Sleep training

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By kit.kat.81
  • 2 Post By kurly
  • 1 Post By Erin80
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 28th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Who's doing it? What are you doing?

I need ideas. I can't keep doing what I'm doing with Lilah. It was going well until she got sick, and now she's been in our room for a week because she was so sick. She's better now, so tonight she's going back into her room. She's waking up CONSTANTLY all night long, she wants a bottle every time, but then she's gagging and almost throwing up because she's so overfull. It's ridiculous. Last night I was up every hour with her. She wakes up and starts crying almost right away and just wants up and to play. It's like she has no circadian rhythm.

She also then barely naps all day. She's constantly tired - cranky all the time, rubbing her eyes, but will NOT sleep. If I lay her in her bed, she just screams.

I don't know what to do, I'm wondering what everyone else is doing. I have no idea what I keep doing wrong that I end up with babies who don't sleep.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
October 28th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm clueless but exhausted too. Roman wakes like 5 times a night. All he wants to fo is nurse to fall back to sleep. I've been giving into him and letting him sleep in our bed in the past but just this week I'm tired of it and have started putting him in his room and trying to just keep in his crib for now but even that's hard as tired as I am its so much easier to let him sleep in bed with me I'm starting with just trying to keep him in his crib and from there I guess we'll try to let him fuss a bit but its not easy. I've created this monster.

October 28th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Super Mommy
CIO. Seriously. At this age- it's not mean- it's teaching them that nighttime is for sleep. Don't feed when she wakes. She's not hungry, she just thinks she's supposed to eat because that's what she always got when she's awoken in the past. Instead, give her a binky- without saying a word or picking her up- and walk out. Let her cry for 5 minutes, go back in and repeat. Increase the time by a minute each time. It'll be a rough few nights, but she will learn.

Tough love, but we are the parents. It's our job.

you can do it!
October 28th, 2013, 12:34 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Kurly, I've been doing that for almost 2 weeks and it still isn't working! She's still waking 4 times a night. I've been doing 5-15 min intervals. Last night she went down at 6:30 pm. She woke at 9:30 pm and we did cry it out for about 15 min until she went back to sleep. Then she was back up at 11:30 pm. Since it had been 5.5 hrs since I last fed her, I went ahead and fed her. Then she went back down until 4:30 am. I did cry it out for 45 min until she conked out finally at 5:15 am. Then she woke an hour later and I fed her. Then she went back to sleep until almost 11 am!

Breastmilk digests a lot quicker than formula, so technically 5 hrs is a full night for them. Plus, there are growth spurts where they do need to nurse more at night to boost mom's supply. I'm not sure cry it out for 12 hrs would work with a breastfed baby. I have no doubt if she were on formula she would go much longer stretches.
October 28th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lilah's only doing 3-4 hr stretches at this point.......she's gone from sleeping from 7pm - 2am, to 7pm - 11pm, then up again at 3am, then up at 6am. Those are feedings, she's up even more just awake. She's been tired all day today, but won't nap longer than 40 min intervals. Wakes up rubbing her eyes and yawning, but flat out refuses to go back to sleep. I have 2 other kids to tend to, so I can't stand up in the nursery all day trying to get Lilah to sleep.

October 28th, 2013, 12:54 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If I had any great ideas, I would post them! Just wanted to say that you're not alone. Kody right now is waking almost every hour. My coping method is just to go to bed as early as I can. If I can get 10 hours of broken sleep, I can deal.
Both my kids were horrible sleepers, so I'm with you, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong---I think I just make poorly-sleeping kids.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
October 28th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So she's been napping in her crib all day - all naps have been 40 min. To get her to sleep I have to let her fuss for maybe 1-2 min, then go in and pop the soother in her mouth, and she goes right to sleep with the soother. Is that a bad idea? Should I just let her fuss without the soother altogether? I think if I did that, she'd scream and scream because I think the soother is the only way she knows to soothe herself. I'm not sure I could do CIO, I didn't with my other two - I think I tried it once with my oldest and she just cried endlessly and I felt like we were getting nowhere and we were both getting stressed out. I've never had a baby who cried themselves to sleep, mine just get totally worked up until I have to go calm them.

October 28th, 2013, 05:43 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I don't know what to do. The paci was the worst decision I ever made - every time it falls out she wakes up and I have to go running in there to give it back to her. She now wakes up every 3 hrs at night and I think it's because the darn thing has fallen out. She cannot get to sleep without it. Ugh.
October 28th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
^ Same with us. It sucks!

October 28th, 2013, 07:25 PM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
*lurking from the June 2013 Playroom*

Have you heard of the Pantley Pull Off method? It's for weaning babies off oral associations with sleep (breastfeeding, pacis, etc)

"When your baby wakes, go ahead and pop his pacifier or his bottle in his mouth, or nurse him. But, instead of leaving him there and going back to bed, or letting him fall asleep at the breast, let him suck for a few minutes until his sucking slows and he is relaxed and sleepy. Then break the seal with your finger and gently remove the pacifier or nipple.

Often, especially at first, your baby then will startle and root for the nipple. Try to very gently hold his mouth closed with your finger under his chin, or apply pressure to his chin, just under his lip, at the same time rocking or swaying with him. If he struggles against this and fusses or roots for you or his bottle or pacifier, go ahead and replace the nipple, but repeat the removal process as often as necessary until he falls asleep.

How long between removals? Every baby is different, but about ten to sixty seconds between removals usually works. You also should watch your baby's sucking action. If a baby is sucking strongly or swallowing regularly when feeding, wait a few minutes until he slows his pace. Usually, after the initial burst of activity, your baby will slow to a more relaxed, fluttery pace; this is a good time to begin your removal attempts.

It may take two to five (or even more) attempts, but eventually your baby will fall asleep without the pacifier or nipple in her mouth. When she has done this a number of times over a period of days, you will notice the removals are much easier, and her awakenings are less frequent."
LolaBadola likes this.

October 29th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm well last night I attempted to not feed her at 4:45am because I didn't think she'd be hungry. I was SO TIRED that my efforts lasted all of 2 min before I gave in and gave her a bottle. So last night she slept from 7pm - 9pm, woke and just needed her soother....went right back to sleep, then woke at midnight for a feeding and downed it. Right back to sleep until 4:45, another feeding...downed that one too....slept until 7:30. It's not like she's waking a bazillion times a night for her soother (just once), and she does seem hungry for the most part - she really downs her bottles quickly.
Also, for naps, I've been just laying her in her bed awake. She fusses for a bit, I go in and give her her soother, and she goes right to sleep. She only sleeps for 40 min or so, which sucks, but she does put herself to sleep........

I guess she's not doing THAT bad for sleeping. I did a bit of research when I was up pumping this morning at 5:30am, and lots of 5 month old babies still eat twice in the night, and lots of babies are up WAY more often then Lilah.

October 29th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
I'm right there with you, Ladies. I did the Sleep Easy Solution:

The Sleepeasy Solution: The Exhausted Parent's Guide to Getting Your Child to Sleep from Birth to Age 5: Jennifer Waldburger, Jill Spivack: 9780757305603: Amazon.com: Books

But now will have to start all over again because Owen has an awful cold and it's been waking up all of us. I'm so exhausted I don't even know what it feels like to be rested anymore. I just keep going...

October 29th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think she is doing pretty darn good! Please remember these babes are still little and need to eat. I don't make the best sleepers either, and it's hard. By 2, our kids don't nap and maintain a 7 am-930pm schedule. Its just what we do. As for our 6 month old, she naps twice a day.....20 minutes each. That's it. She sleeps overnight from about 10pm-7am and wakes up to nurse 3-4 times. I thought she was doing good.
As far as CIO, make sure you do some research on the longer term affect of it. I'm not judging anyone who does it, I'm just saying do your homework.

October 29th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I can't do CIO, like I said...I tried it once with my oldest and all it did was stress us both out.

October 29th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Super Mommy
I didn't mind doing CIO. My baby has been sleeping 12 hours straight a night since I did it. And that was at about 3-4 months. He is a very happy and well loved baby. It's what worked for us.

I understand it's not for some parents because they can't emotionally stand to hear their children screaming. My suggestion of it was for Erin to maybe try something new if what she was doing wasn't working. If she doesn't want to- no problem!

That being said- I don't think I have emotionally damaged my child by using CIO and he is now doomed to suffer long term effects from it. I have a parenting style that is a little different then the "norm" these days- taking it back old school. Dare I say- I believe in Spanking!!! Lol, but that's probably for a whole new thread.
EverydayJoy and kary4 like this.
October 29th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not against CIO, if it works for some then that's great! I have plenty of friends who have done it successfully. I can't handle hearing my kid scream and get that worked up, so I can't do that method. I don't pick Lilah up in the night when she wakes, other than to feed her, and some would probably consider that wrong too! Each to their own, it's what makes the world go 'round!
kurly likes this.

October 29th, 2013, 02:36 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Yeah, I don't think there are long term effects from cry it out. I can only do it in small doses myself, though.

Erin, I think our girls are on the same schedule almost! Last night Lexi went down at 7:30 pm. She woke up at 11 pm and took 15-20 min to get back to sleep with the paci. Then she woke up at 1 am. I fed her and then she went back down until 5:15 am. Normally I would do cry it out but I didn't feel like dealing with it and I knew she'd be up in an hour anyway to feed again. So I fed her at 5:15 and then she went back down until 9:30 am!!
kurly likes this.

Last edited by kary4; October 29th, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
October 29th, 2013, 06:56 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to hijack a little and say, Kurly, I believe in spanking, too!
kurly likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
October 29th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was spanked and I'm totally fine - not scarred at all and love my parents to death. My DH spanks our girls if they've done something really wrong.......but I've never spanked them. Can't bring myself to do it for some reason!

Lilah went to bed tonight at 7:15pm, and just now at 9pm she woke up WIDE awake. DH and I didn't even know what to do! I am pumping so he had to go deal with her....... he just kept giving her the soother, she was crying and freaking out because she wanted to get up (because she's CRAZY and doesn't need to sleep at night!) but he was insistent....and it seems she went back to sleep. I hope this isn't a long night. Ugh.

October 29th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Super Mommy
Found this article online. has some ideas to try.

Baby Won't Sleep

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search