I think it is time...

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By misty3281
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By rheaimedved
  • 1 Post By NewlyMrs
  • 1 Post By kary4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2013, 04:48 PM
Veteran
I think it is time for me to go to formula only. Tiago nurses more for comfort and sleep nowadays and still looks for formula after. I know my milk is coming out, I think it may not be sufficient enough for him. I have been taking fenugreek and it does not seem to be making any changes except making Tiago gasy. I know I am stressed out to the max as well right now.
August 31st, 2013, 05:04 PM
Super Mommy
Happy momma, happy baby and vice versa. Do whatever makes you two happy!
August 31st, 2013, 05:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You gotta do what works for you and your baby! I'll be going to formula too, but not until around 8 months I am quitting this pumping at 6 months, no way could I go longer!

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
August 31st, 2013, 06:33 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly I really do want to switch to formula. I've posted about it and talked to the pedi, DH, and my mom about it and they're all on board. Problem I have is when it comes time to actually do it I can't make myself go through with it because I just really enjoy BF'ing, not to mention it's free! Since we are ready for #2 though I really do have to back off so I can start ovulating again. Boob or bottle doesn't matter. You have to do what's best for your situation. I can assure you if you lined up 50 babies you wouldn't know which we're FF vs BF. As long as you feed the little boogers it's all good.
August 31st, 2013, 07:33 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
You have given him a great 3 months of breast milk. If this is the next step, do it without any guilt. Whatever keeps you two happy is winning
MichelleLynn likes this.
August 31st, 2013, 08:48 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Agree with above! No harm, no foul. Just do what works best!
MichelleLynn likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 31st, 2013, 09:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
nursing is crazy stressful! if i was in your situation, my main consideration would be cost. if switching to formula full time wouldn't be a financial strain, do it. but in any case, you definitely shouldn't be stressing out about it!
MichelleLynn likes this.
September 1st, 2013, 02:23 AM
Veteran
Thanks for the positive words ladies. The pediatrician wants me to try to continue nursing until he is at a minimum of 6 months. I am trying hard. Formula is very expensive but I will always go without to give him the best. I will continue to try breastfeeding...part of me would lovr to soley breastfeed him. I love being the only one able to do that!! But we will see what happens in due time.
September 1st, 2013, 07:43 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never thought I'd say this but I've started supplementing as well. I was nursing every 30-90 minutes and he just wasn't getting enough. Now I supplement 2 feedings a day to allow my boobs to fill! There's times he doesn't want to nurse now, just wants the bottle so I'm pumping more. I'm slowly coming to terms with it and admit its nice sometimes not to be whipping my boob out all the time.

You have to do what's best for you. You nursed your little man through the most critical stages and you should be proud of that! If you make it to 6 months that's great but don't be too hard on yourself . I know just how you're feeling.
rheaimedved likes this.

September 1st, 2013, 09:17 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I'm so tired of whipping out the boob myself. It's exhausting! I am trying to make it to 6 months - it is so hard! Preschool starts this week for my son so maybe that will rejuvenate me.
rheaimedved likes this.
September 1st, 2013, 01:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I totally relate to how exhausting it is having to nurse constantly! I know lactivists would deem me a terrible mother for feeling this way (quick, call CPS!), but it's a huge relief, between nursing and pumping 40 oz a day, for my husband to just give baby M a bottle when he's hungry-- plus it's great for them to bond. It took some time learning to accept that I can't nurse all the time (Misha flat out refuses on occasion) but, ultimately, it's a great thing for us.
September 1st, 2013, 04:33 PM
Veteran
Tiago will flat out refuse sometimes and if I give him formula he will suck the bottle dry. There are other times where he nurses and he will begin to play after only 5 minutes so I know it is not enough. I continually try to offer the breast. Sometimes he takes it..sometimes he doesn't and I have to end up giving him a little bit of formula. I am trying and trying to give him even just a little bit a day because I know it is best for him. I do enjoy breast feeding.
September 2nd, 2013, 05:04 PM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
Have you tried out a shield? Also oatmeal helps my supply, I eat about 2 bowls a day when I feel like she isn't getting enough. Then also make sure you are taking in enough calories and water. Essentially though it is whatever is going to make you both happy and healthy, stress isn't good for your supply (or your health) so try not to worry about it and if you can't do that then do what will help you stress less I'm a huge breastfeeding advocate however every baby and their needs are different, I have switched to formula for one of my girls at 4 months and I can honestly say it was what was best for both of us.

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
September 3rd, 2013, 07:14 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Just because you supplement, it doesn't mean you have to stop. I have been giving Remy 1 to 2 bottles a day like Melissa to help allow my boobs to fill up and to help fill him up as well. Otherwise , I will be whipping the boobs out all day long. I still love breastfeeding and would love to continue what Im doing until hes about a year old. I don't feel bad at all about giving some formula here and there. Its what is best for both of us.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
September 3rd, 2013, 07:28 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you won't be able to BF while working I would strongly suggest trying to give him even just an oz of formula a day now to get him used to it. I tried a sample can I had gotten a couple days ago to just see what Avery would do. She pushed the nipple to the corner of her lips so it was running straight down the side of her mouth. I can't even say she swallowed any of it. I'm waiting for the Gentlease to come before I start giving it daily, but she made it obvious it's going to be a fight. It'd be better for him to get used to it at home slowly than all of a sudden at the daycare and it's a battle.
September 3rd, 2013, 07:42 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
yeah you're right misty. I went through a couple of formula samples before finding one that agreed with him and that he liked. I didnt want to put him in daycare not knowing if he was going to like or be able to tolerate the formula.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search