Lilah's sick :(

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess that could explain the good night, and the reason she didn't finish many bottles yesterday. She woke up this morning with the virus my oldest daughter brought home from school a week ago (have I mentioned lately how much I HATE school germs??!!!). She's got a hoarse cough, a fever, and I'm assuming probably body aches. She cries every time she coughs - my oldest had a super sore throat and said it really hurt every time she coughed too, so I'm thinking her throat is sore too.

She can barely stay awake today. I gave her Tylenol to bring her fever down. Despite being super sick, she's still happy as long as she's not coughing.

Any ideas on what I can do to make her feel better? Seems like a weird question to ask since I have 3 kids, lol, but maybe someone knows a trick I haven't tried yet. Should I do a humidifier in her room? I just want to cuddle her ALL day long, but I can't because I have my 2 other girls (who are healthy....) to look after too. Poor baby. I feel AWFUL for her, it's sooooooo sad when a baby is sick.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
October 19th, 2013, 11:23 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aw poor little lady! What about a heating pad on low for body aches?

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
October 19th, 2013, 12:31 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Baby Vicks Vapo rub on her feet and then socks over it helps a cough at night.
MichelleLynn likes this.
October 19th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks. Thankfully the Tylenol broke her fever, but she's thrown up twice now too....I think from the fever because both times she threw up, she had a fever. It's awful. I feel so helpless.

October 19th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Brock's minion
Please be very careful with the Vicks, I used the baby one on Brock when he was sick and he had such a hard time breathing he was at the doc within 30 minutes...it was terrible.

Michelle
October 20th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have Baby Vicks, but I haven't used any on her. Anyway, I've been up all night - literally. It's 4:45am and I'm pumping now, but I've been up alllll night long with her. She's been gagging/heaving all night - she's sleeping in the bassinet next to my bed. She doesn't have a tummy bug, but her cough/sore throat are making her gag, so she'll wake up gagging, or she'll cough and then gag, and then cry. At 1am I finally got some Tylenol into her, and she slept MUCH better after her fever broke - no more gagging, and just a little coughing. She finally wanted to eat at 4:20am, so I put Advil in that bottle and she drank the whole thing. She won't go back to sleep though now.
I'm so glad it's Sunday and he's home. He got more sleep than me for sure, so my plan is to sleep after I'm done pumping here. Once he's up with the baby for the day, I'll definitley be able to sleep. I am SO TIRED. I feel awful for her though. She had a fever of 101 in the night. Doesn't help that I'm getting it too - I have a super sore throat and an off stomach....no appetite.

October 20th, 2013, 02:03 AM
Oh no. That sucks!!! I'm sorry.

October 20th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It was an all nighter - not one wink of sleep for me. She was gagging and throwing up/wretching ALL night long because of her sore throat and cough. It was AWFUL. I had to put her back in the bassinet so she was level with me because as soon as she'd start gagging I had to roll her onto her side. It. was. awful. We were up at 1am trying to get her to take Tylenol because she was burning up with a fever. We got enough into her because her fever broke, her gagging almost stopped and she slept restlessly. Then at 4:15am she was hungry, so I put advil in that bottle. It took an hour to get her back to sleep after that. Then she was up at 7:30am - hungry again, so we put Tylenol in the bottle. I just keep alternating to keep her fever away, because once her fever comes back, she starts throwing up/gagging again. It's horrible. She has this hoarse sounding little cry, and is sooooo tired. I'm exhausted.

October 20th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Veteran
I would definitely do a cool mist humidifier, I even bring mine out in the living room when they are awake. Also run the shower with super hot water and sit in the bathroom with her so she can breathe in the steam a couple times a day, it will help break up that mucous. Also if you have a rock 'n play try putting her to sleep in it so her head is elevated, that will help some with the drainage and coughing at night. Do you have a suction bulb and saline so you can clear her nose out periodically during the day?

Please don't put her on a heating pad, she can overheat very quickly, even on the lowest setting.

October 20th, 2013, 01:28 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Oh I'm so sorry - how awful. I'm sorry she is so sick. I hope it clears quickly.
October 21st, 2013, 05:50 AM
Poor thing! You must be exhausted beyond words.

October 21st, 2013, 08:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I got 30 min of sleep last night - so I've slept 30 min in 48 hrs. I am so tired today that I'm shaking and can't think straight. DH stayed home because I desperately need to rest. Lilah was up until 2am last night, throwing up because of the mucous, and just crying. She kept puking up mucous, or she'd throw up entire bottles if she'd just eaten. I have done SO MUCH LAUNDRY, and my dryer is broken, so we have to hang everything to dry. I bought Hydrasense spray for babies today, so I'm hoping that might give her some relief. She had to sleep propped up on pillows beside me in bed last night, and DH had to sleep in the basement. She slept from 2-5:30, but I laid awake and listened to her breathe.
Yuck, this is awful. Geez.

October 21st, 2013, 09:20 AM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
How awful. I would not be functioning well on such little sleep. I hope you're able to get some rest today and you both feel better soon.

October 21st, 2013, 09:36 AM
Super Mommy
Maybe you should take her in?
October 21st, 2013, 10:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
She's ok....it's the mucous making her throw up, I know that. I also know that babies tend to get things worse than us because their immune systems are so immature. If she were wheezing when she breathes, or spiking high fevers, I'd take her in....but after 3 kids, you kind of learn when to see the dr (we went in for EVERYTHING with Lexy!). I know it's just a bad cold, but it's soooooo hard. She's been better today. She threw up this morning a couple times, but hasn't since then, and I think she's sounding a little less congested, so hopefully this is on its way out.

October 21st, 2013, 05:49 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry to hear it has been so rough . Most helpless feeling ever caring for a sick baby. Get well soon Lilah!

October 21st, 2013, 08:57 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Erin, are you concerned about dehydration at all since she's throwing up so much?
October 21st, 2013, 10:40 PM
Veteran
Oh Erin, I'm so sorry, I bet everybody in your house is a little bit miserable right now! Hopefully she turns a corner in the next day or two and everyone can rest! Did you try a humidifier?

October 22nd, 2013, 02:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Kary - I've been keeping an eye on that - she's still having lots of wet diapers. When she throws up, it's not always whole bottles. Sometimes it's just heaving.

Anyway, last night was FINALLY better.......way way better. She slept in her bassinet, we put towels under the bassinet pad to raise it up so she wasn't lying flat. We got her down for the night around 10 I think, she woke at 2am for a bottle which she only ate maybe half of, then she went right back to sleep and is still sleeping now at 6am. She only coughed a few times, and didn't gag and throw up at all last night. I think the worst is over and she's getting better.

Kary - I've been keeping an eye on that - she's still having lots of wet diapers. When she throws up, it's not always whole bottles. Sometimes it's just heaving.

Anyway, last night was FINALLY better.......way way better. She slept in her bassinet, we put towels under the bassinet pad to raise it up so she wasn't lying flat. We got her down for the night around 10 I think, she woke at 2am for a bottle which she only ate maybe half of, then she went right back to sleep and is still sleeping now at 6am. She only coughed a few times, and didn't gag and throw up at all last night. I think the worst is over and she's getting better.

October 22nd, 2013, 11:43 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Good to hear!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search