Allergic reaction

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By rheaimedved
  • 4 Post By kary4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2013, 06:21 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Today was horrible. I haven't shared with you guys, but for the past week something has not been right with my lips - they have been super chapped and dry and irritated, even though I've been applying lip balm like crazy. Twice in the past few weeks, my lips have felt abnormally painful when salt from food directly hit them, but it always seemed to subside using my lip balm. Well this week I noticed what I thought was the beginning of a cold sore on my lip, which freaked me out because I have never had one. So I bought Blistex medicated lip balm and applied it to the small area. It tingled, but then felt better. The directions said it also helped relieve dry, chapped lips, and that makeup professionals use it underneath lipstick. So I slathered it on my entire lips. This morning I awoke to the most painful lips ever. They are burning and tingling 24/7, and a disgusting rash is now around the edge of my upper and lower lips. I look awful - like a freaking clown. I could barely move my lips they were so painful. I've been icing them and applying Vaseline. So I head to my family doctor this afternoon and he thinks it's definitely some sort of allergic reaction - all he can offer me is Benadryl (which would dry up my milk supply) and a prescription for a steroid (Medrol) to help. Well I called my OB and Medrol would be excreted in my milk so I'm not doing it. It's too risky. And Benadryl will dry my supply up bc it's an antihistamine. One idea is to put Lexi on formula temporarily and pump to maintain my supply, but that's so much work. Plus we're leaving for a vacation this Saturday so it's just not feasible right now.

So now I just have to suffer and ride it out with ice and Vaseline and go on this vacation. We are leaving this Saturday and I had booked a professional photographer for next Monday to take Lexi's 3 month/family pics. I cannot take photos looking like this. And the reason I don't want to put Lexi on formula temporarily is bc I would have to drag all the bottles, pumps, drying rack, etc. to the vacation. We're driving. I have not opened my pump, tried a bottle with Lexi, or even washed the new nipples. I'm just so stressed out. What would you do?
August 13th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Super Mommy
Benadryl comes in a cream form- could that work?

Sorry
August 13th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh my god I am SO sorry to hear this. That sounds awful I also wonder if the Benadryl cream could work, or maybe your doctor could give you a steroid cream? Also, maybe see a dermatologist? Calamine lotion? An oatmeal bath for your lips? Those are the first things I would try. Witch hazel can help reduce redness and is pretty mild on skin, so I, personally, would try applying that once or twice a day. I hope you find something that helps!!!

And definitely reschedule with the photographer!
August 13th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Brock's minion
I have no helpful suggestions just hoping you feel better tomorrow.

Michelle
August 13th, 2013, 08:11 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Oh my I wish I had a clue what to suggest. But I just don't have any ideas. That sounds very painful and uncomfortable.

I am so sorry
August 13th, 2013, 09:12 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was going to suggest the benadryl cream but you ladies beat me to it. How awful for you, Kary! I'm so sorry. You must feel so terrible, plus having to go on that vacation too. Ugh!
As for any pain your lips are in, what about Oragel? To numb it? At least until it dies down a bit, anyway.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 13th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
Oddly, something very similar happened to me a couple of months ago, soon after I had the baby. It wasn't so painful that I could barely move my lips, but it was extremely uncomfortable and looked horrible. I actually came across some stuff online that said it could be related to breastfeeding, since it's easy to get dehydrated, but I thought I was drinking plenty of water, so I wasn't sure if that was it or not. Then I thought it could be because my Burt's Bees chapstick had run out and I was using Blistex brand instead. I used to just be able to use the cheap Lipsmackers brand and that was fine, but it seems that my lips have become more sensitive. Anyway, my lips were super chapped and dry like that for weeks, but I ended up getting my hands on some more Burt's Bees and they did eventually go back to mostly normal. There's still a patch of skin right under my mouth that gets pretty dry sometimes, though. It's strange...this didn't happen to me before I had the baby. I do have sensitive skin, though. Maybe the Blistex made it worse for both of us?

August 13th, 2013, 11:28 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Yeah, I don't know what is up with Blistex. Apparently from what I've been researching, it contains menthol which can be an irritant. I initially tried to get in to see my dermatologist, but they don't do emergency appointments - first available wasn't until September. As far as a steroid cream, there are none that are for the lips according to the doctor. If you read the directions on all the steroid creams, it says do not put near lips. I'm debating trying the Benadryl cream, but since it's an antihistamine, it would have a drying effect, which is what I don't want, which could ultimately worsen the condition.

So far I'm drinking more water, icing, and using plain Vaseline. I'm hesitant to try a bunch of new stuff at once for fear of causing further irritation. Fingers crossed I see relief soon.
August 14th, 2013, 02:09 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally understand not wanting to take meds that pass through the breast milk, but I just wanted to say that Avery had to take steroids for 5 days at 6 weeks for her breathing issues and it really wasn't bad. she didn't have any real side effects from it. Don't feel bad about taking the meds if it gets to be too much.
August 14th, 2013, 08:24 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Gosh that sounds awful. Hope you get some relief soon!

August 14th, 2013, 10:34 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I feel they are a tad better today than yesterday. I'm also finding that using Vaseline seems to worsen it. So I'm not putting anything on...my friend thinks it looks like a burn so maybe Vaseline isn't the best option.

Last edited by kary4; August 14th, 2013 at 10:39 AM.
August 14th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Hmm. Maybe some aloe vera?

August 14th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
or a natural oil-- olive or coconut? glad to hear it might be slightly better. you were actually in my dream last night! but your lips were healed.
EverydayJoy likes this.
August 14th, 2013, 12:18 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Lol. Thanks Rhea! Yeah, I have thought about trying Aloe Vera and olive oil. I'm going to give it another couple of days to see if it starts healing more first. If I see even a little improvement, I'm not touching them with new stuff!
August 15th, 2013, 11:35 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Update. So for the past 2 days, my lips have been drying out and healing. The color returned to normal (no longer bright red, thank God!), and there is a definite lightening of the surrounding area outside my lips. But still really dry and painful. I stopped using anything, including Vaseline, bc even that was irritating them. I found some Aloe Vera spray and gel in my pantry. The gel has SD alcohol listed as the second ingredient, but the spray is alcohol free. So I used the spray - I spray it on tissue and then dab it around my lips, not directly on it, and that really seems to help soothe the area.

I've now also started using my regular lip balm in small amounts- Neutrogena lip moisturizer - to help combat the dryness. So far, so good. No burning or tingling. I think I'm on my way to recovery!
August 16th, 2013, 04:08 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Just read all this....Glad you are feeling better!

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
August 16th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Yay I'm glad it's getting better! I hope it's all gone in time for your pictures!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search