Sunblock?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By kurly
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218
  • 2 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By NewlyMrs
  • 2 Post By mrsjl
  • 2 Post By Memi
  • 3 Post By LolaBadola
  • 1 Post By Skimboardin Mama
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By LolaBadola

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2013, 01:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
I know sunblock isn't recommended until 6 months, but next week we are going to the Cowboys vs Chargers game in San Diego, CA. We are sitting on the sunny side and are taking Koa. I'm going to bring a light nursing cover to cover him as he sleeps and he'll be wearing his cowboys ball cap and jersey which covers quite a bit of his arms. It will be about 71 degrees so not too hot but the sun will be on us quite a bit.

Would you guys use sunblock? Can anyone recommend any super baby friendly/ non cancerous/harmful stuff in it baby lotion? He'll be just shy of 5 months.

Thanks!

September 22nd, 2013, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We're waiting until 6 months to use sunblock, but I have purchased California Baby infant scent free yada yada yada sun block. I would agree that it's better to use it than to risk a burn.
I also have a stick of bagder infant sunblock as well, that would be better for on the face just because of the method of application!

Another brand I would use is Adorable Baby.
Skimboardin Mama likes this.

September 22nd, 2013, 02:21 PM
Super Mommy
Our pedi okayed sun lotion when our guy was like a month old or something. Just as long as it was "for babies". I can't remember what the exact brand is, but it's nothing special. Something like 'water babies'. We have been using it all summer with no side effects.

Better sun lotion than sun burn!

And go CHARGERS!
September 22nd, 2013, 04:43 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
We have been using Alba Botanicals Kids Very Emollient Sunscreen spf 45 since Jo was 2 months. I asked the doc and she said with a good mild sunscreen, it's the better option than risking sunburn. It's a gentle one that's free of nasty stuff. I love how easy it is to rub in (less like crazy white sunscreen, more like lotion). With two older kids and lots of outdoors activities, it was essential for us to use something on her face and extremities. We use a hat and a light blanket, but sunscreen was a must. Her skin handled it fine. I'd just test it a day or two before and make sure his skin doesn't react to your choice.
September 23rd, 2013, 07:20 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've read about sunscreens in the past and why they don't like to use them below 6 months. Hopefully this isn't too much information! Haha. But most regular sunscreens are designed to be absorbed into the skin, vs. just sitting on top of the skin as a physical barrier to the sun. With babies I think they worry about the chemicals from the sunscreen being absorbed into the skin, and therefore the bloodstream. So if you can, get a sunscreen that is intended to only sit on top of the skin-- one that uses zinc/titanium oxide to fight the sun's rays. Yes, it's not as pretty as the ones that absorb in--you get that classic "white" cream like in 70's movies where they have the white cream on their nose at the beach--but you will know your baby isn't getting any chemicals in their system.

Burt's Bee's makes a product, Baby Bee natural sun care, that is just zinc and titanium oxide, plus emollients.

Hope that helps---and I'm not trying to make the regular sunscreens sound like they're evil---haha I use them myself.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
September 23rd, 2013, 05:56 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I agree sunblock is better than a burn. I do try to wait until 6 months, though, but Koa is almost 5 months so I think you're ok. We use California Baby Sensitive - it's fragrance free and hypoallergenic. It's SPF 30. Never once been burned. You can find it at Target or order at diapers.com
September 24th, 2013, 05:52 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great question! We are going to a Giants baseball game Sunday so I'll be going to Target to look into some baby sunscreen myself!

September 24th, 2013, 07:01 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yeah like joy said you can get some that sit on top of the skin, i got it for thomas when we were away when he was 3 months because i knew if he didn't wear anything he'd get burned. he was VERY white with it on but other than that he was fine.

the brand I used is Substance sun care for babies

it costs about a million dollars and thankfully my friend just lent me some, but it should last you a LONG time.

September 24th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I double layers SPF 60 on Roman when we went to the beach a few weeks ago and sat him under the shade the entire time. Our last day there he somehow got sunburnt. Im still completely stumped by it but thank God he had lots on or it could have been much worse. Their skin is super fragile so I say sunscreen is much better than a possible blister.
We have Neutrogena Baby and Water Babies.

September 24th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
Check out this website. It's amazing! They're a watchdog organization that rates sunblock and other products:
EWG's 2013 Guide to Sunscreens
I've always used Badger Balm, which is pretty amazing stuff, but you could always put a SPF outfit on him, too, if you didn't want to go the sunblock route. This website has awesome SPF clothing for kids. We went to Hawaii when Ava was 11 months old and spent at least 8 hours a day in the sun (we're surfers). She wore one of the bodysuits and matching hat and I only put the Badger sunblock on her hands, feet, and face. Never burned once. Didn't even tan!
Infant 6M-24M: Sun Protective Clothing - Coolibar

September 24th, 2013, 03:25 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's a great idea about the clothing!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
September 24th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
Thanks everyone for all the ideas! Ido use that skin deep EWg website for our personal products. I am searching for products at 1 or 0. Where do you buy badger, subs.tance, alba, or adorable baby? I'm also going to look for the Burt's bees that sits on top of their skin.

We took Koa to the beach every weekend this summer but he's not too fair skin. We never had to use sun block because I kept him under an umbrella or covered with a super light nursing cover.

The SPF clothes is a great idea, but we are huge cowboys fans! This is DH's first cowboys game with his son so he wants him to wear his jersey. We do have a cowboys baseball cap though. His jersey covers the majority of his arms I'm taking spare clothes in case he is too hot.

Rant: I also hate the fans at the chargers stadium. They are sooo rude to visitors! Hopefully having the baby there will keep them from bugging us and just allow us to enjoy the game in peace!

@kurly
EverydayJoy likes this.

September 25th, 2013, 06:07 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Nancy, my hubby is going to be so jealous that you guys get to go see a Cowboys game! Do you have season tickets? One of my goals is to get him a ticket to see a game at some point in the future - what a cool present!
September 25th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimboardin Mama View Post
Thanks everyone for all the ideas! Ido use that skin deep EWg website for our personal products. I am searching for products at 1 or 0. Where do you buy badger, subs.tance, alba, or adorable baby? I'm also going to look for the Burt's bees that sits on top of their skin.

We took Koa to the beach every weekend this summer but he's not too fair skin. We never had to use sun block because I kept him under an umbrella or covered with a super light nursing cover.

The SPF clothes is a great idea, but we are huge cowboys fans! This is DH's first cowboys game with his son so he wants him to wear his jersey. We do have a cowboys baseball cap though. His jersey covers the majority of his arms I'm taking spare clothes in case he is too hot.

Rant: I also hate the fans at the chargers stadium. They are sooo rude to visitors! Hopefully having the baby there will keep them from bugging us and just allow us to enjoy the game in peace!

@kurly
You can get almost all of those brands at Whole Foods or on Amazon. They are pricey, but worth it.

September 25th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Nancy, my hubby is going to be so jealous that you guys get to go see a Cowboys game! Do you have season tickets? One of my goals is to get him a ticket to see a game at some point in the future - what a cool present!
We don't have season tickets for the cowboys. We live in so cal so are catching a game as a late bday present for me. My mom had given me enough money to almost cover both our tickets

HopefullY we will get to see a game at least once. It's on our bucket lists.

Thanks gals!

September 29th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hahaha I think local fans are ALWAYS rude to out of town fans... Maybe I'm just defensive because I'm from San Diego! (But I hate football and the Chargers are the most consistently disappointing team in the NFL.)

Since you live in CA, Sprouts also carries a lot of those brands. I bought Babytime! by Episencial Sunny Sunscreen. Haven't actually used it yet, but that's what I bought
September 29th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Super Mommy
Well, Wyatt is the Charger fan. I am a Patriot, and the husband is a Seahawk. We are watching the game right now- lookin for you in the crowd!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search