Frozen breast milk

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Memi
  • 1 Post By Erin80

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 15th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So I've been freezing milk for Lilah since the beginning of July. I have something like 1800 oz in the freezer - enough for over 2 months. I pump 4 times a day right now and still make too much and am still freezing which is driving me crazy - so I'm going to drop to 3 soon.

Anyway, I gave her a bottle of milk from July today and she had the same reaction she had the last 2 times I tried her with frozen milk - she whined a bit during the bottle and was very reluctant to drink it.....but she did. There is absolutely NO smell to the milk when I thaw it out, and since she doesn't seem to like it, I tasted it today to see......it's lacking the sweet breast milk taste and it taste like the freezer bags smell.....haha. I can't blame her for not loving it. She's used to having fresh milk all the time.

I feel bad giving it to her, but man, I have SO much of it. Should I keep trying? Would you keep trying?? I feel bad that she doesn't like the taste, but maybe once she's used to it she'll be ok with it? It's still MILES better than the taste of formula.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
October 15th, 2013, 11:50 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I'd keep trying it.
October 15th, 2013, 11:53 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would still give it. If she will take it, it's still, like you said, tastes better than formula. And that way you know she is getting your milk and the benefits of it. Go for it!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
October 15th, 2013, 07:52 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
It certainly won't hurt her to drink it. If you don't want to pitch it. Does she react the same to milk frozen for less time? Or is it all of it?

I am having an aha moment. Kieran would never take a bottle as a baby. But I didn't understand why, he took all sorts of pacis. But he refused the bottle and I even had to rush home from an event 2-3 times as we were realizing he just wasn't going to do it. He acted the same way you describe, hungry and fussing but trying to drink...then all out freaking out after a sip or two. We never understood it...but only ever tried with frozen milk. I wonder if that's why he was like that. I wonder what he would have done with fresh milk instead!? Neither here nor there, since we are passed that. But wow...I never thought to taste it.
October 16th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If it's not tasting sour or bad to you I'd keep trying it. Roman doesn't seem to care much if it's fresh or frozen in his bottle but he's had more frozen than fresh so he's likely just use to it if it does taste any differently I suppose?

ETA: If it doesn't work out and she won't ever take to the frozen milk or never goes through your whole stash you can also always donate it. Just a thought, I know a lot of people don't realize they can do that. There are many websites out there for it, FB groups, etc. I even just started donating to one of our best friends whose baby is way underweight and she's had a heck of a time trying to BF.
rheaimedved likes this.

October 16th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd keep trying. If you do decide it's not going to work for you, I'd look into milk donation services! That's a lot of milk, and what a shame it would be to see that thrown out!

October 16th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've donated around 2000 oz via Human Milk for Human Babies on the regional facebook pages. My supply is finally down to about what Misha actually eats (~10 oz excess a day)-- I dropped from pumping 5-6 times a day to 3. I can't wait until that drops to zero.

I'd keep trying to feed her the frozen milk (but, you know, thawed and warmed), and maybe try mixing it with foods. It's definitely better than formula. But if you find she really won't take it, then I'd start donating.
October 16th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I tried another bottle today and she was fine with it.....so I'll keep doing one a day.
rheaimedved likes this.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
October 16th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
Owen was having a similar reaction when I first started giving him frozen milk. I've read that sometimes when you freeze it, the lipids can break down and cause a slightly soapy taste. It may just not taste as good as the fresh stuff! He got used to it, so hopefully Lilah will too. I just always make sure to have DH warm it well enough. Owen hates when it's cool or cold.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search