So sad and scared :( Update post 18

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2013, 01:49 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Jo is really sick.

On Tuesday night I took her to the walk-in clinic because she had a slight fever and had been "off" for a couple days. We were out of town all weekend and she was up late, in the car a lot, etc, so on Monday I brushed it off. But when I tried to take an ear temp on Tuesday afternoon, she screamed bloody murder and I thought "this is an ear infection." The walk-in place said her ear was really pink and budging and they wanted an antibiotic to head it off at the pass. I was fine with that, my kids don't classically have good luck with the "wait and see" approach (not for lack of trying).

So Tuesday night sucked (duh) and then yesterday she was really feverish all day. Like 102-103 almost constantly even with tylonel and Motrin alternating every 4 hours (per my doc). But then she stopped wanting to nurse, wouldn't lay her face on the left side (infected side), and would scream a lot. This started around 7-8pm. I thought maybe she didn't have enough meds in her to work yet.

All night she was restless, feverish, wouldn't nurse, wouldn't lay on her left or let me touch anywhere on her head on that side. It also turned a bit red on that side of her face. We got up at 5 and called the doc as soon as they opened at 8. We were in the office all morning. The doc is pretty concerned. She drew blood, urine (that was awful), ear and throat swabs, and gave her two super-strong antibiotic shots. Her other ear is looking rough now too, although she couldnt see the infected one because Jo would howl and it also started oozing at one point overnight so it was all crusted over.

She did send us home at 12:30 with instructions for meds, resting, and checking back in every 4 hours. We go back in in the morning, they are hoping the labs are back. She said its just abnormal to go from "developing an ear infection" to a full blown systemic reaction in less than 48 hours. She said it would actually be good news if her urine showed an infection or her ear showed a bacteria because otherwise it could mean she could have immune problems or is an infection risk (aka: autoimmune disorder testing). She was super concerned with how listless she was this morning, given she hadn't been sick that long.

So any spare thoughts or prayers would be great. I was a basket case this morning with them ordering all these tests. And she was just pathetic. She is sleeping on me right now. We have ear drops to give her and she gets more shots tomorrow. I just never thought a simple ear infection could be so scary! I just want her to be okay

Last edited by ashj_1218; October 25th, 2013 at 08:50 AM.
October 24th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
That's awful! I can't even imagine how upset you must be. It sounds like she's in good hands, though, and that you're doing all you can do to get her better. Definitely sending prayers your way. Please keep us posted. xo

October 24th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh man, that is scary. I'll be thinking of you guys, hoping everything is just fine with your princess. Hang in there.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
October 24th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Super Mommy
Oh no!!! Poor baby Jo! That's awful, I can't imagine feeling what you are. And it makes me so sad she is in pain praying for quick results and a treatment plan to knock this out quickly!
October 24th, 2013, 02:47 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry you are all going through this. I can relate to the collecting urine part being awful--I imagine they had to catheterize her? Kody has had to have that done twice and it was awful. I hope the infection responds to the shots and she gets back to herself very soon. Hugs!! KUP!!
PS---if your mommy instincts tell you that she is getting worse and needs to be seen ASAP at the hospital, don't doubt yourself. Trust your gut and take care of that little girl.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
October 24th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh im so sorry sweetie! I hope she hets better soon. But if not ditto to what Joy said. Listen to your instincts tonight and tomorrow!

October 24th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Veteran
Keeping you in my thoughts!
October 24th, 2013, 05:10 PM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
Hugs and prayers! That is seriously scary. Your poor sweet baby. Please keep us posted, I'll be thinking about you guys!
October 24th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hope she gets better quickly u must be exhausted x

October 24th, 2013, 06:09 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I'm so, so sorry hon. My heart is hurting for you. I hope this gets under control fast. Is Jo getting dehydrated? Are you doing Pedialyte? Poor baby Jo. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Let's hope this is just a nasty ear infection that will pass soon.
October 24th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
Poor baby. It must be so hard to see her like that. I'll be thinking about you guys. I hope she gets better soon.

October 24th, 2013, 06:17 PM
May 2013 Cohost
For what it's worth, my son had terrible ear infections this past year. He's older, so I imagine it's different, but he was the worst I had ever seen him right when Lexi was born. He had a double ear infection and both his ears were also bulging with pus. He must have been in excruciating pain (as I imagine Jo is) bc he was the same way - listless, not eating, feverish...and then was combative and like a lunatic when we tried to give him meds. This was going on simultaneously when Lexi came home from the hospital. I never imagined an ear infection could result in this kind of behavior. Perhaps Jo is the same way - it's just a horrible ear infection. Maybe she had it earlier and you just didn't know? The fact that her ears were already bulging at the walk in clinic makes me think this was brewing for a couple of days already. The antibiotics do take a few days to kick in. The shots are definitely fast acing, so hopefully you will see some relief soon. Also, the numbing ear drops should help with the pain instantaneously. I imagine that's why she doesn't want to nurse. Praying for baby Jo. Please keep us updated!
October 24th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Veteran
Praying for your baby girl Ash! I hope it's just an ear infection and the meds start acting quickly! It's awful to see your baby hurting, you just want to take that pain for them!

October 24th, 2013, 09:33 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so so sorry to hear this. My heart was in my tummy reading that. I hope everything gets sorted out and it isn't a bigger issue. Hugs and prayers to you. She is a lucky girl to have you taking care of her. Keep us posted. We love you baby Jo!!

October 24th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh no! I can't even imagine what this would be like! I'm so sorry! I hope she (and you) feel better soon!

October 25th, 2013, 03:38 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry! I can't even imagine how you must be feeling right now. I hope little Jo gets to feeling better soon. And just a side note, they don't have to cath as their first option to get urine. They make urine bags for babies and toddlers. It's just something that you place over the genital area and put their diaper back on and when they pee it goes to the bag and then poured to the cup and sent to lab. Nothing as traumatic S the internal catheter.
October 25th, 2013, 07:21 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Misty, they always tell me that the bag way is never accurate--that to know for sure they have to cath them. I guess germs from the diaper area can contaminate the urine and give false readings? Annoying!

Ashlee, just wondering how your baby girl is doing! I hope she's starting to feel better.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
October 25th, 2013, 08:47 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Much shorter...and happier...visit this morning! Jo is improving. The antibiotic shots are doing their job. She got another set, this time a little less strong. They will work in her system for another 24 hours. Then we move on to oral antibiotics. Plus she continues her antibiotic ear drops.

Her labs came back good. No UTI (**** cath was for nothing! I wish I had asked about the bag!). Her throat is clear. Her ear came back as a strep infection and we are wondering if she caught Strep C, which we were exposed to a few weeks back. But we won't really know unless we run another test and the treatment is what we are already doing, so it doesn't much matter either way. Her blood work shows that her blood cells are doing just what they are supposed to in order to fight the infection. Nothing came up that was worrisome or out of the ordinary. So a great report all around.

They are pleased with how her demeanor was today too. She was smiling and talking and putting up a fuss when they were messing with her. Which was not the case yesterday. She had a pretty decent night, we kept up with the Tylonel and Motrin and her fever seems under control now (only comes back toward the new dose and the doc is hopeful that this second round of antibiotics is going to help her system stop fighting so hard).

She said we won't do further testing unless we have another occurence of an infection like this one. Chances are that it is related to the Strep C. And like Kary mentioned, she may have had an asymptomatic infection for a few days before we found it. So they will check in with me this afternoon and she put our favorite nurse on call for us on the weekend, if I need them. And, of course, if anything happens I can take her to the ER.

I don't want to ever do that again. It gives me a whole new respect for mamas with sick babies or babies who need hospitalization. It's awful. And pretty terrifying how quickly things can happen.

Thanks a million for all the good thoughts and prayers. I am quite sure they helped me cope, if nothing else! I need a really long nap!
October 25th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you God! Glad she is on the mend. How scary.

October 25th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Brock's minion
So glad Jo is on the mend, how heartbreaking that had to be for you. Continued thoughts and prayers for you both.

Michelle

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search