Migraines

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218
  • 2 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2013, 08:32 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yuck, been dealing with these a LOT lately. Like almost every day. For me my migraines don't really hurt as much as I would expect from what I hear from other people. The way my mom described them was, "imagine taking an ice pick, putting it through your skull from the back of your head out through your eyeball, and then just twisting it a little." OUCH. Yeah mine don't hurt as bad as that, just a really persistent, annoying, ache. But according to my doc they don't have to be super painful to be a migraine. I get the one-sided face pain, where my ear, eye, jaw, and shoulder hurt on the one side. And all that jazz. Anyway I was reading up on them and guess what, lack of sleep can trigger them! Hah! I guess when you don't get enough deep/REM sleep, the neurotransmitter levels in your brain end up low and you get headaches. Just what is someone supposed to do about making that better when you have a kid that wakes up every two hours all night long?
Oh well, at least Advil makes them go away. I'm so glad I can take it!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 4th, 2013, 09:26 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I get sleep-deprivation headaches too. They are sneaky buggers. Hope they let up soon...or Kody does
EverydayJoy likes this.
August 4th, 2013, 09:33 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My good friend suffers from constant migraines so I know how much it can affect your life. Glad Advil helps! I hope they go away soon!

August 5th, 2013, 05:02 AM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Advil does nothing for my migraines. I've been getting them more frequently as well but luckily it's still only one every 3 or so weeks. I get the kind of migraines that your mother describes. They are not fun, especially when you have a baby to take care of and nurse every few hours.
August 5th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Ugh I'm sorry to hear you're going through that. It's gotta be awful.

August 6th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Sapphera's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's the one thing I miss about pregnancy.. I got very few migraines during it... now that it's over, I'm back to migraine city. Luckily, Aleve will kill it off if I take some RIGHT when it's starting (I'm never without it).. but nothing else will touch it other than Tylenol 1.
WTTC #2
August 10th, 2013, 06:32 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Joy, that's when you start dosing your kid with Benadryl to make them sleepy! Haha. Just kidding! (For the record, I've never done this and wouldn't! My son has never taken Benadryl although we do have it on hand in case of an allergic reaction. It says some kids can actually get hyper if they take it, so I am afraid to use it since he is hyper all the time already!)

Sorry about your migraines, that sounds awful.
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.
August 10th, 2013, 06:48 PM
LOL Kary! The headaches have subsided for now, which is great. I have totally given Ethan Benadryl before, and I'm not sorry! He is so stubborn about sleep sometimes so at times I've gotten desperate. I only use it when I'm really at my wit's end. I wouldn't use it on Kody though. He's way too little.
rheaimedved likes this.

August 10th, 2013, 09:33 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I've had thoughts of doing it, too...we had a really rough spell when Lexi was first born. It was BAD. He was super sick, double ear infection, and behaviorally out of control. I kept saying to the on call doctor that he needed a sedative. She informed me they don't do that for little kids. She must have thought I was nuts. Lol.
August 10th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Poor you, and your poor son. I remember you saying he had a double ear infection the same night you went into labor. What awful timing. LOL about the sedative. I don't know why they don't make those for little kids, if adults need them, surely little kids need them more, lol.
On a side note, sometimes we use "Calms for Kids" for Ethan when he's having trouble sleeping. It's not magic, and it doesn't always help him fall asleep, but I think it does help calm him down. Anyway...FWIW!

August 10th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Joy you poor thing! Baby that won't sleep, husband away all the time, MIGRAINES. Geez You're a trooper, that's all I can say! Glad to hear they aren't too bad and that you can control them. I hardly get any kind of headache, but my mom gets debilitating migraines occasionally and it just seems awful.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search