baby carriers

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By misty3281
  • 1 Post By JandJC

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2013, 05:05 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How long do you ladies use your baby carriers? I never bought one because I just figured we'd use the carseat and she'd be fine, but naturally she doesn't want to always stay in the carseat when we're out so if somebody isn't with me to help hold her or push the buggy we don't get much accomplished. I saw 3 people in Target the other day using carriers and it just looked so easy. Thinking I might even be able to get housework done if I buy one. I'm just wondering if it's worth it at this point. How old or what weight do you stop using the carriers? Which ones are better than others?

PS- Avery is 4 months and prob about 11 or 12 lbs.
August 18th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Veteran
I use my carrier often! My LO is about 17 lbs but three months old. It depends what I want to do with him but generally use either the moby wrap, ergo or baby bjorn. He likes facing out in the bjorn but know this is not good for him so limit the use of this. He really loves the moby wrap and will generally go to sleep in this if he is due for a nap. This makes it really useful if we are going out and can't take the pram. Last week we had family staying and spent a lot of time going to the beach etc and don't know what I would have done without my moby wrap, I could happily sit with him fast asleep on the beach. The ergo is also useful and probably more comfortable then the bjorn. I also have a sling but have not found it to be very useful, probably because he is so big, you can adjust it though so he can sit on your hip which I will probably use a lot when his head control is a bit better. Basically I couldn't live without my carriers! Makes going to the shops etc an absolute breeze!
August 18th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Super Mommy
I just bought the ergo. You can use that till they are like 3 or 4. It's worth it if your family goes out and about a lot. And it's very comfortable!
August 18th, 2013, 09:12 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use a Baby K'Tan fabric carrier and it is rated from 8 to 35 lbs, so you could still get a lot of use out of it. I really love it, especially at this stage of the game. Kody is probably about 13 lbs, but he doesn't have perfect head control yet, and with the K'Tan, you can move on of the "straps" of fabric over the side of his head so that his head is stable. Usually he doesn't like that when he's awake, but after he falls asleep (which he nearly always does in this carrier), I do that and then I'm completely hands-free.
Here's an internet pic of what I mean about the head thing:

It looks very comfortable for him, and yet it's nice and stable and a snug fit so he's not sloshing around in there.
The K'Tan is about $50 new, but it was so worth it for me. Kody loves it and I do too.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 18th, 2013, 09:23 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I wore Liam on my back last week at the beach (38lbs, 42")

I wear Kieran rather regularly. He is 32lbs, 36" tall. I either use our Kinderpack (like an ergo, but bigger and more well-made) or I use our woven wrap. Makes him feel light as a feather!

And naturally, Jo gets worn a lot. We use our ring sling (fav right now), our Kinderpack, our woven, or our mei tai.

For an all-around carrier to get you from now until 2-3, I would get a Kinderpack or woven wrap. For ease, the Kinderpack is the way to go. For versatility, the woven wrap. They are the best baby gear I own. And since you are planning another, it will become indispensable!! I couldn't go anywhere without wearing!
August 18th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I use a Boba 3g, Wrap conversion ring sling, gauze wrap, and I just ordered a bigger woven wrap.
We don't have an infant car seat, so I wear him anytime we're out of the house/car.. and intend on doing so until he is a toddler. most good carriers are rated up to 30-40lbs... a stretchy wrap may be rated to a higher weight limit too but won't realistically last you much past this stage.

Look on Facebook for a local babywearing group, you may be surprised all the info you find. The one near me (ie 2 hrs away) allows you to borrow carriers for a month before deciding to buy! it gives you the chance to try some different types before figuring out what works best for you.
I would advise you to research what you are getting though... avoid 'crotch danglers'.. it's not good for baby, and can be quite uncomfortable on you as well!

August 18th, 2013, 10:41 AM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
We love our Boba 3G. It's similar to the ergo, but didn't require an infant insert (which was awesome when Claire was smaller and it was hot as heck outside). Now that our babes are a little bigger, the infant insert is probably not even necessary.
August 18th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I use my Ergo sans infant insert since she's a big girl now We used the infant insert all the time when she was new though, I loved how she was just swaddled up in there. Lately she's been rebelling big time against the Ergo, which SUCKS because I love it. She doesn't want to be facing in, and I think she gets hot. She used to love it for napping, but now she just cries and cries as soon as I put her in.

I also have a Baby Bjorn that she loves to face out in, but like someone else said, they aren't good for the baby's back, so I don't use mine for long periods of time.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
August 18th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. I'm going to sit down and look up all of these after I finish cooking dinner and I'm sure I'll have more questions tonight or tomorrow. I look up a lot of reviews and stuff online but it's always nice to get honest opinions from people you trust.
EverydayJoy likes this.
August 18th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Onya brand?
August 18th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
i love baby wearing! I used the moby with DD until she was 18 months... I only stopped because i'm short and she was getting too long on me. this time i have a baby hawk that a friend customized for me to have interchangeable panels like dallas cowboys, nascar, angels baseball etc. i love it. i use it as often as possible because it is convenient and acts as added resistance when you're walking so your muscles are working harder and you burn more calories

August 18th, 2013, 08:33 PM
JandJC's Avatar #2 due in April!
I would die without a carrier....its an instant soother for Emmett! I have an ergo, baby bjorn, and the katan but E much prefers the baby bjorn and its SO easy to use. I'm hoping to use the baby katan with my next!
EverydayJoy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search