Sudden screaming fit?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By misty3281
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 2 Post By ashj_1218

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2013, 08:34 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Anyone's baby done this?

Jo is an easy baby, she rarely ever cries (mostly only if she is done in the carseat). Tonight she had a 45-minute screaming fit. It was awful! She would calm down for 20 seconds, then scream again. Nothing from nursing to wearing to rocking to changing was helping at all. She just cried and cried.

She has never done anything like that before. I called her after-hours doc line and they said to take her to the ER if it extended past an hour. It didn't, she fell asleep and woke up totally fine 20-minutes later. She ate and chatted with us like nothing happened.

But, wow...it freaked me out! So random. And I have no idea what caused it. Has anyone else experienced that before?
August 11th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Misha does that occasionally. I think it's just a thing infants do. You're lucky you made it this long without it We've had maybe 5 fits like that. It's pretty awful. Misha is a pretty chill baby for the most part, too. Gets fussy, but is almost always consolable and doesn't straight up cry all that much.
August 11th, 2013, 09:47 PM
May 2013 Cohost
We've had a couple of fits like that, too, but not for 45 minutes. Usually 15 minutes or less. Usually it happens and she has some kind of bubble/burp at the end. I find walking with her over my shoulder, gently bouncing, and rubbing her back helps. But yeah, nursing never works to calm her down. It makes it worse!
August 11th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Veteran
Had the exact same thing last night. Brian is an easy baby who doesn't cry much but last night after we bathed him he just screamed and screamed and screamed. He was due to eat but refused and just got even angrier when I tried to feed him. Eventually I took him to dark room and swaddled him and gave him his pacifier and he eventually calmed down. Have family staying at the moment so I think I was just totally over stimulated and could not shut down properly.
August 11th, 2013, 11:12 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep Kody has been doing this for the last 2 days. It feels like it's been an eternity. Every time he is tired, he refuses to be consoled and basically screams himself to sleep. He cries harder if I try to nurse him.
Tonight I took Ethan to see the monster truck show at the fair, and I just about lost my mind on the way home, because Kody was tired, hadn't eaten in 4 hours but refused to nurse (I'd tried him at 3 hours and he refused then too), and screamed himself hoarse on the way home. It was ridiculous. I think I'm going to call his doctor tomorrow. Although they won't find anything wrong with him, I'm sure. Since he's peeing and pooping ok, no fever, and all that, they'll just tell me babies cry and send me home, I'm sure of it.
rheaimedved likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 12th, 2013, 12:01 AM
I posted about this on another forum, and a friend there told me that it's normal for babies to be super-fussy around 3 months, 6 months, and 8-9 months. Something about their brains making "leaps" in development that makes them clingy, fussy, and cranky. I was just reading about this the other day on the Wonder Weeks website.
What are mental leaps? - The Wonder WeeksThe Wonder Weeks

Since all our babies are getting to the 3 month stage, that makes sense that it's happening to more than one of them.

August 12th, 2013, 02:44 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
I posted about this on another forum, and a friend there told me that it's normal for babies to be super-fussy around 3 months, 6 months, and 8-9 months. Something about their brains making "leaps" in development that makes them clingy, fussy, and cranky. I was just reading about this the other day on the Wonder Weeks website.
What are mental leaps? - The Wonder WeeksThe Wonder Weeks

Since all our babies are getting to the 3 month stage, that makes sense that it's happening to more than one of them.
Just wait. Did you know it's quite common to have a 4 month sleep regression? I couldn't figure out why Avery suddenly went from sleeping 5-6 hours to up every 2 around the clock until I started looking around. Apparently at 4 months they can revert back to frequent wakings and it can last for months! I'm pretty devastated by this. I thought we were in the clear. Boy was I wrong.
rheaimedved likes this.
August 12th, 2013, 06:07 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Hate when they cry and you cant help them. So far he hasn't done that yet. I have always been able to calm him down pretty quickly...thank goodness. He has been startling a lot lately. If my husband raises his voice or he hears a loud sound, he will make a heart wrenching scream..poor baby.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
August 12th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty3281 View Post
Just wait. Did you know it's quite common to have a 4 month sleep regression? I couldn't figure out why Avery suddenly went from sleeping 5-6 hours to up every 2 around the clock until I started looking around. Apparently at 4 months they can revert back to frequent wakings and it can last for months! I'm pretty devastated by this. I thought we were in the clear. Boy was I wrong.
Wow that's good to know, Misty. Although, Kody already wakes up every 2 or 3 hours, so I don't know if we'll see much difference there. I'm sorry you are getting less sleep though, what a disappointment.
rheaimedved likes this.

August 12th, 2013, 01:50 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes this has happened to us a few times before, usually lasting about 15 minutes. I can always tell it is something with his stomach by the way he pulls his legs up. Poor baby. Breaks my heart. Luckily it hasn't happened in awhile.

August 12th, 2013, 07:41 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Thankfully looking like a one-time deal. She was her normal self today and didn't cry at all. She actually gave me her first giggles and also got a toy into her hand and then into her mouth for the first time (she usually loses it in translation). So it was a big day for her! But no belly pain (she did poo a lot more than normal this morning). It's amazing because Liam and Kieran were both screamers and it wouldn't have fazed me if they did it at any given time (they often did!). But it was so out of the norm for Jo that it flipped me out. Don't worry, I know to be grateful that she doesn't do it more often! Lol. Thanks ladies
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.
August 12th, 2013, 09:30 PM
I'm glad she's feeling her old self again! It's always so heartbreaking when they cry like that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search