Would you take your kid to the doctor just for being "off"?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2014, 01:48 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I mean, I'm certainly not a first-timer here, so you'd think I'd know these things.

But Jo is just 'off.' Her sleeping SUCKS. It's been heading downhill for weeks and I'm just over it. She is irritable and hard to settle. She wakes constantly. She isn't nursing as well or as much. She is slightly clingier (but we have been busier too). But there is nothing glaringly wrong, no fever, no rashes or signs of pain. No teething (I don't think). No pulling at her ears. Just a vaguely unhappy baby who seems to be getting worse instead of better. Her attitude has certainly changed, but I kinda attribute that to just knowing more what she wants and being more assertive.

But I'm getting frustrated because nothing I'm doing seems to help with any of it. We are really doing her routine for night and she understands what is happening, but fights it every time. And then wakes an hour later to start all over again. Sometimes Tylonel helps, but sometimes not.

But I guess I'd hate to take up an appt and I'd feel idiotic if its just stuff I should know is a stage. Plus, my middle boy is kinda doing the same and I figure it's unlikely they are both sick. Maybe just both unsettled (he IS teething, so I think it's more that for him)? I'm just tired of fighting for every shred of sleep and getting no time for myself at all. Would you take her in? Or wait it out more?
March 5th, 2014, 02:08 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Maybe it's her ears again. Often time there is no ear pulling or fever. Just a feeling your child is off and bad sleep. If she's prone to ear infections, I would definitely be going in. Better safe than sorry!
March 5th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd go get her checked out - nothing wrong with wanting peace of mind.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
March 5th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Brock's minion
I am a first timer but at this stage I've kind of lost my case of the crazies. I would think if things have stayed the same for 3-5 days what could it hurt? If your gut is telling you to I think there is a reason.

Michelle
March 5th, 2014, 09:43 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's a great idea just to rule out anything you can fix. I know I'd be taking mine in...please, please, just give me something to make them sleep!!!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 6th, 2014, 10:43 AM
hangaroo81's Avatar Veteran
Quinn is going through a fussy period as well. In the book the wonder weeks, they say there's a fussy period between 40-46 weeks. This fussy period helps them understand sequences where they start to understand that linking certain actions together will reach certain goals. When Quinns fussier than usual, I always pull the book/app out and look at their handy chart. It's a great tool and shows you when to except the next fussy period! It also tells you how they may act like: cries more, clingy, more shy around strangers, sleeps poorly, loses appetite, babbles less, refuses to have diaper/clothes changed...the list goes on.

If you feel like something isn't right though, it wouldn't hurt to get her checked out.
March 6th, 2014, 10:55 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry things have been rough. I would take her in for peace of mind too.

March 6th, 2014, 12:30 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
So, I took her. And it's not her ears. The doc thinks she has seasonal allergies!! I've never heard of them so young. She said she has seen a rash of them lately, since our weather has been so weird and they all present pretty similarly. And it really does fit. She rubs her face a lot, has a cough only in the morning, and rubs around her ears. She said her ear drums are retracted, which means there is pressure pulling on them (but no fluid and no infections). Soooo....we wait it out There isn't really anything safe for babies for allergies, so we just hope it passes quickly. She did, however, tell me that it's probably what Kieran is struggling with too and I can give him some Zyrtec to help. Liam already takes it everyday, which explains why he isn't suffering from it. Hubby does too and I don't have allergies. I guess I'm glad I went, since it wasn't something even on my radar. But it sucks that we might continue like this for months, since who knows what she is reacting to and when it plans to leave. Bah. I need a drink. (Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!)
March 6th, 2014, 04:09 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, well I'm glad you took her. I'm sorry though that they couldn't prescribe anything for her. Seems strange though, because when I took Kody in to the doctor for a chest cold, he prescribed Claritin for during the day, to try to dry out his secretions. I wonder if it would be safe to do a little bit of Benadryl or something, at least to make her more comfortable in the evenings? I would see if there are any homeopathic remedies that you could give to her. Hyland's makes allergy remedies for kids, not sure how young you can give though.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 6th, 2014, 08:49 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
^^Good tip. I didn't know Hylands did allergy things. And poking around online, it looks like some docs will prescribe allergy stuff rather young and others like to wait til the kid is 2. Apparently mine falls in the later category, but if tonight is just as rough, I think I'll call back in the morning and see how they feel about Claritin or Benadryl. Online, I read that several docs even gave Zyrtec, but since she mentioned that one specifically for just Kieran, I won't ask about it. I've been scoping out some essential oils I might be able to use as well
EverydayJoy likes this.
March 6th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DS1 started up with seasonal allergies by the age of one. I always felt so bad for him. I never had allergies, so I had no idea what he was going through He is 11 now, and I can always tell when he starting to get them. He gets a bit of an attitude, which is so not like him, has a hard time focusing, either has trouble sleeping, or falls asleep way before bedtime. He just started all of that earlier this week, so we went right to the Claritin. I tried Zyrtec with him once years ago, and it turned him into a monster, yet it works so well for everyone else I know. Anyway, I'm glad you went with your gut and took her in. At least you have some peace of mind just knowing what is wrong, even if there is isnt a whole lot you can do for it I hope it passes soon! Poor little gal

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search