We are in big trouble!

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2013, 02:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So we still haven't moved Lilah, because honestly, she's a horrid sleeper and we are just too tired to deal with walking back and forth to her room every night, all night.

She goes down easy enough, but then she wakes up (and I mean fully wakes up, arms and legs going, her screaming with excitement half the time) throughout the night. She wakes to eat once around 2, and after that she wakes so often and is WIDE awake. DH lies there with his hand on her chest, popping the suckie back in her mouth, etc until she goes back to sleep. We've created a monster. This never happened with my other two girls - by 4 mos they could and would put themselves back to sleep if they woke, AND by then they were both in their cribs.

I am ready to move Lilah, but I'm dreading how bad the nights will be. I don't know how to teach her to put herself back to sleep instead of waking up totally excited and raring to go. Today she would have been up at 4am for the day.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
October 4th, 2013, 06:41 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ugh wish I had some advice. But I really don't think it's your fault in any way. Some kids are just BAD sleepers no matter what you do or what book you read or whose advice you follow or...whatever. They're just destined to sleep horribly. She has really been a trial for you guys on sleep, hasn't she!
Have you tried chamomile tea for when she wakes up? I sweetened some with a little sugar and gave it to Kody one night, before bed and when he woke all the way up in the middle of the night. It didn't seem to help him STAY asleep, which was what I really wanted, but it helped him fall asleep faster when he had woken up. So, FWIW, maybe that could help? I brewed it regular and then gave him about 1/2 oz. But when my son was his same age his pedi recommended 2 oz in a bottle for him. So I might not have given him enough, might try it with more tonight.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
October 4th, 2013, 10:23 AM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
Honestly, I would just bite the bullet (I know, easy for me to say!). But she's getting to the point where her sleep preferences are going to start forming (and becoming more resistant to change) so I think it's a good idea to start teaching her how to fall asleep on her own.

Does she get fussy if you don't put the paci back in right away? It might be time to wean from it altogether, especially if she's waking up because it falls out. Otherwise you are going to burn some SERIOUS calories walking back and forth to the nursery to put it back in .

Claire still falls asleep with a binky in, and I'm trying to get up the nerve to get rid of it...but I think I'll wait till she's 5 months or so.

If she just wakes up and talks/is happy (doesn't get fussy), maybe moving her to the nursery will be a good thing...she can wake up and jabber to herself for a bit until she falls back asleep, while you can sleep through the noise...I feel like if she started seriously fussing/crying, one of you would wake up.

I guess you'll never know unless you try! Good luck girl!
October 4th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
She wakes up and is just wired and crazy, but then starts fussing.....and we have to lie there replacing the paci, shushing, stroking her face, putting our hand on her chest, etc until she calms down and goes back to sleep.

We are moving her to her room tonight, but it's going to suck when she wakes in the night because we'll have to stand there forever.....ugh.

October 4th, 2013, 12:38 PM
May 2013 Cohost
It will suck for a short time, but the long term rewards will be great. Think about that to help you get through! Try it and see. Maybe it will go better than you think.
October 4th, 2013, 03:25 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ugh. See the paci thing I don't think is such a bad thing, because sometime in the next couple of months they'll be learning to grab the paci and put it back in themselves. Then your job is complete!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
October 4th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It might seem mean, but you got to let her sooth her self back to sleep meaning let her cry it out as long as you know she isn't hungry, or need a change then she is fine to CIO. When Chloe wakes, she just wakes and talks to herself and will fall back to sleep in less she is hungry.

October 4th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We're going to move her tomorrow night. Tonight is proving to be AWFUL already. It's an hour past her bedtime and she's up there with DH screaming her head off, will NOT sleep. Her bedtimes are getting later, and her mornings are getting earlier, and she's still not napping well. I can't believe how little sleep she's getting and I really don't know what to do about it. I don't know what we did wrong with her.

October 4th, 2013, 10:07 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Aw, I'm so sorry. She is going through a bad phase. You haven't done anything wrong. I hope this passes soon.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search