Food & BFing

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2013, 04:45 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just curious, since Nichole mentioned her restricted diet for nursing, does anyone else have any diet restrictions b/c of nursing? I have been trying out garlic & onions on Kody for a few days and he doesn't seem to like them. He's definitely been fussier, but still sleeping ok at night. Sucks because I was really enjoying the stuff I could eat when I added those two things back in!

At this time I am avoiding:
Cabbage
Broccoli
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Asparagus
(all in the cruciferous veggie family)
Beans
Spicy foods
Garlic
Onions

I really miss all of the above! I didn't realize how much I like cabbage especially until I had to cut it out. I even have to watch what salad mix I buy so I don't get one with cabbage.
The other thing I miss is Mexican food. I ate that the other day as part of the trial and Kody doesn't seem to like it. Boooo!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 31st, 2013, 05:18 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Pffft! I didn't even cut out alcohol completely. lol I had cut out caffeine early on when Avery had started spitting up a lot all of a sudden, but once she was a little older I slowly added it back and I'm up to my regular 2 cups a day and diet coke and she does fine. I put garlic in EVERYTHING I cook. I couldn't even phathom cutting that out.
LolaBadola and jcperez like this.
July 31st, 2013, 06:44 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I have to limit dairy. She doesn't get belly upset because of it. But she will puke a blue streak if I eat more than a little each day. And given she pukes a lot already, I can't handle even more. She will literally discharge milk every 10 minutes if I eat too much dairy. But otherwise she is fine.
July 31st, 2013, 06:54 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had to give up peanut butter with DD1 and I thought I was going to die. I'm so glad that so far I haven't had to give up anything with Caroline.
MrsNHigh likes this.
July 31st, 2013, 07:00 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
I eat everything except tuna? Thats the only thing drs told me to avoid while breastfeeding. I started drinking a cup of coffee every morning too. Nothing seems to bother him...

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
July 31st, 2013, 07:17 PM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lucky ladies!
I'm scared to try to phase the offensive foods back in. With ds1, I gave up all of those things for a full year.

Nichole
July 31st, 2013, 07:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't limit anything I love cheese so couldn't cut that out and garlic, onions thankfully Joshua doesn't mind what I eat x

July 31st, 2013, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
I have to limit dairy. She doesn't get belly upset because of it. But she will puke a blue streak if I eat more than a little each day. And given she pukes a lot already, I can't handle even more. She will literally discharge milk every 10 minutes if I eat too much dairy. But otherwise she is fine.
Wow. Seeing as how she already pukes a lot, I can't imagine how MORE puking would be. Your daughter is like Old Faithful or something! Haha. How do you handle the middle of the night puking that you mentioned in the other post? Do you wake up to puke going everywhere or does she stir beforehand to give you a warning?

July 31st, 2013, 11:13 PM
Super Mommy
Honestly it seems that EVERY thing affects mothers' milk. If I try to eliminate everything I was told/heard to eliminate, then I would live on water and bread.

But I could for sure see a difference with my son when/if I eat dairy and nuts, so I've been avoiding those... And it's not easy.

Jcperez, why avoid tuna? I've been craving and eating it a lot lately
July 31st, 2013, 11:23 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Everything I've seen says to still limit tuna to 12 oz/week, but it's still ok to eat. I've craved it a lot lately too.
August 1st, 2013, 04:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't have to avoid anything, nothing seems to bother her. I don't eat a lot of strong tasting foods though - we don't eat a ton of onion or garlic, or broccoli (maybe once a week). I eat a yogurt every day, but I don't drink milk.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
August 1st, 2013, 05:36 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thankfully I havent had to make any diet changes. For a bit we thought he may be sensitive to dairy so for two weeks I had to try to cut it from my diet. Thank God that wasnt the problem bc I consume a lot of dairy! I just really really limit caffeine for production reasons. Im paranoid something will affect my supply.

August 1st, 2013, 05:40 AM
Veteran
I haven't been avoiding any food but he is really starting to throw up a lot... More every day. I am going to try and cut out all caffeine, alcohol and really limit my dairy intake. Hope this helps because the constant throwing up is awful!
August 1st, 2013, 07:19 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
Wow. Seeing as how she already pukes a lot, I can't imagine how MORE puking would be. Your daughter is like Old Faithful or something! Haha. How do you handle the middle of the night puking that you mentioned in the other post? Do you wake up to puke going everywhere or does she stir beforehand to give you a warning?
She seriously is like Old Faithful. It's really quite disgusting. I have to change my clothes at least three times a day (which is mighty challenging when I am still toting 15lbs of preggo weight and don't have a ton of options). And gosh, she gets changed about 10 times a day. I am sooooo sick of her 0-3 month clothes because I have seen them all a hundred times. We have spit cloths literally all over the house, but anything works in a pinch.

In the middle of the night I get about 5 seconds warning. She always "hitches" before she throws up (when laying down, not necessarily during the day) and I hear it even in a dead sleep. I usually just have time to sit up and put a towel under her (we keep a stack by the bed) and she throws up on that, I toss it aside after I clean her up by flashlight and change her clothes. Repeat usually twice overnight. But she just goes right back to sleep after she does it. So I can't complain too much, aside from the gross factor. I try desperately to not get puke on me at night. But sometimes I have to get up and change too. It's usually not forceful though, so the walls are spared (we have had a couple projectile episodes, but she generally runs more like a faucet).
August 1st, 2013, 10:34 AM
Wow that sounds pretty annoying! I would be pretty frustrated if Kody did that all day (and night too). I hope for your sake it's something that subsides pretty soon!
Maybe you've already thought of this, but when you mentioned the dairy making her puke more, what about cutting it out altogether and see if it reduces or eliminates the puking? That's your call, whether you think that might help, but that was the thought I had.

August 1st, 2013, 11:56 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I was dairy-free for about 4 weeks and the level of her spit-up was basically the same a if I ate a small bit of dairy (we are talking just what comes in random foods, not even a yogurt or Mac-n-cheese). So I just added it back because I was frustrated with it. The doc was willing to prescribe acid reflux meds to see if I helps at all. But she said they probably wouldn't, so I decided against it. Frankly, it's just nasty, but doesn't seem to affect her mood or weight (she is completely average and gains averagely). The doc also said it tends to really wane off when baby sits alone, as that is when the flap is likely to close in the correct position. So we are prolly about halfway there (6ish months). I have my days where I get irritated with it (given I smell like puke all the time), but mostly I can cope. It's really the only part that makes her challenging, so I can deal. Plus, she does get good use out of all her clothes
August 1st, 2013, 01:32 PM
Well, that sounds reasonable. So, maybe another 3 months and you're home free huh? Hopefully!

August 1st, 2013, 02:08 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBunnyMama View Post
Honestly it seems that EVERY thing affects mothers' milk. If I try to eliminate everything I was told/heard to eliminate, then I would live on water and bread.

But I could for sure see a difference with my son when/if I eat dairy and nuts, so I've been avoiding those... And it's not easy.

Jcperez, why avoid tuna? I've been craving and eating it a lot lately
The drs told me to avoid it. They said I can eat anything as long as it doesn't affect the baby but to stay away from tuna. They said because of the mercury and the link to autism. Im sure every dr. has a different take on it but that's what mine said. That's all he needed to say and Im not eating it...although I am craving it in the worst way! Im sure your fine, just limit it to maybe once a week. I just cant bring myself to do it now.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
August 1st, 2013, 02:17 PM
That's too bad about the tuna. I can't stand tuna, lol. Even the smell of it is yucky to me. But then I don't really like any fish. I have some strange tastebuds!

August 1st, 2013, 07:53 PM
Super Mommy
Bummer. I'll try to stop eating tuna then... Although I did ear it like cazy when I had my dd.. I went back to school, was living alone on campus and had no time at all to cook.

Having kids is just annoying! Ughhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
That's too bad about the tuna. I can't stand tuna, lol. Even the smell of it is yucky to me. But then I don't really like any fish. I have some strange tastebuds!
Joy, for me, I like fish and tuna after adding the right amount of lemon juice haha but I hate, hate, hate the smell.. When I cook fish or salmon, omg, it smells so nasty that I just want to set the apt on fire
EverydayJoy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search