Getting her out of the swing

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't know if it's the swing messing with her naps, or what, but SOMETHING has go to give. This baby spends her days tired. She sleeps for only 30 minutes, and will do that constantly every hour and a half all day long. It's exhausting for her, and me. She won't let me put her down anywhere now, I have to hold her 24/7. I just finished eating my lunch while she cried in the bouncy seat. Seriously the second I put her down, she's crying. She hates facing in in any carrier now, so if I want her in a carrier to has to face out, and obviously she can't sleep well like that.

How do I go about getting her out of the swing for naps??? This is so hard because I have two other kids to watch, I can't go upstairs and rock Lilah to sleep for every single little nap she takes. I need to be able to just lie her down, or else walk her around to sleep down here....which is impossible because my girls are so loud, especially my 2 1/2 yr old who doesn't understand how to be quiet. When I go get her after a nap, she's always slumped forward in the swing, or she's sitting sideways. I wonder if she's uncomfortable. She goes to sleep in it within seconds of me putting her in there, but then I guess she shimmies herself into weird positions.

Where do your babies nap? How do you get them down?

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
August 28th, 2013, 11:35 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kody naps either in his bassinet or in my sling. He falls asleep fast in the sling but doesn't really stay asleep any longer than if he's in his bassinet. If he's not in the sling I have to walk him in my arms to get him to fall asleep. It's annoying sometimes, but usually only takes about 15-20 min if the conditions are right. At least Ethan is pretty good about entertaining himself while I get Kody to go to sleep. I miss the few times he was going to sleep by himself, though. That was just wonderful. He never does that anymore though.

I've been reading how infant probiotics can help fussy/colicky babies. I'm going to try some.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 28th, 2013, 11:42 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
PS I use a little pillow or rolled up blanket behind Kody's upper back when he's in the swing, because otherwise his head would slump forward too. When you have something behind them that brings the shoulders/upper back forward, then their head naturally falls back. I like that better for my nervous thoughts about whether he's breathing properly or not.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 28th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Super Mommy
We don't really nap over here...15-20 minutes here or there. But he sleeps all night so I take the trade off! How does Lilah sleep at night?
August 28th, 2013, 12:59 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Honestly, bc I'm at my wit's end, I let her cry it out today for naps. I made sure she was fed and changed, even offered her seconds (she refused), and then I laid her down in the crib and left. I knew she was tired. She spit her paci out but I didn't go back in. She cried pretty hard while I stepped in the shower (my son was watching Curious George on the iPad)...but she conked out before I finished my shower. It was a good 5-10 min of crying though. I did the same thing this afternoon and it worked. But man I hate hearing her cry like that.
August 28th, 2013, 01:06 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
We are a 20-minute napper over here too. I think it's a pretty common stage. Jo will sleep a little longer if I sit with her on the couch while she sleeps. But I can only do that when the boys are sleeping themselves. But she is pretty pleasant when awake, so I don't mind.

Lilah sounds very high needs. It is a certain baby type. They are usually alert and intelligent. But they certainly give their parents a tough time. I remember reading a book about it back when Liam was a baby (he was my high needs one). But I forget what it was called. I checked it out from the library and it was great at suggesting things to keep him entertained and things that might calm him easier (one was being in a dark room with white noise...that worked good for him when he would work himself into a tizzy). He became very fun at about 10 months, when he really chilled out and could interact with his world. Frustration was one thing the book talks about a lot. Maybe search for some books/articles on high needs kiddos? Maybe it will have tips for helping with managing her right now.
August 28th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks guys.
She sleeps well at night, goes down around 7:45pm, sleeps until 2-3am, eats, then sleeps until somewhere between 6-7am.

She is high needs for sure. Very fussy and ornery. She always needs to be stimulated somehow - always looking at something and preferably moving around. She wants to be carried all the time - facing out only. If she was a chilled baby and would actually sit content for a while, I wouldn't care about the lack of napping.....but since she's just so high needs when she's awake, and only takes short naps, I'm exhausted, burnt out, and getting NOTHING done around here which drives me batty because I'm a very clean person usuallly! Breakfast dishes can sit until after lunch before they are done. Ugh. Not to mention the horrible guilt I feel with not spending much time with my two older girls on a day to day basis.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
August 28th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Joshua has stopped napping much during the day the most he sleeps is 20 mins I let him fall asleep on me then lie him on the couch or in his Moses basket he sleeps best in the pram but only if we're out but yeah he been napping a lot less lately its frustrating x

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search