BTDT moms...

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By LabLover13
  • 3 Post By kurly
  • 2 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By misty3281
  • 2 Post By rheaimedved

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2013, 01:53 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At what age did your child(ren) start sleeping consistently through the night?

I'm so tired.

September 19th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Brock's minion
I'm a FTM but Brock started sleeping through the night at right around two months. He started by sleeping 9-5 and by 2 1/2 months he started sleeping 12-13 hours. He has about 3 off nights since then. He is a troubled napper though, some days he'll do two great naps other days he fights to get in cat naps.
* I should add he's been in his crib since 6 weeks*

Michelle
September 19th, 2013, 03:59 PM
May 2013 Cohost
My son slept through the night starting at 3 months! He was 100% breastfed. Sleeping through the night was 7-8 hours for him. At that time I was waking him around midnight for a dream feed (he was aleep by 7 pm). He also was an incredible napper during the day. I don't know what happened with Lexi - she's completely different! The other night she was up 4 times! I'm soooo tired!
September 19th, 2013, 04:08 PM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
Troublesome Tots | No more bedtime drama for baby!

LOTS of good tips on there. She's pretty no-nonsense and tells it like it is.

Has Grady ever slept well? Maybe he's just going through a regression...it can start anywhere from 3 to 5 months old. If he's always been a crappy sleeper, it might be time for some sleep training.

I decided I post a lot about sleeping...I think it's because I'm a huuuuge sleeper myself, and am obsessed with getting Claire to be a good sleeper too, so I research research research. I'm a nerd that way.
September 19th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I honestly cant remember. Ill pull his baby book tonight and uodate. Im thinking around 7 months? He was an awful sleeper from the beginning so we finally ran out of options and did CIO which worked wonders for him and is the only way we got him to develop good sleeping habits.

September 19th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Both my girls woke in the night for a bottle (baby 1 was breast fed, but I pumped and bottle fed, and baby 2 was formula fed from 5 weeks on) until 13 months. I cut it off there, and put water in their bottles if they woke. They both got the hint after 3-4 nights, and then finally stopped waking. I let my babies wake to feed in the night until just after 1 year, and then we cut them off. Baby 2 wasn't good with solids until around 9 months, so she probably did need that middle of the night feed.

Lilah sleeps from 8pm - somewhere between 1-3am, has a bottle, then goes back to sleep until anywhere from 5:30 - 6:30am. I WISH she'd sleep longer, the early mornings are what kill me.......though even if she did sleep longer, my 2 year old has started waking at 6am. Awful.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
September 19th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Super Mommy
So I know tired mommies hate to hear this, but my guy already sleeps through the night and has since he was about 10 weeks old. At 10 weeks it was 9:00pm to 6:00am and over time he has now stretched to 7:30pm to 6:30am. He was a HORRIBLE sleeper for the first 5 and a half weeks. He was up EVERY 45 minutes day and night to eat. I remember sharing in the misery with Joy. I seriously wanted to die. So I started CIO. I let him cry for 5 minutes, then I went in and gave him the Binkie ( which he would usually immediately spit right out and start crying again) and I did this over and over until he eventually fell back asleep. It took about a week but he caught on and he started sleeping longer stretches.

I know some people don't like that method, but my kid sleeps through the night and after the first 5 and a half weeks of HELL.....I have no shame!
September 19th, 2013, 08:18 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!!

Lol.

Liam was 20 months. He required a bit of force to encourage it. We did rapid extinction...basically a short cry-it-out method at 10 months. He woke every hour or two of his entire life til that point. I put him down and went to him every 5-10 minutes until he fell asleep, rinse, repeat all night long. It took 4 days until he only woke up 1-2 times a night (but was awful and i vowed not to do it again). We continued on from there, with little change until he just bam, dropped waking up all together a month or two before Kieran came. To this day, if a child is up (besides Jo), it's him. He wakes 1 or so time a week for something (pee, drink, a noise, etc).

Kieran was 15 months. He stopped nursing at night at 13 months. Then it slowly went to him not waking at all. His required no input from me.

Jo wakes 2-3 times a night. I expect it will be a while for her to sleep through.

I should mention, my husband is a horrid sleeper. I am awesome and love sleep (I slept through the night from 10 days old onward). Liam nearly killed me. I hated every second of that sleep deprivation. It felt like death. But I have coped better each time. Sure, it would be cool if Jo slept at night. But our genetics clearly aren't there. Studies show that sleep patterns are largely inherited. You can set the routine, do the soothing motions, "teach them how to sleep," and it ain't gonna happen unless their genetics allow it. Even cry-it-out doesn't work for every child. I find the more I just accept I don't make sleepers, the easier it is for me. I actually consider Jo my good sleeper. I did, however, tell my husband that for an entire year after my children go to full-time school, I plan and expect to be permitted to sleep as much as I desire. Naps, sleeping in in weekends, "don't wake me unless the house is on fire" sleeping. And I will hold him to that agreement!! It's all his fault our kids sleep sucks.

Sorry my news isn't terribly reassuring. I wanted to keep it honest. Not every kid is a sleeper. And it doesn't mean you are doing something wrong. I thought that with Liam until I did more reading on it.
LabLover13 and rheaimedved like this.

Last edited by ashj_1218; September 19th, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
September 19th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks ladies! It's crazy because a couple months ago he slept through the night 3 nights in a row. Hasn't even come close since. Last night be was up 4 times. And he's not a great napper either. He'll usually give me three 45 minute naps. He cant keep his eyes open by 6:30 pm and then is up for the day at around 6:30. When he wakes at night he's definitely hungry. And usually he's up 2-3 times instead of 4. I don't know, hoping he grows out of it soon. Not ready to do CIO yet because he is waking to eat. When I try to push his bedtime back it either doesn't work or it does and then he wakes even more at night.

I'll read up more on sleep training

September 19th, 2013, 09:32 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Melissa, I'm in the exact same boat as you. I read that short naps (45 min or less) are normal for this age. As they get a little older, the naps should get longer, and especially when they drop from 3 naps a day to 2.

I too am left wondering what happened. On our vacation (8/17-8/24), Lexi slept 9-5:30 almost every night. Since then, she has regressed and never come out of it. It sucks.
September 20th, 2013, 01:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Zara was a terrible sleeper to but I think I was mostly to blame as I lived with my mum and anytime she cried I picked her straight up so she got used to it she still at 6 yrs old wakes at least once a nite for a drink to pee etc however Joshua sleeps much better already he didn't wake at all last night but I gave him 7 oz instead of 5oz so I think that helped but I think it's partly genetics and u learn by ur mistakes the second time but I couldn't do the CIO thing either x

September 20th, 2013, 05:20 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabLover13 View Post
Troublesome Tots | No more bedtime drama for baby!

LOTS of good tips on there. She's pretty no-nonsense and tells it like it is.

Has Grady ever slept well? Maybe he's just going through a regression...it can start anywhere from 3 to 5 months old. If he's always been a crappy sleeper, it might be time for some sleep training.

I decided I post a lot about sleeping...I think it's because I'm a huuuuge sleeper myself, and am obsessed with getting Claire to be a good sleeper too, so I research research research. I'm a nerd that way.
I just sat and read that article along with a couple others and they make all the sense in the world. So now going to try to put some of the suggestions to practice. Thanks!!
LabLover13 likes this.
September 20th, 2013, 05:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Celina - that's a great link! So I can easily move Lilah's bedtime bottle up by 20 min or so, that's fine to put her down awake, but the soother thing is going to trip us up BIG TIME. She needs that thing to fall asleep. She pops it out of her mouth, and DH lies there and pops it back in until she's sleeping....which isn't taking long these days since she doesn't nap well. If I were to just lie her down, no soother, I think she'd just start crying......and then what do you do? Pick her up? Am I supposed to soothe her? So many questions! I guess the reason my other girls didn't sleep through until 13 months was because of the bedtime/middle of the night bottle, and the soother.

September 20th, 2013, 07:20 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yup you don't want to know here either...haha. My first probably didn't sleep through the night until about ohh....2 years old? I probably should have written it down somewhere with the hallelujah chorus playing in the background...haha...but it was so gradual. But I doubt that will be your experience, with you saying yours only wakes about 4 times a night. That's pretty good, by my standards, with how both my boys have been. Kody is better than Ethan, but it's still 5-6x a night right now.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
September 20th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Last night was better. He was down at 6:30 then up at 10 for a bottle. Slept til 4, ate again and slept until 6. So only up twice. That article was great. Sounds like we need to get rid of the paci, which isn't going to be easy!!

September 20th, 2013, 12:24 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Yeah, the paci is my downfall. Wish I never started it. I only used it bc my son was a finger sucker, and I didn't want her to be the same. But now I see how annoying it is to keep having to put it in. Grr. I'm definitely getting rid of them by age 1.
September 20th, 2013, 05:22 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The binkie was a godsend for us for our firstborn. We just had to wait agonizingly through until he was old enough to put it back in himself. Then it was great. Now we do have to wean him off it all the way but I think overall it was worth it. If I get 5 extra minutes of sleep because of it, then it's worth it. I only wish Kody would take it.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
September 20th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't find the soother annoying right now, because she is right beside me...all I have to do is reach into the bassinet and pop it back in, no problem. However, when she's in her crib, down the hall....THAT is going to SUCK. I remember doing it for my first. 7 times a night. Not very fun.

September 21st, 2013, 05:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Misha started sleeping almost through the night just past 3 months. He usually goes to sleep around 9-10 and wakes up anytime from 4-6 then sleeps another couple of hours, waking up for the day as early as 7 but usually closer to 8, and sometimes we put him between us in the bed and manage to sleep another hour or so while he plays with the blanket and looks as us. Up until that point he would sleep 2-3 hours, then 1-2, then pretty much be up for the day, so this is a major improvement for us. Still tired in the mornings, but feel OK once we're up and going.

He sleeps in his crib in our bedroom, on his stomach. That was the turning point for us, I believe.
EverydayJoy and kurly like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search