Solids

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By Erin80
  • 2 Post By Counting our Blessings

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2014, 08:22 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I know that there was a post about solids awhile back by Rhea, but I'm a little worried about Kody not eating solids. His big brother Ethan started on solids at 4 1/2 months old, and was a good eater, so I'm not sure what to make of Kody. I've been conservative on solids because he seemed to react to a lot of what I tried on him, so I just kept him to the ones that worked well, squash and sweet potatoes. But whenever he's sick he doesn't really want any solids, and so I just nurse him instead. Lately he's had a run of a couple illnesses back to back and really hasn't eaten any solids for several weeks. Tried again today and he just bats the spoon away. I tried also just giving him a chunk of ripe banana but he didn't want to eat that, just squished it between his fingers.

Anyway, I don't want him to have some aversion to solid foods. Should I be worried yet or just wait it out and try him again?

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 8th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Super Mommy
Well I'm not an expert in this department, but from what I understand- "food before one is just for fun" - meaning it's fine if they are under one and not eating solids yet. Formula/Breastmilk is sufficient enough to sustain their nutrition.

I can see how it would throw you for a loop though, because Ethan started early. Kody should be fine though. I know he has reflux issues and maybe that plays a role in it for him?
January 8th, 2014, 11:04 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Totally normal. Each baby will react differently to foods. Even in the same family. Some aren't experimental (my Liam wasn't), some will eat anything and everything (Kieran), and some are middling. Some will refuse even past a year and suddenly pick it up (my first nanny child). It's all completely normal. Keep offering, but don't be disappointed if he just isn't interested or only wants to play instead of eating. Anywhere from "piggie who eats whatever is there" to "refuses and only wants to nurse/bottle" is completely normal for an 8-month-old. He won't develop a food aversion simply because he isn't interested, he just might be a slower experimenter with foods (playing with it is a great thing at this age, Jo still mostly plays with hers).
EverydayJoy likes this.
January 8th, 2014, 01:11 PM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anna is the same way. She's hated all the purees I've tried and the only thing we've had success with is chopped up broccoli. But, like the others have said, it's normal. Just keep trying and eventually he'll catch on.
January 8th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lilah isn't into solids at all either. My first was definitely the most interested out of all my girls. My middle girl was just like Lilah - I think she started to be more interested around 9 months. At this point with Lilah, I'm stopping altogether with purees. I have poured SO much food down the drain. Today I did try yogurt and it's the first thing she just went crazy for, she loved it. She also loves her net feeder....have you tried one? She loves bananas in it, and apple. I just bought some nectarines to try and some watermelon. Also, on Christmas Eve I put some mashed potato on her tray for her to mess with, and she seemed to like that....though it did make her gag a few times because it's thicker than what she's used to. She seems to really prefer to feed herself though.
EverydayJoy likes this.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
January 8th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
As others have said it depends on the child Zara was really slow with solids and picky where as Joshua eats everything I make the most recent is chicken with apple and sweet potato to be honest I don't think he would stop eating if I let him however Zara is still picky and it's a fight to get her to eat lots even now and she's 7 my friends daughter didn't start eating solids till she was 14months

January 8th, 2014, 05:58 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto to all of the above. You are already giving him the best and all he needs!

January 8th, 2014, 06:58 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Joy,

Do you make your own food or use jars or pouches? Have you tried fruits? Also, do you think it could be a texture thing? You mentioned you gave Kody a chunk of banana - maybe he doesn't know how to eat it in that form. Try mashing it, or mixing it with breast milk to make it real smooth? Just some ideas...Lexi does some of the fruit pouches - they're super smooth and sweet, so she really likes those.

I just bumped Lexi up to 3 times a day in an attempt to get her to sleep longer at night. Yeah right!
January 8th, 2014, 09:04 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks everyone for the input! I'm glad to know he won't have permanent issues with solids if he doesn't eat them right now.

Kurly, I think the reflux definitely plays a part in it.

Erin, I haven't tried a net feeder yet, I'd like to get one though!

Kary, I use the jars because it's what we get on WIC. But I've tried blending fresh banana and he wasn't really interested either. I think I'll just keep trying stuff until he figures it out, or until I figure him out!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 9th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good luck Joy! Good advice from everyone. We've also had all different types.
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search