Clogged duct vs Mastitis

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 3 Post By misty3281

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2013, 06:21 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I thought I was clear of the risk, yet here I am, red streaks, pain, warm, and forcing my child to suck like she's never sucked before. How do you tell the difference? Honestly I dont even feel a knot anywhere so I'm just massaging where it hurts. I can only imagine the new bra I've been wearing is the culprit, but it really doesnt feel tight and the problem area is on top, not bottom where it would be compressed.
November 21st, 2013, 06:49 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
At this point, those symptoms could be either. But if you get achy, a fever, and chills...mastitis. Generally clogged ducts that don't come unclogged become mastitis. Someone told me (maybe on here) to nurse in a new position to unplug the clog (like football hold if you usually cradle, side-lie if you typically football hold). So you might still have time to get it unclogged. But some are stubborn.

Not all women get a definable clogged area. I don't. I just randomly get chills and a fever and it's here. So you might not be able to "access" the clog through manual compression (mine are too deep in my breasts to feel). So try various nursing positions. But if the fever comes, call a doc. It does sound like you are on your way to mastitis. I get it all the way til I'm done nursing (haven't with Jo, yet!). So it's not only at the beginning of nursing.

Oh, and sorry It stinks.
November 21st, 2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks for thr info. This blows. I'm really getting worried about working tomorrow night now. I typically pump twice during the 12 hour shift so fx'd it's not busy and I can do it more often.
November 21st, 2013, 10:25 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Use moist heat! Hot water bottle with a wet washcloth underneath..change it out when it cools down...then nurse....and rest. Repeat all day. Put your feet up, get in bed, or on the couch, and just nurse and use moist heat all day. Also, hot showers often. Should clear in 24-48 hours with these ideas. And change nursing positions.
November 22nd, 2013, 11:06 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
How are you feeling today Misty?
November 22nd, 2013, 01:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yuck, mastitis SUCKS so much. I've had it once this time around, and it was awful. I couldn't feel a knot in there either, and no amount of massaging etc worked. I had to take abx for it.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
November 22nd, 2013, 02:57 PM
Dead. Avery was up every stinking hour last night from 1130pm-5am. On the plus side though I made her nurse every time she opened her eyes. Lol Started running a temp of 100.5 all night and was really nauseated and achy with a headache and breast pain. I tried a shower this morning but with the holidays next week I went ahead and made an appt to get it checked. My OB didnt have any openings so I had to go to my PCP. They obviously didn't deal with this very often. They gave me Keflex and said if it happens again to call my OB. But the NP also told me not to nurse on the affected side and just pump and dump that one. Umm I dont make enough to dump milk and she's been nursing on it without problems. Should I be pumping that side or just keep nursing like I'm doing?
November 22nd, 2013, 03:32 PM
May 2013 Cohost
The nurse is wrong! You absolutely can and should nurse on the affected side - it will help clear it up!
ashj_1218 likes this.
November 22nd, 2013, 05:28 PM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
I agree with Kary. Definitely keep nursing on the affected side. That's always one of the first things listed to help Mastitis! I hope you are able to get some antibiotics and get to feeling better soon. Mastitis seriously sucks.

November 22nd, 2013, 07:05 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Yeah, the nurse was very wrong. Keep nursing. Milk isn't affected and it can help get it out quicker.

Hopefully tomorrow is better. Couple doses of the antibiotic will do wonders for how you feel. Sorry you are dealing with it
November 24th, 2013, 09:35 AM
I had a bad problem with Cicely when she was younger (2mos or so) when I swore I was getting something. I ended up taking some long warm baths and snuggling with her and letting her nurse often. It cleared it up in the same day, but I'm pretty sure mine was a clogged duct. Good luck, either way I know it doesn't feel good.

(hi I am new - but trying to get involved. I hope this helps)
November 26th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
Are you feeling any better, Misty?

November 27th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Yep! We ended up not being terribly busy that night and I was able to pump roughly every 3 hours all night. So between Avery nursing constantly Friday, pumping at work, and frequent nursing Saturday by Sunday morning it felt a lot better. Still taking the antibiotics but the pain and redness are gone. I never wsnt to experience that again. Thanks for asking.
November 27th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad you are feeling better!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search