Breast clog

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 2 Post By kary4
  • 3 Post By Memi
  • 2 Post By rheaimedved
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2013, 11:14 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I'm so annoyed. I got my first clog tonight. I've been working for the past 45 minutes to clear it, with no success. Now it's after 2 am and I'll be exhausted tomorrow - again. Ugh. There is only one tiny stream of milk coming out of my left breast, but the right has like 5 or 6 streams. I feel a hard area too. This freaking sucks.
August 11th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
That sucks. Sorry.

August 11th, 2013, 02:42 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh no . I hope you can get it handled. Sounds painful and annoying!

August 11th, 2013, 03:00 AM
May 2013 Cohost
It's now almost 6 am. Lexi was stirring at 5 am, so I decided to do moist heat for 15 min then feed her...no luck clearing the clog. Poor thing was confused about why no milk was flowing from the left. When hubby wakes up, I will have him make me a hot water bottle to put on the area for an hour or so before the next feeding. Then I'll try a hot shower.

Kim, how long before you got your clog cleared? Any other tips? I'm trying not to panic!
August 11th, 2013, 04:39 AM
When I get a clog, I spend half an hour to an hour massaging in the tub. If it's not cleared by then, I do it again the next day. I also massage while I'm feeding her and use a hot, moist towel before I feed her. I've had clogs last for 2-3 days before (longer when I had mastitis). I started taking Lecithin supplements when someone here suggested it and I've only had one clog since I started taking them!

August 11th, 2013, 05:09 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Hubby is making me a hot water bottle as we speak and I'm going to do moist heat while feeding. It's rock hard and painful. This sucks. I'm spending the day in bed with Lexi in her bassinet except for my eyebrow wax appointment this afternoon.

Last edited by kary4; August 11th, 2013 at 05:12 AM.
August 11th, 2013, 07:54 AM
May 2013 Cohost
For those of you interested, hehe, here's an update. I did moist heat prior to feeding Lexi for about 15 min using the hot water bottle and a wet washcloth but nothing was happening. Lexi could not release any milk on that side so I had to switch her to the other breast. As soon as let down happened, I pulled her off and put her back on the clogged side. But still nothing was clearing. So I let her finish on the other side. After the feeding, I jumped in the shower...made it really hot and massaged the crap out of it while water was streaming onto it. Nothing was working. I was panicking. Then I noticed a white blister forming on the nipple blocking where the milk should be coming out. God they're so painful! I read you can take a sterile needle to puncture the blister so milk can flow. Well since I was in the shower I dug a little with my fingernail - still nothing. Then I got desperate. I called hubby in and asked him to suck on it to help release milk! He actually agreed. He said this was the closest he's come to getting any action in months so he happily obliged haha! But it didn't work! Then I tried the needle technique, but it was painful. I was still only able to get drops out as opposed to a full stream, which meant the hard knot on my breast was still there. Defeated, I went back to bed with my hot water bottle and wet washcloth. I kept massaging, trying to squeeze anything out, and then it was time to feed Lexi again. Well this time something happened! It started clearing out! Although the milk stream is sideways (the blistter is still there partially blocking the flow), the hard knot on my breast has deflated and milk was able to be released. Thank God!!
rheaimedved likes this.

Last edited by kary4; August 11th, 2013 at 07:57 AM.
August 11th, 2013, 08:24 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow I'm so glad you got it cleared! That sounds like a nightmare! You must be exhausted.
Kinda funny about your hubby, haha! I know for a fact mine would not do that for all the tea in China, lol. He hates regular cow's milk anyway, and human milk to him is even more disgusting. I'm glad your hubbs didn't mind though. Maybe it helped a little.
I was curious once though, and tried it---it's actually pretty ok.
rheaimedved likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 11th, 2013, 08:29 AM
May 2013 Cohost
My hubby is weird about that too. With my son, when I asked him to do it, he was grossed out and refused. (I had like 5 clogs in 5 months - about one a month). But bc he is so desperate for action this time around, he agreed. Nevermind that this was not remotely sexual at all for me. I was wincing in pain the entire time! Oh, and he wasn't able to extract any milk anyway bc it was still very clogged at that point. Only my Lexi could release it! Lol. His technique sucked, too. He didn't have the proper latch. Lol
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.
August 11th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
His technique sucked, too. He didn't have the proper latch. Lol
That's too funny!!!

August 11th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so glad you got it cleared, Kary! Sounds awful If if happens again, I've heard that dangle feeding can help with clogs.

Joy, I'm impressed! As much as I LOVE dairy, I'm still a little weirded out! I might have posted this already, but my dad admitted that he would totally use breast milk if there was no cow's milk left for his morning cereal. I'm pretty careful to keep cow's milk in the house now!
August 11th, 2013, 12:43 PM
LOL Kary! His technique sucked, or it didn't suck? Haha.
rheaimedved likes this.

August 11th, 2013, 01:33 PM
May 2013 Cohost
So now I have a white blister on my nipple that is in danger of closing and preventing milk flow. I'm being super vigilant with nursing and checking to make sure it stays open. I've had to pick it open to start milk flow a couple of times, but that hurts! According to kellymom.com, a saline soak prior to applying moist heat, and prior to nursing can help heal the blister. Then applying a little antibiotic ointment after nursing can help. I think I am going to try this.
August 11th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Ouchie you poor thing! You can't win for losing!

August 12th, 2013, 12:20 PM
May 2013 Cohost
So now my supply sucks in my left breast, and it's still tender and painful. But thank goodness it isn't clogged anymore - that he got to be one of the most painful things ever.

Kim, did you notice a decrease in supply after having a clog? If so, how long before it comes back up?
August 12th, 2013, 03:09 PM
I haven't noticed a decrease in supply after clogs, so I can't help much there. Do you have one side you usually nurse from first or do you switch? If you don't already, maybe try to nurse from your left side first every time and see if that helps your supply.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search