Useless baby items

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By kurly
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By misty3281
  • 1 Post By Shufu_in_Shunan

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2014, 10:20 AM
May 2013 Cohost
So, now that our babies are around the 9 month mark, what are some baby items that you ended up not using as much as you initially thought you would?

For us, it's been the video monitor and bottles! I bought a brand new video monitor bc my son is still using the old one, and I bought all new nipples for bottles. We never set up the video monitor - just used the audio monitor that we have as a back up. And Lexi doesn't use bottles at all!
January 29th, 2014, 10:37 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We had bought around 12 bottles and only ended up using 4 and haven't touched any of the extra size 2 and 3 nipples. I LOVE my video monitor, but the sound never worked right on it so I bought an audio monitor to go with it. Really could have done without that since she is only right across the hall.
January 29th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Super Mommy
Omg, my video monitor is my most FAVORITE baby item we got! It gives me such peace of mind to be able to click in and see how he is doing. He's in there alone from 7pm to 7am, so if I couldn't see him for 12 hours, I think I'd go nuts, lol!

I think the thing I didn't get as much use out of that I thought I would is the Boppy. The most use it gets is from ME when i use it as a pillow when I play on the ground with him.

And shoes. He's had shoes on maybe all of twice in his life, lol.
Mrsbowbin likes this.
January 29th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm with Kary on the Boppy. I used it all the time with my first son, and barely used it with Chase. Maybe a few times in the hospital, but that's it.

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

January 29th, 2014, 01:41 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Totally agree on the Boppy! I used it a lot with my first, but barely with Lexi.

Kurly - I felt the same way about the video monitor with my first! I am just way more lax this time around!
kurly likes this.
January 29th, 2014, 02:37 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use the boppy daily still. It's funny how something can seem useless to one person yet invakuable to another.
kurly likes this.
January 29th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Kenzie's Avatar Photography Momma
Love my video monitor and CJ hated his boppy.
January 29th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Never used a boppy with Lilah, or any of my babies really. Never used baby washcloths or baby towels for Lilah. I wish I had a video monitor! Lilah has a bazillion pairs of shoes, but has worn only 1 pair....and those are crib shoes (like Robeez). They are all hand me downs from my first daughter though, because when she was a baby I used to dress her up every single day in a nice outfit and shoes. Lilah lives in sleepers!

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
January 29th, 2014, 07:22 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
We have a ton of crap sitting around here that doesn't get used. Lol. Boppy, Bumbo, baby spoons, bottles, the swing, the monitor (although I still use the one in the boys room), a lot of her headbands (she learned to pull them off months ago), basically any 6-9 month clothes proved useless (she grew through that size in no time flat), and half the baby toys laying around. We don't use near the number of items that we did with the boys. Prolly pretty normal. But some of those we didn't even use with the boys either. Was just things we felt like we *had* to have!
January 29th, 2014, 08:02 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Ok, we may be setting up the video monitor soon...just tonight Lexi went from tummy time to sitting up alone! We had to lower her crib mattress tonight for the first time!
January 29th, 2014, 11:29 PM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
I think we've gotten pretty good use out of most of our stuff except some clothes that she grew out of way faster than I expected. I use the Boppy allllll the time lol. I don't have a monitor, but she's still in the bedroom with me to sleep. Last night I went downstairs to do the dishes and had a Skype video call going from my iPod to my laptop so I could keep an eye on her that way lol.
rheaimedved likes this.

January 30th, 2014, 12:59 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Hey Kim,

How are you liking the baby futon? Do you worry about her crawling away or falling out?
January 30th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Hey Kim,

How are you liking the baby futon? Do you worry about her crawling away or falling out?
Well, she's actually been sleeping on my futon with me lately because she has such bad separation anxiety, so I guess that is sort of a useless baby item right now, haha. I'm not concerned about her falling because it's not high enough off the ground for her to fall. She doesn't usually roll in her sleep, but if she wants to she can just roll right to the floor off of the futon without getting hurt (it's only about 2 inches high). Since she can sit herself up now, though, she'll wake up crying, sit up, and try to crawl on me. That makes it hard for any kind of sleep training, if I ever wanted to do that. Last night she woke up 6 times. :/

January 30th, 2014, 09:39 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Could you buy a Pack n Play or a crib? Maybe that would help?
January 30th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Brock's minion
My list of useless stuff is endless! I'm hoping my sister-in-law will use some of it when she has kids or that we use it with our next baby.
-boppy
-sling
-baby bjorn
-40 outfits
-10 pairs of shoes
-breast pump
-breast feeding supplies
-the list goes on and on
Oh and my pregnancy workout DVDs and my post baby Zumba DVDs

I swear if we don't have another boy my poor daughter is going to be rocking a lot of dudes clothing!!!

Oh I live for baby wash clothes, I don't use them for bathing, I use them for meal time.

Michelle
January 30th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Could you buy a Pack n Play or a crib? Maybe that would help?
I've thought about it, but all the cribs I've seen for sale here are the drop-side type and the Pack and Plays are really overpriced because they're imported. It just seems like kind of a waste of money when they won't be used for very long, and she'd still be in our room even if we had a crib. I don't think she's a good candidate for CIO, anyway. I have tried to let her cry a couple of times, but she just cries harder and harder until she's wide awake.

January 31st, 2014, 01:34 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can totally relate to this post. I've been kicking myself for awhile about some of the stuff we wasted $$ on.

-bumbo
-boppy
-wipes warmer
-diaper genie (we just take them right outside)
-$70 stroller carseat adapter. We ended up getting the key fit caddy which was a life (and back) saver
-newborn clothes

February 3rd, 2014, 09:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Not much, fortunately! I'm a solid combination of lazy and cheap. The main thing is a lot of the 0-3 month clothes, since he was huge right from the start, and pretty much all onesies, because I hate them. The moby wrap (got it used, fortunately) has gotten almost no use, but I'm holding out for him maybe sleeping in it on our 16 hour plane right in May (wishful thinking?)!
February 26th, 2014, 06:24 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Would Misha even fit in the Moby wrap at that point?!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search