Frustrated...

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By NewlyMrs
  • 1 Post By kurly
  • 1 Post By rheaimedved
  • 3 Post By NewlyMrs

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2013, 02:55 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Grady is just an okay napper so he always wants to go to bed around 6:30. The problem is then he's up for the day at 5am. Not cool with me. Last night I tried everything in my power to keep him up until 7pm....no go. So tonight I'm thinking if he goes down that early again I'll treat it like a nap and wake him up at like 7:15. What do you think? Playing with fire?

August 13th, 2013, 03:01 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I would not wake him at 7:15 pm bc it would mess with his natural rhythm. You might end up with a fussy baby who won't go back down! I'm wondering if you can work with him more at the 5 am time to get him back down and teach him it's still night time. Definitely feed him, but then put him right back down. Lexi feeds around 4:30 or 5 am, and after that feeding is wired. She coos and smiles and wants to play. You would think she is up for the day. But I basically ignore her. She stays in her bassinet, swaddled, with no interaction from me. I do not turn on any lights. She usually goes back to sleep on her own by 6:30 am. The next time she wakes, I turn on lights.

If you try that, and still have issues, then I might try a dream feed. Wake Grady up at 11 or midnite and feed him. Then he may sleep until 7 am. I did that with my son, who also was asleep by 6:30 pm every night.

Last edited by kary4; August 13th, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
August 13th, 2013, 03:11 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No advice here...just wanted to say sorry for your frustration. Sleep stuff is hard.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 13th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Thanks joy . Good idea kary. I'll try your advice. This morning I tried ignoring him and letting him stay in his bed but I think I gave up too early. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow morning!
rheaimedved likes this.

August 13th, 2013, 03:21 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Yeah, don't be afraid to leave him longer especially if he's happy and not even crying. I do that a lot in the mornings - I am so not a morning person! hehe
August 13th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Super Mommy
I feel the same way about "playing with fire". Wyatt won't really nap, and my husband wants me to work on that and try to force naps on him, but I'm worried it will mess with his sleeping from 8:30-6:00 with no wake-ups or feedings. Because I would MUCH rather him sleep through he night, then take a nap during the day...

Could you try to have him nap from 5:30 to 6:30, then keep him up till 8 and put him down then?

We take Wyatt out for walks- facing out so he can see everything- to keep him up till 8 when we start his routine.
rheaimedved likes this.
August 13th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like you need to start going to sleep around 7 pm......
EverydayJoy likes this.
August 13th, 2013, 08:06 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Truthfully, some babies are just wired for certain schedules. You can try everything to push it...but some just are steady in their rhythms.

My first faithfully went to bed at 6:30 and woke at 5am from months 4-24!! He has changed it now, but as a baby, nothing we did worked to change his schedule (unless we wanted a hateful screaming child all night long). I just had to start going to bed at 8:30 (he still woke at night).

I absolutely think you should try to push his bedtime and see how it goes. But I didn't want you to feel like you were doing something wrong if he just didn't bite. My doc said that just like people are night owls or early birds, babies are too.
August 14th, 2013, 02:10 AM
Veteran
My LO also goes to bed at 6 30 have tried everything to get him to stay awake a bit longer but he won't. He has also started waking for his second night feed at 5 in the morning. I just treat it as a night feed. I avoid changing nappies, avoid eye contact and keep the room dark. There are some days when this doesn't fool him but most days he goes back to sleep for an hour or two. Can't wait until he starts waking at 6 instead so I can just start the day then.... Can bring myself to start the day at 5!
August 14th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Lilah starts moving around and waking up at 5am every single day. If we make it to 6am before we have to get up, it's amazing. Usually we are up at 5:30am. DH is pretty good at getting her to go back to sleep by constantly popping the soother back in her mouth, but I don't have patience for that, I just end up getting up with her. We've moved her bedtime from 9pm to 7:30-ish because she has stopped napping well in the day and she just can't stay up past 7:30 anymore. Even when she was in bed at 9, she was still up at 5. It just sucks! My oldest daughter was an early riser too.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
August 14th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Thanks ladies!! Well last night he took a nap at 5 and was up at 6 pm-totally grumpy. He stayed up until 7:30 and then got up at 2am and 5am for a feeding. I left him in his crib after the 5am and he fell back asleep within 10 minutes until 6:45. I'll call that a victory. We will see how he does when he's back to his 6:30 bedtime. I think he's just going to be an early to bed early to rise kind of guy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search