How do you wean?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2014, 10:53 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So now that Avery's 1st birthday is only 6 weeks away I'm starting to think more on how to go about weaning her. We will be moving soon and she'll be going to daycare so I would rather her be on regular milk period so we don't have to worry about pumping and everything. I just have no clue how to go about doing it. She'll take a formula fairly easy now, so it not so much her nursing I'm worried about. I don't know what to do as far as drying up my milk so I'm not hurting all day and can't pump. How does it work?
February 27th, 2014, 11:13 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Well, with my son, by the time he reached the age of 1, he was down to 1 nursing session a day, the morning one. He was taking a nighttime bottle of pumped milk at the time and I pumped once a day, right after he went to sleep for the night. I switched him to regular milk cold turkey in the sippy cup for all his daytime feedings, served with meals, but I did let him continue do his morning nursing session. He basically gave up his nighttime bottle up on his own, becuase he was getting full at regular meals with food and milk. And he was sleeping through the night, something Lexi is not doing, so I never had to anything for middle of the night weaning. He eventually self weaned that morning nursing session around 15 months. I actually kept the nighttime pumping session up though bc I wanted the pumped milk for his baby cereal. So basically when I was emotionally ready, I just stopped the nighttime pumping and then I was done! All in all it was easy, bc I was already down to only two breast feedings when he turned 1.

I also wanted to add that my son started to drink less milk when I went cold turkey to the sippy cup. I had to mix it with yogurt to make smoothies for a while before he would drink regular milk plain. I just kept adding less and less yogurt.

I have no clue what I'll do with Lexi since she's all about the nighttime feeds!
February 27th, 2014, 11:14 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Generally you want to do it slowly so you can adjust, like dropping one pumping session at a time (or spreading them out more) until you are comfortable again, then dropping another, etc.
If you want to do it more drastically, I've heard cabbage leaves (bruise them first) in your bra can help, antihistamines, and I wonder if there are any teas on the market or herbs that you could use?
rheaimedved likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 28th, 2014, 06:13 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree. Go slow. That's what happened with us and I had no pain whatsoever.

I'm scared of weaning from the bottle. Grady loves his milk and snuggle time. I still think he's too young but I'll think about it more after his birthday.

February 28th, 2014, 07:13 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. As it is now I can go 13-14 hours at night without nursing and it doesn't bother me at all. I can go pretty long during the day too. I decided after she gets over her cold and the diarrhea that started today I'll cut back to nursing in the morning when she wakes up and before bed at night and use formula 1-2 times per day depending on what she wants. She eats solids pretty well so she gets full with that too.
March 4th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Funny you asked about the tea, Joy, I was thinking of it when I started reading the post. There's a "no more milk" tea by Earth Mama Angel Baby; here is a list of the ingredients: Mentha piperita (organic peppermint) leaf, Petroselinum crispum (organic parsley) leaf, Hibiscus sabdariffa (organic hibiscus) flower, Salvia officinalis (organic sage) leafI was really bummed when I found out peppermint tea isn't recommended for nursing mothers, it's my favorite!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search