Pumping for the first time!

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By Erin80

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2013, 11:05 PM
May 2013 Cohost
So I finally got around to opening my pump which was free through my insurance! I was pleasantly surprised to see it was a Medela Pump in Style Advanced, the backpack version. I would have preferred the tote bag, but oh well, it was free! It also came with everything to get started - the tubing, the breast pump flanges, parts, etc, and 4 storage bottles, and cool pack. I washed and boiled all the parts tonight and I am finally ready to pump! I am going to start tomorrow morning while Lexi takes her morning nap. For whatever reason, I have had a mental block to pumping until now. I think it was due to the horrible time I had with my first - I was a breastfeeding Nazi. I was breastfeeding plus pumping constantly and I got burned out. I also feel like I just don't have the time now with an active 3 year old. I'm only doing this now because I am taking my son to Disney on Ice this weekend and have to leave Lexi for a few hours and she does not seem to like formula nor been able to take to a bottle. I am going to practice with the bottle tomorrow - I'm taking my son to a doctor's appointment and Lexi will be going with us. So hopefully she will take to it since it will now have Momma's milk! Wish me luck!
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.
October 23rd, 2013, 03:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Good luck! I hate pumping.
rheaimedved likes this.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
October 23rd, 2013, 07:25 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck. I hate it too but kudos for being able to hold out so long!

October 23rd, 2013, 08:07 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck with it all! I hope Lexi will take the bottle from you. I have heard sometimes if they refuse from Mom they will take it from someone else. So feel free to recruit your husband!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
October 23rd, 2013, 02:45 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I was able to pump 2 oz from one breast before we had to leave the house this morning. I picked my son up from preschool and then we headed straight to the drs office. We got in the exam room but the dr was running really late - we waited for 30 minutes! My son was awful, but that's another long story! Lexi started to get fussy. I knew it was her nap time and she likes a little snack prior to it. So I tried the bottle! She took to it! She drank almost an ounce and a half before becoming disinterested! That's progress! When we got home I tried to give her the rest but she wasn't having it, so I went back to the breast. I think she'll be ok for the short time I have to leave her on Saturday. I'm going to feed her right before I go anyway.

The pump isn't nearly as good as the hospital grade one I had with my son (I rented that for a year) - if I was pumping full time I would definitely go back to renting. But good enough for occasional use. I will not be pumping regularly, I can tell you that! Way more work!!! My hat is off to you exclusive pumpers!

Oh, it's been a week since I started sleep training and I am seeing results already!! Last night Lexi only woke once to eat - at 3:30 am! She then slept till 8 am, but woke up happy. I let her go a while and she ended up going back to sleep until 9:45 am!
October 23rd, 2013, 02:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Awesome to both her taking the bottle AND to her sleeping.

As for EP'ing, it's all I know, so it doesn't seem like that much work. I've never successfully breast fed, and to me breastfeeding seems like a lot of work because the mama is the only one who can do the feeding. I like that DH can help me, or anyone else that might be around! I also like knowing how much she's getting. I'm jealous of anyone who has an easy time BFing because it has always been soooo hard for me.

October 23rd, 2013, 03:18 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I'm thinking breastfeeding plus pumping is actually the hardest. At least with exclusive pumping, like you said, DH can help. But the cleaning of the bottles and parts constantly would be my downfall!!
October 23rd, 2013, 07:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yup, that part does suck, but I'm so used to it! I have a good system

October 24th, 2013, 08:44 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad she took to it! Yes the cleaning of the pump parts is the worst for me too!

October 24th, 2013, 12:44 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Do you boil them after every use?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search