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search