New baby stuff! *Pictures added*

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 6 Post By Shufu_in_Shunan
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 2 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By Shufu_in_Shunan
  • 1 Post By realmom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2013, 02:11 AM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
Some of you may remember I almost bought an Ergo carrier awhile back from a store on amazon.jp, but I canceled the order because I suspected it was a counterfeit. Well, after doing research, I discovered that while amazon.com is no longer an authorized Ergo dealer, amazon.jp is, as long as you buy directly from amazon.jp and not from the marketplace (like I almost did a couple months ago). So I've been keeping my eye on the sales there, and one of the styles went on sale for $90 (originally $145), so I snatched it up!

I've also been searching all over the place for a crib, since Kaeldra is quickly growing out of her Moses basket. Everything I have seen for sale here has been the drop-side kind...they are not outlawed here like they are in the U.S. I was getting really frustrated! Most Japanese people bedshare, but my husband would likely squish her in his sleep, so we weren't going to do that. However, the next most common thing Japanese people do with their babies is have them sleep on baby futons. So I ordered a baby futon. It's Hello Kitty print lol. I'll just have to make sure the room is extremely well baby-proofed by the time she can crawl around. :S

Here are some pictures of the Hello Kitty futon! I won't be using the blanket and pillow until she's older, but I have them in the pictures, too.

Last edited by Shufu_in_Shunan; September 6th, 2013 at 12:45 AM.
September 3rd, 2013, 09:36 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awesome! Glad you were able to work out sleeping arrangements and find an Ergo!
Shufu_in_Shunan likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
September 3rd, 2013, 09:47 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I must see pics of said baby futon! Sounds so adorable! And yay for good deals. Everyone loves those
September 3rd, 2013, 12:21 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I've never heard of a baby futon! That's cute! But I would worry about her crawling away? Interesting to hear how it pans out.
September 3rd, 2013, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
I've never heard of a baby futon! That's cute! But I would worry about her crawling away? Interesting to hear how it pans out.
Lol yeah, I'm a little worried about that, too.
rheaimedved likes this.

September 4th, 2013, 12:16 AM
Veteran
Would also love to see a picture of a baby futon. Sounds too cute!
September 6th, 2013, 12:51 AM
My stuff came today, yay! I added pics of the futon for those who wanted to see.

September 6th, 2013, 06:27 AM
May 2013 Cohost
That is too darn cute! I'm still worried about her rolling off!
September 6th, 2013, 07:03 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Super cute! Hope it works well for her!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
September 6th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Super Mommy
Kim, she's so adorable! And I love the futon. But be careful, my daughter used to sleep in my bed and around five months, she rolled over and fell off the bed. Took her to the ER just to make sure she was Ok. Luckily no broken bones or anything, but I would caution you.. I did get the bed rails though.
September 6th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
omg so cute!!!!
September 6th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Thanks, guys! I'm not sure how easy it is to tell from the pictures, but the futon is pretty close to the ground-- much, much shorter than a typical mattress, so I think she'll be ok, even if she were to roll off of it. I may put something down to make the floor a bit softer, though, just in case. There are some soft flooring pieces that are pretty popular here for use with babies/kids, so maybe something like that:

I'm more concerned with baby-proofing the area. Apparently "floor beds" are popular in a "Montessori" environment. I only heard about Montessori-style rooms recently, but I think I'll look at what people with those do to make beds on the ground as safe as they can be (since it's difficult to find out exactly what Japanese people do to make it as safe as possible). It is comforting to know that Japan has one of the lowest infant mortality rates in the world, so they must be doing something right!

I've also been considering a pop-up mosquito net. I don't know...there are poisonous centipedes here, so it may put my mind more at ease, and maybe would help prevent her from rolling too far?
Skimboardin Mama likes this.

Last edited by Shufu_in_Shunan; September 6th, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
September 7th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
So cute! In Japan, is a futon just a platform bed? I know in the states a futon is one of those couches that easily folds down into a bed. Do you have to have a bedrail for it Koa would squirm right off that.

September 7th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimboardin Mama View Post
So cute! In Japan, is a futon just a platform bed? I know in the states a futon is one of those couches that easily folds down into a bed. Do you have to have a bedrail for it Koa would squirm right off that.
It's not a platform bed, since it's not on a raised surface at all. It's just a bed on the ground, but Japanese futon mattresses aren't the same as mattresses in America, either. I'm having trouble figuring out how to explain it (partially due to lack of sleep lol), but there is a 2 inch thick Japanese-style mattress on the very bottom, which is the white part you can see in the picture. Then on top of that is the actual futon, which is fairly thin...I'm not sure the exact dimensions of it, but maybe about an inch or just slightly thicker. Also, the mattress and futon are designed to be folded up and stored away in the closet during the day, to save space, since Japanese apartments are typically pretty small (I don't do that because I'm lazy lol). So yeah, they are completely different from what are called futons in America. I haven't really found any bed rails designed to be used on the ground. I think people just make sure there isn't anything unsafe for the baby to roll into if they do squirm off of the futon. I hope that made sense!

My husband and I sleep on a double-sized futon, but I think most Japanese couples opt to sleep on two single futons pushed together. That would make it a lot easier to store them away. Something kind of interesting is that there is a saying that babies and their parents should sleep in "kawa no ji" style, which means "sleeping like the (kanji) character for 'river.'" The character for river looks like this: 川 So that is supposed to resemble the two parents as the longer lines on the ends, then the baby as the shorter line in the middle. I thought that was cute lol. I guess that would prevent the baby from rolling off the futon, but my husband is a deep sleeper and moves around in his sleep, so it's not for us. Sorry for such a long post. :S
rheaimedved likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search