Eczema?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 2 Post By misty3281
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By kary4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2013, 03:49 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey ladies, do you mind being my eyes here and giving me your opinion of this rashy stuff on Kody's thighs?

In this shot, you can see his skin has dry patches:

In this one, you can see just faintly the redness of it:

It doesn't want to do anything with just putting coconut oil on it. I'm thinking of trying A&D. I just wasn't sure if this was a passing thing or whether I should worry that it's hurting or itching him. It just looks like dry, patchy areas that are slightly red, but not raised. Baby skin is hard to figure out sometimes! It's not where his diaper would touch his legs. It's on his thighs on both sides, more on side than the other, and some also on the underside of his thighs, but not anywhere else on his body.

Actually, I remembered I have a tea tree oil healing cream, I think I'll try that!
Skimboardin Mama likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 9th, 2013, 04:32 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Avery had that, and her pedi said it looked like eczema. You can use Eucerin lotion, Aquaphor, or Cetaphil lotion to help heal it faster. I used Eucerin lotion all over her body and topped her arms and legs with Vaseline on top of the lotion every night until it cleared up. Now I use just the Eucerin nightly to keep it at bay and it seems to work. I also cut back on her baths from every day to every other day. The big thing is getting the skin rehydrated. It never seemed to bother Avery. I would say if Kody isn't being extra fussy or acting uncomfortable then it's probably not bothering him. Hope it clears up soon!!
EverydayJoy and jcperez like this.
August 9th, 2013, 05:34 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Lexi just got diagnosed with eczema. Her patches looks a little more inflamed, though. She has them on her wrists, elbows, and is beginning to get them on her knees. It looks god awful. Ditto what misty said...I'm using a combo of Aveeno fragrance free lotion, Aquaphor, and calendula cream. That stuff is magic!
August 9th, 2013, 05:35 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
remy has the same. dr, says eczema too. the creams misty stated helps a lot!

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
August 9th, 2013, 05:44 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
What I want to know is what is a good detergent to use for the sensitive skin? Burt's Bee's? Im using Johnson and Johnson but I don't think its sensitive enough for him.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
August 9th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I sure hope this doesn't mean he's developing a reaction to dairy. I just LOVE dairy and I eat it every day! Come to think of it, I did give him a little bit of formula the other day...I wonder if that has something to do with it. Hmm...

Good to know about the lotions that are recommended. The healing cream I have has tea tree oil, jojoba oil, arnica, goldenseal, calendula, and comfrey in it. So hopefully it will be good for this. I think I will cover over that with the A&D ointment (as a barrier). We'll see how it goes!

Jessica, I would recommend Kiss My Face soap for baby's skin, if you're looking for something really gentle. They do make a kid's bubble wash, or you could just use their plain Olive Oil soap. It's very gentle and only has 3 ingredients.
rheaimedved likes this.

August 9th, 2013, 07:17 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I'm going to try Cetaphil - it's a fragrance free, non soap cleanser. I have a bottle of it which I bought when she was a newborn (pedi recommended) to cleanse her diaper area when she had a bad rash. After that runs out, I have California Baby fragrance free shampoo/body wash.

Misty - is Eucerin lotion clear like Aquaphor? Or is it white? Thanks.
EverydayJoy likes this.
August 9th, 2013, 08:00 PM
It's white but rubs in easy. I put it generously on her and never have a bunch of white streaks everywhere.
August 9th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Joy I don't think the dairy or formula had anything to do with it. Just coincidence. I sent the picture to the pedi asking about it on July 9th so at the time Avery was about the same age as Kody is now. Maybe that's just when babies are likely to start showing signs of it.
August 9th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Misty, hopefully that's all it is! I think I'll just wait and see if it clears on its own. I just hate to go to the doctor's office and have her just tell me to put lotion on it, lol. Hence asking you ladies instead of the doctor.

August 9th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcperez View Post
What I want to know is what is a good detergent to use for the sensitive skin? Burt's Bee's? Im using Johnson and Johnson but I don't think its sensitive enough for him.
for laundry detergent I suggest free and clear ones + free and clear fabric softener. helped our first with the baby acne and she had it bad. We havent had any rashes other than heat rash with Koa

August 9th, 2013, 10:14 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I use Tide Free and Clear laundry detergent or All Free and Clear. I also use fragrance free dryer sheets.
EverydayJoy likes this.
August 9th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
I'm actually allergic to most laundry detergents and have had to use baby detergents most of my life because of my sensitive skin lol. I used Ivory Snow for years and then started using the fragrance-free Arm and Hammer kind. Both gave me no problems.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search