4 month old fatty?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree36Likes
  • 4 Post By NewlyMrs
  • 8 Post By ashj_1218
  • 3 Post By kary4
  • 3 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By misty3281
  • 3 Post By LolaBadola
  • 1 Post By Skimboardin Mama
  • 1 Post By Erin80
  • 1 Post By Mrsbowbin
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 5 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By Sweetpea24
  • 1 Post By mrsjl
  • 1 Post By JandJC
  • 1 Post By rheaimedved
  • 1 Post By MrsNHigh

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Super Mommy
My doctor has me so anxious now. At Wyatt's 4 month appointment yesterday, he weighed in at 15 pounds, and when the doctor asked how much he was eating I told him seven 6oz bottles a day and he freaked out like that was an insane amount. He told me I should start solid foods and knock ouT at least 2 bottles a day. I tried some rice cereal, but he just pushed it right out like he is not ready.

How do I cut back on bottles when he screams for them every 2 hours?!

And I can't water them down due to his acid reflux- he would just throw it up- that's why we have to have him on the special Enfamil AR formula.

My husband is a big guy and I struggled with my weight as well. I don't want my child to have to deal with that. But I also don't want to give him a complex....now I'm just so upset every time I feed him.
August 24th, 2013, 08:18 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
From what I've seen in pictures he looks perfect. And I think a child tells you what they need. His crying signifies he's not done. I'd personally say ignore the doc and follow your gut!

August 24th, 2013, 08:29 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Nope. Don't listen. That doc sounds like a fool. (So sorry, but I think so).

For the first thing: he is not even close to overweight! My second son weighed 19lbs, 12oz at his 4-month appt. He ate constantly. And he is still a big kid, but very proportionate. I don't believe for a second that an infant who asks for food is over fed.

For two: starting solid foods at 4 months is no longer recommended because of the newer information on the infant gut and it's development.

For three: It's not like you are feeding him because you don't want to deal with his other needs (cuddles, playtime, sleep). I have seen someone over feed their child...but it came in the form of offering bottle after bottle for every single ailment to the point that the poor kid ate 15 oz before bed simply because he wasn't tired but his parents didn't want to deal with him.

Fourth: 15lbs in a 4-month-old boy is only the 46th percentile according to WHO data. No child who is being over fed is in the 46th percentile.

Go with your mama instincts on this one. You are doing perfect (and your child is not going to struggle with weight because you fed him when he asked to be fed. I would be far more worried about putting a baby on a "diet"). He looks and sounds perfect. Feed him without an ounce of worry. He will let you know when he is ready for solids. His genetics will specify how big or not big he is. But for now, he certainly is not in a range to be worried about. Exactly average sounds just fine!

Super big thanks to Jaidynsmum for my cool siggy!
August 24th, 2013, 09:18 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Ashlee said it perfectly - your doc is an idiot. How dare he make you worried about something like that! That is also not a reason to start solid foods. Babies have to get rid of their tongue thrust reflex first before they can take even food from a spoon.

6 Reasons To Delay Introducing Solid Food | Ask Dr. Sears®
August 24th, 2013, 09:24 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Totally agree with all of the above. Just keep on doing what you're doing---he sounds like he's perfectly healthy. You should never have to starve a 4 month old!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 24th, 2013, 09:28 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Um yeah, what they said. He sounds perfectly healthy. He's a baby, if he's hungry feed him. How much of a weight gain was it from his 2 month appt?
kurly likes this.
August 24th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
Owen is only 3 months old and weighs 15.5 lbs. Guess he's a fatty too! ;-)

August 25th, 2013, 12:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
I agree with everyone else! Koa is almost 4 months and I think he'll be hitting the 15lb mark soon too. You're doing great mama!
kurly likes this.

August 25th, 2013, 03:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Def agree with Ashlee!
kurly likes this.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
August 25th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Brock's minion
This confuses me. My son (also formula fed) has been on four 7-8 oz bottles since 3 months. Our ped said you want them between 24-32 ounces everyday. We tried different ways but Brock likes the four larger bottles, it's just his preferance. I just don't get why a baby at a normal weight can't have 42 ounces a day if that's what he likes? Who makes these rules? If Brock wants another bottle any time I'll give it to him. I think he's about 17lbs and will be 4 months on the first.
Skimboardin Mama likes this.

Michelle
August 25th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks guys, I'll try to forget about it. It's just like I said, this was going to be my biggest thing with him was to keep his weight healthy so he doesn't end up like mommy and daddy.

I don't remember what he was at 2 months, but I think he was 12.5 at 14 weeks. So he gained 2.5 lbs in one month.

I will just keep dong what I'm doing and if he does another drastic jump at 6 months, I will see what changes I can make.

Thanks for the support all!!
August 25th, 2013, 08:04 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Even if he does do a drastic jump, keep in mind kids go through growth spurts. And, the fat that he's putting on now, is to give him extra reserves for when he is a toddler and prefers running around to eating! They usually slim down around 1-2 years old and end up super skinny. I think really just let him eat whatever he wants right now, and when he starts eating "adult" food, just offer him healthy choices.
kurly likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 25th, 2013, 08:28 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
It's pretty common for babies to "bulk up" between 3 and 7 months, because when they get active, they actually stop growing as fast and those "extra" pounds help keep them healthy during their new exploration stage. It's not uncommon to hear of a baby who is 15lbs at 4 months, but only 20 at a year. Because once they move around, things change a lot!

It's tough to have that thought of "I want to start implementing healthy food rituals so he can be healthier than us." I totally get that (I had an eating disorder and Dhs family is all overweight). But the healthiest thing you can do for him now is to feed on demand, intro healthy foods when he is ready, and not make him think eating is an unhealthy thing. Let him enjoy the experimentation. There will be periods of toddlerhood where he eats everything in sight for weeks, he will even get a tad chubby....then shoot up like mad! It's normal. Then there will be the opposite, times when he survives on air and bites of yogurt. As long as you offer the healthiest options and implement family meals, I think he will do just fine

Super big thanks to Jaidynsmum for my cool siggy!
August 25th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Chloe is the same way she is 3 months at 14 lbs, and drinks 8ozs bottles 5 times a day. And she is also on the same formula for the same problem, for us we gave her a fruit and veggie for a meal 2 meals of that, and then the rest of the time where bottles. It seems to be working
kurly likes this.

August 25th, 2013, 12:16 PM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ditto ashlee on everything!

just to give you an idea... my second child was 16 lbs 8 oz at 4 months old. at 6 months old, he was 18 lbs 6 oz. at a year he was 21 lbs 15 oz. from 8 months to 12 months he gained less than a pound. less than a pound in 4 months!!! so my "chubby" 16 and a half pound 4 month old turned out perfectly average by his first birthday because he became more active. it all evened out in the end. please don't stress about feeding him.
kurly likes this.

August 26th, 2013, 07:36 AM
JandJC's Avatar #2 due in April!
that's ridiculous! my son was 15lbs at his 3 month appointment and the doctor wasn't even remotely concerned...in fact they said he was only in the 75th percentile for weight. E eats about 5 or 6 six ounce bottles a day. I'm sorry your feeling super stressed about this!
kurly likes this.

August 26th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Everyone has already said it all. Just for some comparison, Misha was nearly 18 lbs at his TWO month appointment; he's a little under 4 months now and is about 20 lbs. Our pediatrician was amazed, but not an ounce concerned. You could even look around for another pediatrician if you're worried about the kind of advice this one is giving you. You're doin' fine, mama
kurly likes this.
September 1st, 2013, 07:44 PM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Carter was 16 lbs at his 2 months appointment. I'm sure he's around 20 now at 3 months old. The doctor told us he was huge, but she also said to just keep doing what I was doing. He's our meatball and he is healthy and happy. Get a new doctor and feed your baby.
kurly likes this.

Nichole
September 1st, 2013, 11:57 PM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's nonsense. Keep doing what you are doing. When he's ready for solids he will let you know. Remember solids before 1 is just for fun!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search