Supplementing formula

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By misty3281
  • 2 Post By rheaimedved
  • 3 Post By kurly
  • 1 Post By rheaimedved
  • 5 Post By kurly
  • 1 Post By MichelleLynn

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2013, 06:25 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As much as I don't want to, I see no option but to start supplementing Avery with bottles of formula so she will eat when I'm not around. I make enough milk for her, but just can't seem to pump enough anymore to make even 1 bottle a day. The most I can get is 2 oz and that's both sides combined. I bought some fenugreek and am giving it until Avery's next appt the end of the month. If I'm not making enough to pump at least 1 bottle a day I'm going to have to start supplementing. My problem is I don't make enough to give her a bottle every day so when she does have to have a bottle while I'm working she just cries and cries until I get back and let her nurse. It's not fair to her or my mom having to listen to her cry knowing she's hungry. It breaks my heart to do it but I really think at this point it's in her best interest. If I could be a SAHM it wouldn't be an issue. Maybe one day somebody will just give me $5 million so I can stay home.
jcperez likes this.
August 13th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If you're open to it, you could look up the Human Milk for Human Babies page nearest you and see if you could get some donor milk. I've donated about 800 oz so far through it. Human Milk 4 Human Babies » Community Pages
kurly and Mrsbowbin like this.
August 13th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to add, I think some people are hesitant to ask for donor milk if there isn't a medical need for it, and that is absolutely not how this network operates. Younger babies seem to take some precedence (so it may be easier for you to find milk for your 4 month old than someone with a 20 month old) but pretty much everyone there is participating because they believe breast milk is the best option and donors often just want to see their milk go to a (human) baby. I've given milk to a variety of people, all of whom just aren't making enough-- one was a woman with 5.5 month old twins who have a cow milk protein allergy (from my 6 week dairy-free experiment), another was a woman with a one week old baby, and another with a 7 week old. So, there's that.
August 13th, 2013, 07:06 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Misty, are you pumping after every feeding and after her nighttime feeding? Just wondering.
August 13th, 2013, 07:18 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would say, go for it with the formula. It will give you peace of mind to know it's available if you need it, and for the feeds that she's taking formula for, you should be able to pump instead and then build up your stash that way. Then at some point you should be ahead enough, if you keep pumping whenever she gets formula, that you'll be able to just give her breastmilk. Go for it! Maybe buy a small cannister so you can see how it goes.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 13th, 2013, 07:27 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
I don't think I could ever give my baby another mother's milk. If it was medically necessary that's one thing but for me, I just couldn't do it. I would probably donate my milk if I had enough of it to donate though.
Misty, i think supplementing with formula should be fine. You have to do what you have to do. I on occasion supplement with formula. Have you tried pumping in the morning or at night when baby goes down for the night? Those times I find I have the most supply. Its tough...at least baby had a few months of your milk and you can still nurse when you are home with her at nighttime

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
August 13th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Super Mommy
I agree- I know it's hard because you wanted to do breast milk, but if it will no longer work for your situation- there is no shame in formula.

I am playing Powerball and Mega Millions. If I ever win an insanely large amount- I will allow you to stay home with your baby. Or I will buy you a wet nurse. Whichever you choose.
August 13th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I also wanted to add that I totally agree there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving your baby formula. It isn't rat poison. I just wanted to share that there is an option to supplement with breast milk if you aren't feeling great about formula.
LabLover13 likes this.
August 13th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Super Mommy
It was great information Rhea! It's imperative that we all have different opinions and ideas. It's what helps us all figure out what's best for our own situations.

The rainbow would be pretty boring if it was all blue.
August 13th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Veteran
I habe supplemented formula since the beginning because Tiago was jaundice so the doctor's wanted us to "push" it out of his system. I never gave him much but now I am noticing he is beginning to push away the breast when he is still hungry for formula. The dr wants me to nurse as much as I can until he is 6 months, but I do not believe he will make it. So, until he turns the breast away completely, I nurse him then give him 2oz..or more if he needs it. Unfortunatly, my milk os jindering because I never pumped when I gave formula, but I have to go back to work soon too so formula may end uobeng easier for the most part anyways... When I had ti supplement in the hospital, I was devistated because I thought I would not be able to breastfeed for too long...it has been almost 3 months so...better than I anticipated..
jcperez likes this.
August 14th, 2013, 12:32 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I tried to supplement Lexi with formula tonight bc my supply was so low, I was tired, and my lips were hurting (see my allergic reaction post). She didn't even know how to take a bottle. I thought she would just take right to it, but nope! Guess I missed the bottle window. Grr....
August 14th, 2013, 03:02 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think I could give her someone else's milk. DH is a pretty significant germophobe too so I doubt he'd go for it. I did look at the website though and the closest one I saw was about an hour and a half away.

I usually only try to pump in the morning and early afternoon, but even that isn't every day when DH is working and she is pitching a fit about being put down. I do need to try to pump more. I tried the other day after a feeding and got a whole 10 ml's. So frustrating. Up until a couple of weeks ago she was sleeping 5-6 hours the first stretch so when she would wake I'd feed her one side, pump a full bottle from the other side and just pump again after her morning feed and it was enough to give her a bottle a day to keep her used to it and still have some on backup if I was called in. Since she went back to waking every 2 hours though I haven't been able to do that. She eats everything I have. I'm going to talk to her pediatrician about it at her appt. Even if it's just 1 formula bottle a day to keep her used to the bottle I think it would help.

And Kurly I would so be your brand new BFF. lol
August 14th, 2013, 09:32 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have nothing to add other than I'm in the exact same situation and feel your pain! We are leaving him with my mom sunday for a couple hours to go to a wedding and my freezer supply is gone. Last night I tried giving him formula and he rejected it. This should be interesting...

August 14th, 2013, 09:34 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Melissa, did you try mixing formula with breast milk? That is, if you have any you can mix it with! Sometimes that helps with the transition. Breast milk I believe is sweeter than formula (formula smells awful, IMO!), so it might be a bit of a taste shock to baby Grady.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 14th, 2013, 10:44 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Joy! Yea I totally would but I didn't have any to pump. Next time I'm going to make sure it's a 50/50 mix.

August 14th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd go ahead with the formula too, or at least just have it on hand. Definite peace of mind for you!

I had to supplement Lilah in the very beginning when I went from nursing to EP'ing. My breasts were only making enough for her as a snacker - she's snack constantly, so the most I could ever pump in the beginning as 2oz. I had to supplement 1oz formula to 2oz breast milk. I think I only had to do that for a week before my supply went up enough that she could have just breast milk. She hasn't had formula since, I have a serious oversupply going on right now, but I wouldn't hesitate to supplement again in the future, which I will have to do because there is just no way I'm pumping to a year.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
August 14th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Supplementing with some formula won't hurt him, and I'd guess you'll see a bit of a supply increase if you start pumping more.
August 14th, 2013, 03:53 PM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
We supplemented from the beginning, because I wasn't pumping enough in the early days. Even when I was producing enough, we still gave her a formula bottle every day just so she would be used to it and wouldn't reject it if we had to stop feeding BM.

She's now fully on formula (with one BM bottle a day from my stash) and is thriving.

Do what works best for you and your sweet girl and try not to feel guilty about it. Easier said than done, I know!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search