Sick :(

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By LolaBadola
  • 3 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By NewlyMrs

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 24th, 2013, 06:49 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Grady and I have really bad colds. The last couple nights have been brutal. Poor guy has been up at least once an hour. We are so tired in this house! I think he got it from a mommy and me music class we took together Friday. No one was sick in the class but we were touching instruments that I'm sure had been touched recently by sick kids. I actually ended up signing up for a 12 week course but I think I'll get a refund. He's too young to be exposed to that many germs.

Anyone have some remedies for sick little ones?

September 24th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Brock's minion
Brock is pretty sick also, last night I kept him in his bouncy chair and he slept the whole night. It allowed him to breath better and cough less. I'm finding the best thing to do is use saline spray and then bulb out his nose before bottles and bedtime.

Michelle
September 24th, 2013, 12:54 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. There's no medicine to give, unfortunately, but the saline spray and bulb suction may help. I don't have much experience with younger babies and colds. My oldest didn't get his first illness until almost 12 months of age. Here's a home remedy that worked for his cough: Vicks Baby Vapo rub on his feet with socks over them as he slept overnight! Google it. It sounds odd but it worked!
Mrsbowbin likes this.
September 24th, 2013, 01:15 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Poor baby. We just had bad colds go through the household. Kody is still kinda snotty and coughing a little.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
September 24th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
Bring him into the shower with you before bed and close the door. The steam will loosen things up. And yes, the saline/bulb combo. Definitely a humidifier. Vicks on the feet with socks and on the chest. And Vicks also makes these awesome plug-ins that emit vapors to help clear your sinuses. Sleep him upright in a swing or bouncer. Lots of fluids. Other than that, rest! Hope you feel better!
ashj_1218 likes this.

September 24th, 2013, 05:22 PM
I saw these at Babies R Us one time, but didn't need them because Kody wasn't sick...I thought they looked like a great idea!

It's a binkie with Vick's in it...so they breathe it in while they're sucking.
LolaBadola, kurly and rheaimedved like this.

Last edited by EverydayJoy; September 24th, 2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Fixed the picture...had the lavendar one pictured by mistake.
September 24th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Super Mommy
I did two ounces of pedialyte between bottles to flush him out when we had it. I also went in and turned on the shower super hot and let the bathroom get all steamy before I gave him his bath.

Feel better soon, Grady boy!
September 24th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Thanks for all the tips! You are all awesome. Gearing up for another night soon. Wish us luck!

September 24th, 2013, 08:35 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I am sorry he is sick

We do basically all that has been mentioned...especially the hot shower, saline, Vicks plug-ins, and elevating the crib (we stack books under the front legs and it elevates the head in their bed). Sick babies are so heartbreaking
September 25th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
How did your night go? Any better?

September 25th, 2013, 05:32 PM
No it got worse. Took him to the doc and he has croup. There's nothing we can give him except steam and cold air. And lots of snuggles. I'm also doing saline and the bulb +Vicks rub and little remedies pain reliever. I feel so helpless and totally emotional since I'm running on empty. My heart just breaks for him. Keeping a close eye on him and will take him to urgent care/emergency if he starts having difficulty breathing.

Thanks for checking in

September 25th, 2013, 07:33 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Oh man, that's scary. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. I thought there was a steroid medication they could give for croup? But maybe that's for older kids.
September 25th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Oh you poor thing. I hear you on being emotional. When it's your little baby it's so hard to watch them hurting.
NewlyMrs likes this.

September 26th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Brock's minion
Croup sucks!! We are on the downswing of Brock's illness but his cough is louder, just less frequent. I'm up with every snort, sniffle and cough all night as I'm sure you are too. After the trip to the ER I was watching his breathing so closly that I passed out playing with him after close to 48 hours w/o sleep. I still feel sick as a dog too, funny I use to be a big baby when I was ill now forget it....little guy is my only worry.

Michelle
September 26th, 2013, 05:00 PM
I totally hear you, Michelle. I so wish I could be sick for him. I just wonder every second how he's feeling and what he's thinking. It must be so confusing for them.

Kary, they do have steroids but only for severe cases. That's what they would give him if we had to go to emergency. Luckily his seems to be on the more mild side.

September 27th, 2013, 03:15 AM
Veteran
Just wondering how Grady is doing? My LO was also sick and it is so awful! Hope he is feeling better!
September 27th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Aw I'm sorry to hear that! This bug is definitely going around! Hope he's better soon.

Grady is doing so much better! Last night he was back in his own bed and only woke up to eat at 10 PM and 1 AM. Grady's pediatrician is actually a holistic doctor. She prescribes medication of course but tries natural remedies first. On Wednesday she gave him a tiny little herbal supplement that contained calcium. It was smaller than a grain of rice, crazy! She told me he would likely get worse before better. Wednesday was our worst night, up pretty much all night. One night later he was almost good as new. I don't know if it is coincidence but I am quite impressed and so happy we found her.

Today he still has a cough but not nearly as bad. I have my baby back!!
rheaimedved likes this.

September 27th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Veteran
Ah so glad to hear he is better! Hope he has an amazing night!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search