Nursing issues

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2013, 10:04 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does anyone else's baby do this? Kody just about always refuses to eat unless he is just waking up from a nap or in the middle of the night. If he is wide awake, he won't eat, even if he's obviously hungry (or if I know he ought to be hungry, from the amount of time that has passed from his last meal). Sometimes I can convince him to take it if I walk up and down the hall with the boob dangling there within reach. But usually he will refuse that too, and refuse a bottle as well. It's really frustrating.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 24th, 2013, 10:18 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Hmm...how long is he going between feedings? Does he cry as if he's hungry? I can't figure out Lexi's eating schedule myself...it seems like she isn't as hungry as she used to be. And a lot of times she latches on and off multiple times. She seems to get distracted easily. So I will just take her off and wait till later.
August 24th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Veteran
Brian has been doing the same thing and totally freaking out if I try to make him nurse. Since yesterday I have been feeding him less and problem is totally solved. I am offering hm only one breast at a feed where as I always offered him both. He has been SO much happier and actually going longer between feeds and settling better. I have obviously been totally over feeding him for a long time and he has worked out how to refuse now.
August 24th, 2013, 10:55 PM
He used to have a schedule where he would sleep for an hour, eat, awake for an hour, sleep, etc etc all day, but now he sleeps a couple hours at a time and is awake for several hours. Usually he will eat when he wakes up, but if I don't catch him right when he wakes, sometimes he will refuse after he's woken up all the way from his nap. Sometimes he will go 4 or 5 hours without eating. I wouldn't care about that if he wasn't screaming. It's frustrating because sometimes I can get him to nurse during the scream fests, and then he'll settle down and sometimes fall asleep. But most times he'll refuse outright. He's been doing that though for probably several months, it's just with the new sleep schedule it leaves him going hungry in between naps.

@ realmom--I'm glad you figured out what works for you. Kody only takes one breast at a time and most feedings are usually 10 minutes or less. So I feel like he doesn't really eat that much as it is, and I think that's why he still wakes up several times a night to eat, because of refusing during the day.

August 24th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Veteran
Tiago will sometimes refuse as well, or he will only nurse for 10 minutes. So I supplement 2oz of formula when he does tgat and he usually sucks the bottle dry. I figured he was just getting tired of the breast, but maybe it is a phase these guys are going through.
August 24th, 2013, 11:17 PM
If Kody would take the bottle, I wouldn't mind that. Well, it would be annoying, but at least he would EAT. As it is, he will just refuse everything and scream. It's so hard to get him to settle when he does that.

August 25th, 2013, 02:41 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm that's so hard for you mama!! Have you tried different types of bottles? Maybe he's frustrated because it doesn't come out fast enough?

August 25th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Veteran
If he has soley been on the breast, the bottle does take work. I would personally ask your pediatrician for some ideas or suggestions as well.
August 25th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Super Mommy
Joy, I swear I could've written this a week ago. Kody and Aysam are exactly the same. This is what I did and it's helping tremendously: I would try to burp him even if he did not nurse. I was surprised to find that he actually burps when I do that. Helped a bit. Then, my baby also refused the bottle and the paci, but I kept and kept trying until he took them. He would still spit them out, try your finger instead, i am positive he will take it, it helps calm him down a bit. Most importantly, change the way you hold him while nursing. I have switched to the football holding (?) position, and he would latch on just great.

Good luck!
EverydayJoy likes this.
August 25th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Michelle, he got introduced to the bottle when he was 1 day old---he knows how to use it just fine and will take it no problem at other times. I think sometimes he prefers it to nursing because I have a fast let down and it annoys him.
I'm wondering if it's his reflux medication. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that before. But when they have reflux sometimes they don't want to nurse because they know that when the milk comes back up it's going to hurt. Ethan was the opposite, he was nursing all the time and gaining a lot of weight becuase he was trying to soothe his throat. But I read last night that they can go the other way too.

August 25th, 2013, 09:53 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
^^Thats what I was going to ask. If his meds aren't working/helping, he will start to associate eating with pain and not want to do it. And it takes a while for that association to kick in. I think he needs different meds. Is he growing okay? As they expect? I am wondering if it is affecting his growth, which will only make the cycle continue. We did this with Liam, almost exactly. At our babies age, he weighed 9lbs, 15oz, which was when we finally found a med that worked (Axid). But it was a miserable road with many frustrations. Huge hugs . I am so sorry you are dealing with it
August 25th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Ashlee, he's been familiar with that association for some time now. He was doing this same thing before we started on the Zantac, got some better when we started it but not all the way, and he just has never improved to where I'd like. Now it seems like it's getting back to how it was before we started the Zantac. We tried Prilosec but it was worse than Zantac. I guess it's back to the drawing board.
As for his weight, last time he was weighed was at 2 months old, and he was 12 lbs 8 oz. 50th percentile. I want to check his weight again and see how he is, I think I will go ahead and take him back in to the doc.

On our scale at home, it looks like he's about 16 lbs, so he's doing ok I guess. It doesn't seem like he should weigh that much with the way he eats. Perhaps he catches up with all the night feedings---he probably does about 5 feeds at night.

August 25th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Here's what our morning looked like---Kody only ate about 2 oz of breastmilk between 6am to noon. Then around noon he coughed and choked his way through a 3 oz bottle, then fell asleep. I'm hoping he will eat well when he wakes up---I worry about him getting dehydrated!

August 25th, 2013, 02:23 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Joy, maybe you should call the pedi to discuss. That's concerning, especially if he's getting dehydrated.
August 25th, 2013, 03:11 PM
I think I'm going to take him in tomorrow. He did eat fine when he woke up from his nap, though.
ashj_1218 likes this.

August 25th, 2013, 03:16 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Some babies don't have growth issues at all...but can still struggle along with it. I think you are right to take him to the doc. Maybe mention Axid. It's a known acid reflux drug for babies. Liam did not respond to Zantac, this was our second option and it worked.

Another thought...has the doc re-dosed it at all? I wonder if it worked to start since he was getting it for a 12kb baby. And now at 16lbs, it's not doing the job anymore? Liam had to be re-dosed every 2 weeks for months.

I hope you figure it out soon!
August 25th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Actually about 3 weeks ago I asked to up the dose of Zantac because I thought it was helping some but not enough, and they upped it to double. Still, it might be able to go higher still if they were ti weigh him again. I'll ask about that. I'd prefer to try something different, so I'll ask about the Axid.

August 25th, 2013, 06:02 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Also ask about Prevacid. My first was on that for at least a year - it worked wonders!
August 25th, 2013, 06:47 PM
I wanted to do Prevacid right off the bat, since it worked for Ethan, but Kody has to fail Zantac and Prilosec before his insurance will pay for Prevacid (it's spendy). I guess both have been failed now so maybe they'll let me try it.

August 26th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Kenzie's Avatar Photography Momma
When Carter's reflux wasn't controlled, that is exactly how he was. Once they upped his meds, he was back to normal.
EverydayJoy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search