Separation anxiety?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LabLover13
  • 1 Post By Erin80

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Is anyone else's baby going through this huge right now???? Lilah doesn't even want to go to DH when he gets home.

I'm taking her to the Dr to get her checked for an ear infection today to see if that's what's keeping her up at night, and if they're all clear, we are going to start some sleep training because her sleeping is getting out of hand. Last night she went down fine at 6:45pm, woke up crying at 9 and refused to go back to sleep even though she was just dead tired until after 11pm...she'd scream in her bed every time I laid her down, but yet she'd fall asleep fine on me in her glider. I'm wondering if it's separation anxiety. She then woke again at 3, downed a bottle, and then was up for the day at 5:45am. I know today will be a day of catnapping. It kills me to see her THIS tired but refusing to sleep, it will be good to rule out an ear infection.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
December 17th, 2013, 05:35 AM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
Poor Lilah. Poor YOU!

I think it's good that you're getting her checked out, especially since she's had a few colds.

Once you get the all clear, hopefully you'll be able to sleep train her. Read this article: Don't Have a CIO Panic Attack - Troublesome Tots

It really helped me see the "light", and gave me the confidence to do what we needed to do with Claire to get her to sleep. Good luck! Keep us posted!
kurly likes this.
December 17th, 2013, 05:35 AM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
Oops double post!
December 17th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Super Mommy
Great article! I am a huge believer in CIO. It's sad that it has such a negative face to it. Teaching good sleep habits is part of our job as parents. Don't our children cry when we are enforcing other rules for their own safety? Such as: don't chew on the power cord? Should I just go ahead and let him because he will CRY if I make him stop? Sleep is important, as is non-electrocution! Lol. Why is one an acceptable reason to cry and the other is not?? I know it's hard and may take time, but that's like most lessons we have/will teach our kids.

Now- that being said, I hope sweet little Lilah doesn't have an ear infection- poor little love.

Last edited by kurly; December 17th, 2013 at 09:33 AM.
December 17th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks!! The app't is at 2:40....so we shall see! If no ear infection, sleep train boot camp starts tonight!

December 17th, 2013, 01:26 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Go Erin, you can do it!!
December 17th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No ear infection.......so she is just flat out refusing to sleep!

December 17th, 2013, 03:09 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is she still sick with a cold though?

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
December 17th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
She's much better now Joy.....I think the cold was definitely what started this, and I was very compassionate and sympathetic about it because I understood she was feeling yucky. Now though, she's much better, just a tiny bit stuffy.....but she's thrown off her sleep routine because of being sick, so we need to somehow get her back on. After talking to DH tonight, we just can't do CIO. We didn't do it with our other two either. I just can't listen to her cry, I'm a wimp I guess. We'll just have to muddle through this and try to get her back on some kind of decent night time routine.

December 17th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope she feels better. Roman is getting over RSV. Yuk!!

I wouldn't say he has separation anxiety but he definitely prefers to be with me. He's a big Mommas boy! Hell go to others without issue but if I come near he leans and reaches for me. I'm told he's very fussy for others as well (even when I leave him home with DH) but I almost never have an issue with him. Hes usually very content with me.

Last edited by Memi; December 17th, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
December 17th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
^ Sounds like Lilah! She's very content and happy, all smiles when I have her. If DH has her though, she's more fussy...especially if I'm in the room and she can see me. She just looks at me and whines. Once I take her, she's all smiles again.
Memi likes this.

December 17th, 2013, 07:25 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Lexi is fine between me and DH. She gets nervous with others, though. She kind of stiffens and looks somber and searches for me. She hasn't flat out cried yet though.
December 17th, 2013, 08:21 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad she's feeling better...maybe just give her a little more time if you don't want to do CIO. (I'm not a fan of letting them cry either, I'm too much of a softy!)
Maybe just try to slowly nudge her bedtime in the right direction, and keep encouraging her to go back to sleep at night (like you're already doing). I bet she'll get back on track soon! At least, for your sake, I hope!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
December 17th, 2013, 08:44 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also haven't been able to bring myself to do CIO but Grady is a pretty good sleeper these days so I haven't been pushed to the brink. Hope Lilah starts giving you some more solid sleep soon. Hang in there!

December 18th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
Kaeldra is also going through huge separation anxiety and is hard to pass onto my husband now, even for a quick shower. Some nights she will go long stretches (like 6-8 hours of sleep), but other nights are horrible. The night before last she was up 7 times. It's SO hard to put her down at night because she starts crying immediately, but she can fall asleep in my arms fine. She also has always gone to bed extremely late. I feel like I probably need to start sleep training her, but how do I even do that when she's still in the bedroom with me? I don't really mind the not sleeping well for myself, since I'm not working and don't have any other kids to worry about, but she gets way less sleep per day than what they say babies should be getting, so I worry about that.

December 19th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Last night was good. She was down around 8pm, up at 1am for a bottle, woke up at 4:45 but found her own soother and put herself back to sleep, then up at 5:45 for a bottle and for the day.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search