Should I force a nap?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2013, 05:47 PM
Super Mommy
Wyatt doesn't nap during the day besides maybe 2 little 15-30 minute catnaps. But he is CRANKY most of the day and exhausted by 5:30 and I have to force him to 6:50 when he LOSES IT and we start his bedtime routine. He is then asleep by 7:15ish and sleeps all night till 6-7ish. My sister is telling me I HAVE to nap train him and get him to take at least one good 2 hour-ish nap during the day.

The reason I haven't done this earlier is because I am TERRIFIED it will mess him up from sleeping all night long. And I need that. I mean- I NEED THAT!!

What are your opinions? Do you think getting him to nap would mess up his nighttime sleep?
December 3rd, 2013, 06:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm I'm not sure if it would mess up his sleep, but how will you force a nap? I know if I laid Lilah down to nap and she didn't want to, she'd cry non stop...probably for hours knowing her. She has cut out her evening nap (which she still needs but REFUSES to take), so she's up from around 3-7pm straight every day. It gets to be hell around 5:15pm.....and just gets worse. It takes all my time/energy to occupy her until 6:15 when I can do her bath, and then it's a serious struggle to make it to 7pm.

She naps 3 times a day, and she's up 2-3 times a night. I really think all babies are different when it comes to this. If she didn't nap during the day, I'm willing to bet money that she'd still be up 2-3 times during the night.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
December 3rd, 2013, 06:22 PM
Super Mommy
I would do CIO. I don't have a problem with that method. I know he could probably use the nap, he 's just not used to getting one because I never put him down for it so as to not mess up nighttime sleep. :/

So I might have created a naptime monster.
rheaimedved likes this.
December 3rd, 2013, 06:32 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know. I've given up all predicting when it comes to baby's sleep. Grady has been barely napping during the day and still getting up all night. I guess it would be worth a try and if it messes up his sleep then go back to what you were doing?

December 3rd, 2013, 08:48 PM
Cicely went through a phase where she would only sleep for 20 minutes a few times a day, and was fussy for the rest of the day. I finally said enough was enough and started to encourage a more regular naptime for her. Do we always stick to it? No. But when we do, it is helpful. On a good day, she will take a half hour morning nap, a two hour afternoon nap and an evening nap for 30. She still sleeps through the night on top of that. Keeping consistent is key Good luck!
December 3rd, 2013, 10:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I do not believe a longer daytime nap during the day would hurt his nighttime sleeping. Misha takes about 4 naps during the day (730 am to 9 pm) which all vary in length. He usually sleeps 1.5-2 hours at least once, and the rest are 30-60 minutes. Some days he gets fewer naps (because we're out, or whatever) or sleeps less overall, and it doesn't change how he sleeps at night (which is always not great) . He is definitely in a better mood if he sleeps more, though, and it gives us a break. Obviously all babies are different, but I would definitely try to encourage more napping.
December 3rd, 2013, 10:56 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I wouldn't worry about it messing up his nighttime sleep. In fact, it has been shown that sleep begets sleep. Babies need naps to recharge. If he's showing signs of crankiness, then you should encourage him to nap. Between 6-9 months of age, they need about 14 hours sleep total in a 24 hr cycle.

Baby sleep basics: 6 to 9 months | BabyCenter
December 4th, 2013, 03:45 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Avery is sleeping less and less during the day and after some sleep training is finally sleeping through the night. She still does 3 naps a day but they're shorter than they used to be. Anywhere from 30 min to an hour each and she's happy throughout the day with them. If she gets cranky I will absolutely force her to nap, even if its just a 15 minute refresher. I usually just hold her for that though. I tried CIO with a nap once but after maybe 5 minutes I figured by the time she fell asleep it'd really be time for her to get up so I just hokd her for naps or wear her. Babies need sleep during the day to recharge. I don't think day naps woukd mess up his night sleeping, and would make him a happier baby during the day, but you could always go back if you didn't like the new sleeping.
December 4th, 2013, 07:55 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Misty, what sleep training did you do with Avery for overnight? Lexi still wakes 1-2 times a night - not bad, but I know it could be better.
December 4th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
^ Same with Lilah - up twice a night to eat. I think she might actually be hungry, since she's barely eating any solids and will only drink just over 4oz at a time.....but I'm still always curious to hear what sleep training methods others have used!

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
December 4th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks everybody! I went for it- he's in his crib and has been napping for 45 minutes now! The real test will be to see how he sleeps tonight...
December 4th, 2013, 05:51 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Good for you kurly! One thing I have learned is that it's ok to try something new...if it doesn't work you can always go back to other way!
December 4th, 2013, 06:09 PM
I ended up going against everything I ever thought I would and let her CIO. Since we moved back in her house her sleeping had been horrible. Honestly though it wasn't that bad. The last straw for me was last Thursday night when she was SNORING in my arms. I was just beside myself with exhaustion and the second I laid her down she started screaming. It was either walk away or get mad so I walked away. She only cried for 20 minutes at the most and was out. She woke up at midnight and 3 am and each time I walked in, nursed her, put her back to bed, and walked out without saying a word. Friday night was the same thing, but that time when I laid her down she fussed maybe 30 seconds each time. Saturday night she went down quietly and slept 10 hours straight! Sunday night she regressed some and woke at midnight and 430. Monday night was worse, 11,2,3, and I just let her cry for a while at 3 until I just got up anyway. Tuesday I realized the 2 nights she woke up she was wearing the blanket sleeper sack. The nights she slept well she was in the blanket footed sleepers. I put her in the footed last night and she slept 10 hours again. I think she was getting her legs caught up in the other one and it was waking her up. Just put her down again. She cried maybe 5 minutes and is conked out. Hoping she sleeps all night again.
LabLover13 likes this.
December 4th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Brock's minion
Someone mentioned something in a post months ago about not waiting longer than two hours after wake up for nap time. I started that at about 5 months and it worked like magic. He sleeps from 10-11 and second nap is about 2-4:30 (ish).

Michelle
December 5th, 2013, 05:10 AM
It worked! She slept 10.5 hours again! Who knew it was her sleeper waking her up. Wondering how long ago she would have been sleeping if I had thought of that sooner. I swear sometimes we are our own worst enemies. Lol
December 5th, 2013, 05:33 AM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
Misty, I'd read that it's common to face a regression on the 3rd or 4th night when doing CIO training...so it may be related, or not. Whatever works for you guys!!

We stopped swaddling Claire last night. The night before, she'd rolled over onto her tummy while swaddled and woke up screaming. Scared the bejeezus out of me. We had to go cold turkey. Last night went ok...she woke up for a bottle much earlier than she normally does, so I'm hoping that doesn't turn into a habit. She goes down for the night really easily, but it's hard to get her to go back to sleep from her night wakings without a bottle. I'm going to ask the pedi today when we should stop feeding her at night.
December 5th, 2013, 06:24 AM
My sister (the pedi np one) told me at Thanksgiving that after 6 months they don't need to eat at night anymore. They get all of their calories during the day, but that doesn't mean they won't still want to eat at night. Just physiologically it's not necessary.
LabLover13 likes this.
December 5th, 2013, 09:39 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Misty-I stopped using the sleep sacks because they were waking him up too!

December 5th, 2013, 10:41 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Hmm...maybe I should try not putting her in one too...or maybe move up a size? Feels wierd to not cover her with something though!
December 5th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Super Mommy
He slept all night, and is currently napping for an hour and 15 minutes and counting....geez! No fight either- just went and laid him down when he got fussy and he was out. Life is good....life is good.

And about the sleep sacks- we never were able to use them because they made Wyatt so mad he couldn't move. We just do a warm sleeper with socks and a onesie underneath. Plenty warm!
NewlyMrs likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search