4 month check up

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By jcperez
  • 2 Post By misty3281
  • 3 Post By Mrsbowbin
  • 2 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By kurly

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2013, 06:25 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Remy went for his 4 month today. He is 13 lbs. 4 oz. Hes kind of on the small side but the dr. isn't concerned. She was a little concerned about his soft spot. It seems to be closing rather quickly. When she told me to feel it, it felt smaller than the size of a pea. I refuse to worry about it, especially after what I went through when I was pregnant and all the concern about him having a cyst. She wants to see him again next month to check it again and wants me to keep checking to make sure it doesn't close completely. He is such a happy go lucky baby though. He got 4 vaccines today and you wouldn't know it. He has been laughing and smiling all day. I forgot to ask her if he can start eating food?! How are your babies doing if they are eating food?
Mrsbowbin likes this.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
September 3rd, 2013, 06:37 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like an overall good visit. I give Avery 1st foods occasionally, but it's more for fun than anything. I've given her chicken in chicken broth, sweet peas, and banana pudding all at different times of course. She seemed to enjoy herself but really didn't take more than a few real bites. I won't give her pudding again though, I had so much going on it didn't even cross my mind with the milk I had to use, but she was fine so I didn't kill her yet. I still say this child doesn't stand a chance with me as her mom. Her pedi did say if they are going to have a reaction it's going to be within the first 4 hours, and at most 24 hours so we don't have to only introduce one food a week. Also she said as far as starting solids the newest thing is going by development rather than age since all babies are unique and just because one isn't ready for solids doesn't mean another the same age isn't ready. She said if they're rolling over consistently then it's ok to start 1st foods.
jcperez and Mrsbowbin like this.
September 3rd, 2013, 06:46 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've heard that if they go from sleeping well at night to waking often acting hungry, then they are ready for food. But I'm sure it's something you just play by ear. You could try food on him and see how it goes, and if it doesn't go well, wait and try again next month.

That's weird about the soft spot! I never knew there were so many things to worry about.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
September 3rd, 2013, 07:22 PM
Brock's minion
I was reading my husbands baby book this weekend and was shocked to find that his mom started him on solids at 4 months and 2% milk at 5 months.

Michelle
September 3rd, 2013, 09:11 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
He sounds like he is doing well! I have a friend whose son had a similar thing with his soft spot and it turned out to be nothing. She was freaked out about it, but it was the same as you, monitoring and found it wasn't closing, just smaller than typical. So I hope it's the same story for you!

And wanna a good laugh...I was on food (cereals) at 6 weeks. I was 9lbs, 4oz at birth and was 12lbs by 6 weeks. Apparently the doc told my mom that I was "the size of a 4-month-old and that she should feed me like one." Back then, they didn't have as much info. And I think we can safely say it didn't cause me damage (I am only allergic to one thing...bananas and certainly don't have obesity issues). Not that I recommend that (we started at 5ish months with Liam, 6ish with Kieran). But I do honestly believe that kids will survive even if we aren't always doing the exact recommendation. Most of parenting is just guessing what works for you and correcting when it doesn't (and hoping you didn't cause permanent damage ) I am all for waiting for solids til around 6 months. But I am lazy and don't want to deal with the nasty cloth diapers that come from solids and also know it would be purées at this point and I prefer just doing pieces of real food. Yup...lazy mom...right here! Lol.
EverydayJoy and jcperez like this.
September 3rd, 2013, 10:15 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Lazy mom here too! I'm going to probably wait until 5-6 months. I am going to start with cereals, but then I guess I need to start pumping to have some milk to mix it?! Noooo! Lol.
September 4th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Super Mommy
Keep us updated with the soft spot! Glad those shots didn't upset him for long. Strong boy!

I tried rice cereal with Wyatt at 4 months, but he just pushed it out. We are moving in 3 days, so I will try again once we are settled.

It probably doesn't matter when you start....baby will decide when he/she is ready!
EverydayJoy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search