weaning to the bottle

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 3 Post By NewlyMrs
  • 2 Post By Counting our Blessings
  • 1 Post By Erin80
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
After reading Joy's post, I saw quite a few ladies were attempting to get babe to take a bottle. I was just curious as to why, especially since breastfeeding is so easy now (at the 6 month mark)?

I was hoping to wean my little one to a bottle, and she's not having any of it. I can't stand to know she's hungry, and won't take a bottle, I feel like I'm withholding her food I've only tried a few times, and gave up after a few hours, I just couldn't do it.

The reason for me, is we were hoping to have another baby, and since I'm 39, time isn't really on my side Anyone else have any tips? Or do you just wait it out, it really is only another 6-7 months or so. That is what we decided to do. Just curious.

October 16th, 2013, 12:47 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I think if she took a bottle at bedtime I would know exactly how much she is getting and would be able to gauge whether I can let her cry it out in the middle of the night when she wakes up. She should not be waking every 2-3 hrs to eat at this stage, yet she is. So either she's not getting enough from me or it's habit. I want to break it bc I am exhausted! I feel like a bottle might help. And then my hubby can help feed.
LabLover13 likes this.
October 16th, 2013, 04:16 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Reason I wanted to bottle feed was because my son has reflux, and I have heard that it can be caused by allergies. I can't bring myself to do a TED (total elimination diet)---I did a very restricted diet with my firstborn and it didn't help him. But if I could get Kody to take the bottle, then I could give him a hypoallergenic formula, and then get a good idea of whether there is anything that's bothering his tummy. With Ethan, the older one, we weaned him at 8 months and that was the beginning of him getting much better on the reflux front. Sleep didn't improve until a year later though.
The other reason I wanted to try to wean to a bottle is because of depression. If I had Kody on a bottle, I wouldn't have to worry about any medications that I might need to take getting into his system, and I could get the depression better under control. I feel like it hasn't been under control since before I got pregnant. I swear the day I conceived my mood went haywire. And during pregnancy, my doctor was so conservative I felt like all that mattered was the baby, I didn't matter. So I suffered with it but I'm tired of that.

If those two things were not a problem, I would definitely keep nursing! I was really hoping with this baby I could just nurse him till he was ready to wean. I wished I could do that with Ethan and I felt sad I had to wean him. I wanted to have it the way it is supposed to be.
LabLover13 likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
October 16th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Counting Our Blessings, I envy you in a way, you have 10 kids and still want more. I have two and feel overwhelmed. I wanted three kids, but I feel like I have everything against me. Medical issues--I have kidney problems that I can (and have) pass down to my children if I have more, the mental health issues, and financial instability right now that would prevent it as well. I don't know how you do 10 of them, but I admire you. I wish I was built for mothering better. My heart is in it, but everything else is against me!
rheaimedved likes this.

October 16th, 2013, 04:49 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Joy, you are a strong woman and I admire your courage.

It's funny how babies want what they want. Opinionated little things! I started giving breast milk in a bottle at 3 weeks and he never had any issues. Fast forward to a couple months ago and he decided he only wanted the bottle . So I began exclusively pumping but my supply has suffered. I keep deciding I'm going to stop pumping and only do formula but every time I just can't bring myself to stop, even though I'm not pumping that much. I had such high hopes of nursing a year + but I have to remind myself all that matters is he's happy and thriving-and boy is he! I don't regret giving him the bottle though. I have to work part time and its also essential that my husband and I squeeze in the occasional date night or time with friends. Motherhood has taught me to go with the flow and to sometimes set aside expectations.
EverydayJoy, kary4 and LabLover13 like this.

October 16th, 2013, 06:31 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I like that attitude, Melissa! I need to learn from it!

Joy, I'm overwhelmed too. I thought I wanted 3 too, but I don't think I could deal.
October 16th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Sweet_Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
Hey ladies! Its been awhile but just wanted to chime in, what I have heard is to feed them breast milk on the bottle and slowly add a bit of formula each time so they get used to the taste and wean the pumping. hope it helps!! Good luck!

Kelsey Wife to Chris with 3 little gremlins and one on the way!!!
Jacob 08/09
Jesse 01/11
Johnny 04/13
Jaxon 07/14

"In MY world of PINK I am surrounded by BLUE!"

October 16th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Hey Kelsey! Thanks for the advice. I did try that already. I even did breastmilk and sugar water, to sweeten the deal...no go!

October 17th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies for the tips and just experience.

Joy, you made me teary. I feel so blessed to have the 10 we do. It gets harder the older I get to have them, enjoy the pregnancy, and deal with thyroid disease. Your boys sound so blessed to call you Mama, don't ever forget that!

I want to add more, but they know when Mama takes a minute. I'll try and get back to finish that thought.
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.

October 17th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
On the topic of 3 kids........I just have to chime in! I personally found the transition from 0-1 the hardest for SURE. 2-3 was a breeze since baby #2 was super easy. 2-3 was rough in the beginning because Lilah was a fussy baby, but now, at almost 5 months....besides the not sleeping much at night, it has gotten MUCH easier and I see a light at the end of the tunnel! I think that once you're through the baby phase, having 3 isn't so tough. My DH is very supportive though, so that helps immensely.

Melissa - I didn't know you were EP'ing.....not sure how I missed that!
ashj_1218 likes this.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
October 17th, 2013, 08:52 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Just lurking on the thread...but I agree Erin. 0-1 was awful for me. Then 1-2 was so much better, but still with it's challenges. And 2-3 was a breeze because she was easy (but getting harder! Lol). I told hubby that if 3 was like our oldest, we were done.done.done. And if she was like the second, maybe we were done. But now I am sure we will have a fourth (and I even entertain the idea of a fifth ) But that first transition was brutal for me too.
October 17th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Erin, how was the 1-2 transition? I have found it a lot more difficult than I expected. People always tell you, "Oh it will be easy for the second one, you already know what to do so it's a cinch!" Meanwhile, I have my second reflux baby in a row and it's kicking my ***. I also read that if you have one reflux baby, it's likely that all the rest will be refluxy too...I can't take that chance. I would lose what little sanity I have left. Anwho! I'm glad it worked out for you.

After reading your post Ashlee, I think we can all take away from this that your willingness to have more children is directly related to how difficult your previous ones were!
ashj_1218 likes this.

October 17th, 2013, 08:56 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Joy...I had two reflux babies...and a current "happy spitter." No issues with her at all. So you aren't doomed. Mine worked on a sliding scale. Two wasn't a "breeze" because he had his challenges. But I found 0-1 to be at least twice as hard. Even with a reflux baby for #2. Jo is so easy, sometimes I worry that I am deluding myself about being able to handle another Liam or Kieran. I think I could do a Kieran. But another Liam might kill me!

Absolutely Joy!! I would be snipped and done if Jo was like Liam. Haha.
October 17th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Ashlee, how was your second (can't remember which is which) compared to your first? I feel like Kody is pretty much the same as Ethan, plus he has failed all reflux meds except this last one to try (Nexium). I'd be afraid the third would be worse than the first two.
Plus Kody has the kidney issue, and will likely have to have surgery for an undecended testicle...

October 17th, 2013, 10:19 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Joy, one way to think of it is could it be any worse than it already is?! I just know that when I see families with 3 kids, I can see us having 3 too. I feel like I'm not done yet. Even though I said I was! I want one of my kids to have a same sex sibling.

I have decided to see how I feel in a year. A lot can change between now and then.
October 18th, 2013, 03:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
2-3 was SUPER easy for me, simply because Julianna slept, didn't have reflux (Lexy did) and was very very laid back. She'd happily sit in the bouncy seat, or wherever I put her, and just look around. She didn't fuss much. At night she'd wake for a bottle only once, then go right back to sleep. She was EASY. That's why 2-3 was easy for me. 0-1 was hard because I didn't know how to be a mother, I was still trying to be selfish, Lexy was a fussy, needy, ornery baby with reflux who never slept. Lilah has been more like Lexy was for sure. Even if she was how Julianna was, we still wouldn't have another.....I always wanted 3, I have 3 and I'm done!

October 18th, 2013, 08:17 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Erin, did you mean 1-2 was super easy?
October 18th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes! Sorry.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search